Railroad Forums 

• NJ Transit's Morrisville Yard

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1199177  by Jtgshu

Nah, the new tower is the square attached to the building with the red awning. Right behind what looks like a white van on that little street in front of the building.
 #1199228  by 25Hz

I popped up the driveway off of lower morrisville rd last summer to catch a glimpse of some local freight moves, got a video of a red hot soot shooting NS SD40-2 muscling a string of full ethanol tank cars eastbound. Also got some dusk photos of the east end of the yard Sadly they were on my 4 & i forgot to upload them before going to the att store and getting the 4S. If i get a chance will visit again & post what i get in this thread.

There is the possibility of the yard being empty, so i'll try to go mid-day, overnight, or weekend. ;)
 #1199236  by Jtgshu

ns3010 wrote:
nick11a wrote:Trust is supposed to be Rule 261, not 251 Jt.
Oh my..........

Ladies and gentlemen, the Overlord hath returned. As has his railroad humor.
Maybe its the diesel fumes, but I didn't even get that yesterday...........thanks Joe for pointing that out.....

Wow...just...wow
 #1199237  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:
ns3010 wrote:
nick11a wrote:Trust is supposed to be Rule 261, not 251 Jt.
Oh my..........

Ladies and gentlemen, the Overlord hath returned. As has his railroad humor.
Maybe its the diesel fumes, but I didn't even get that yesterday...........thanks Joe for pointing that out.....

Wow...just...wow
Message received. I should obey Rule 292... and I quote the rule indication in its entirety:

"Stop."

Oh, and if you're running a Geep long hood forward, you'll get enough of those fumes!
 #1199241  by Jtgshu

Oh for love of.......................
 #1199244  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Oh for love of.......................
Well, I'm not him. I am but a humble public servant, like yourself. Well, maybe I'm not that humble...

I guess we're off topic. Let me attempt to rerail this:

I'm just curious: on any given weekday, how many crewmembers/employees come through Morrisville?
 #1199319  by pumpers

Questions on two topics:

In John Almeida's pictures, the large building on the south side of the yard (presumably for maintenance of rolling stock) is not visible. When was this built? Was this part of the original plan and just waiting for $$ for the next phase, or something that came up later? Or am I completely missing something on his pictures. John does have some pictures of what look like fuel or sanding racks that I don't see on google maps -- maybe the new building subsumed them?

Second, on google maps there is a large piece of land, almost as big as the yard itself, between the yard and a freight lead that loops to the north. Does NJT own this land , and have any immediate plans for it?
JS
 #1199325  by 25Hz

pumpers wrote:Second, on google maps there is a large piece of land, almost as big as the yard itself, between the yard and a freight lead that loops to the north. Does NJT own this land , and have any immediate plans for it?
JS
I believe that half of the yard is owned by NS. Plans - i believe NS wants to either put a car yard, or a locomotive fueling pad and car yard there. NJT could expand to the north half IF NS doesn't end up doing anything there.
 #1199813  by acelaphillies

pumpers wrote: In John Almeida's pictures, the large building on the south side of the yard (presumably for maintenance of rolling stock) is not visible. When was this built? Was this part of the original plan and just waiting for $$ for the next phase, or something that came up later? Or am I completely missing something on his pictures. John does have some pictures of what look like fuel or sanding racks that I don't see on google maps -- maybe the new building subsumed them?
Those pictures were taken during construction before the yard actually opened, so I believe that building was just no built yet. I think it covers up all of those things and the inspection pits. The facility is only about 10 years old.
 #1199843  by nomis

How to keep a Nick in suspense ...

#1200354  by CPSmith

As a former bassoonist AND a former operator of LHF geeps AND a former worker bee at Morrisville, I may be able to add to the conversation...

Firstly, you CAN march with a bassoon, but I don't recommend it ...and if you're playing it in the sitting position, you want your feet on the floor ...and no, you need neither a hammer nor glue to assemble, but you do want to wax your cork. Never let your cork dry out, I always say...

On to Morrisville... I had the pleasure of working for a sub-contractor during the final construction phase of the NJT Morrisville Service & Inspection (S&I) facility during the fall/winter of 2007 and January of 2008. The S&I facility is the large white building. Although I took a couple hundred photos (more to come), this one is not mine - not sure where it came from, but it's good place to start. It probably dates from 2005 or 2006, since it's in the middle of construction.

The tower / office / crew facility (to the right and under construction) was mentioned in earlier posts. The "trailer park" (lower right corner) all belonged to the various contractors (non-NJT folks). (I sat in one of those buildings for a while.) The road into the facility (bottom) remains today as do the areas for employee parking. The yard itself appears to be in use - not sure if it is was fully electrified at the time. The S&I facility (big white building) appears to be well underway. The "bulge" to the right houses the wheel truing equipment (ground level) and offices (upper level). The long portion (about 1/4 mile in length) houses tracks 1 & 2. The length allows service and inspection to be performed on two 14(?) car train sets simultaneously. (I think the number is 14...) The track in the upper left corner belongs to NS (ex-CR, PC, PRR I believe) and circumvents the NJT yard. Remarkably, NS did not connect directly to the NJT yard, even though the NS yard is just out of sight in the upper right hand corner - all the NJT tracks just gathered up in a couple of stubs and that was it.
 #1200359  by nick11a

Highly difficult marching with a Bassoon... and it is one way to get a vibrato, albeit an unpleasant one. :-)

And, you wouldn't want NS directly connecting with the NJT yard. With all the movements into and out of the yard and onto the NEC, it would be difficult to coordinate.
 #1200371  by CPSmith

Unless you've been in the S&I facility, it's hard to grasp the scale - let's start with these two photos from January 2008 (the end of the construction phase):
 #1200523  by Clear Of BH

nomis wrote:How to keep a Nick in suspense ...

LMFAO!