• NJ Transit's Morrisville Yard

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by acelaphillies

Looking through past topics I don't see any threads on here about the actual Morrisville Yard itself.

I have some questions for those people knowledgeable about the facilities in Morrisville.

Looking at the Google aerial view of the yard, I see a large parking lot along the north side of the yard. Are these the cars of mostly train crews working on the NEC or employees that work at the yard? Also, does the yard employ its own switching crew and have a switcher assigned to the yard? Is Morrisville the second largest NJT Maintenance facility?

Also, forgive me if I am asking for too much, but pictures of this yard completed seem very scarce. If anyone has pictures that they would be willing to share or if any NJT employees would be willing to snap a few shots with their phone, I would greatly appreciate being able to see some shots of the yard. If you employees are not allowed to do this, forget that I even asked.

Thanks for any information!
  by AmTransit

acelaphillies wrote:Looking through past topics I don't see any threads on here about the actual Morrisville Yard itself.

I have some questions for those people knowledgeable about the facilities in Morrisville.

Looking at the Google aerial view of the yard, I see a large parking lot along the north side of the yard. Are these the cars of mostly train crews working on the NEC or employees that work at the yard? Also, does the yard employ its own switching crew and have a switcher assigned to the yard? Is Morrisville the second largest NJT Maintenance facility?

Also, forgive me if I am asking for too much, but pictures of this yard completed seem very scarce. If anyone has pictures that they would be willing to share or if any NJT employees would be willing to snap a few shots with their phone, I would greatly appreciate being able to see some shots of the yard. If you employees are not allowed to do this, forget that I even asked.

Thanks for any information!
The parking lot is for employees working at Morrisville whether they be T&E or Mechanical Department. Some employees park there and deadhead to other terminals like NY. There are 4 yard jobs which work out of Morrisville, first, second and third trick as well as a relief job. Yes Morrisville is the second largest NJT yard facility compared to the Club.
  by Jtgshu

acelaphillies wrote:Thanks for the answers.

Do the switching crews there use a diesel or an electric?
It depends on the type of switching done - considering a lot of trains at MV still are MUs, if you are drilling out MUs, its often easier to use the train to drill out the cars and put them together. All the tracks in the yard are wired, so drilling with an ALP or MUs isn't an issue. However, there is almost always a 4300 series GP40-2 down there for drilling or protect service. They will often use the Geep for relay moves to the MMC, because when you get to the MMC, not all tracks are wired and the cars you might be getting might be on track with no wire.

However, if an ALP is available, or going to be picked up, it will be used, as crews obviously prefer running from an ALP compared to a Geep, which one way (either going up or coming back), you are going to be long nose out.....running at 100mph long nose forward in a Geep is an experience not for the weak hearted!!!

It might be easier to use all three to build a train! Ive drilled out MUs, hopped on an ALP and then the Geep all while building the same train of shopped equipment. Whatever it takes to get it done!
  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:However, if an ALP is available, or going to be picked up, it will be used, as crews obviously prefer running from an ALP compared to a Geep, which one way (either going up or coming back), you are going to be long nose out.....running at 100mph long nose forward in a Geep is an experience not for the weak hearted!
Well, you've got your conductor on the other side, so, you're not running entirely blind on the other side. Trust is supposed to be Rule 261, not 251 Jt.
  by acelaphillies

Jtgshu wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:Thanks for the answers.

Do the switching crews there use a diesel or an electric?
It depends on the type of switching done - considering a lot of trains at MV still are MUs, if you are drilling out MUs, its often easier to use the train to drill out the cars and put them together. All the tracks in the yard are wired, so drilling with an ALP or MUs isn't an issue. However, there is almost always a 4300 series GP40-2 down there for drilling or protect service. They will often use the Geep for relay moves to the MMC, because when you get to the MMC, not all tracks are wired and the cars you might be getting might be on track with no wire.

However, if an ALP is available, or going to be picked up, it will be used, as crews obviously prefer running from an ALP compared to a Geep, which one way (either going up or coming back), you are going to be long nose out.....running at 100mph long nose forward in a Geep is an experience not for the weak hearted!!!

It might be easier to use all three to build a train! Ive drilled out MUs, hopped on an ALP and then the Geep all while building the same train of shopped equipment. Whatever it takes to get it done!
Interesting. It must take a lot of work to keep all of the NEC trains in order because of the very demanding schedules that those trains run.

I assume that the large building visible from the map is where the trains get serviced. What is the smaller building with the red awning at the west end of the parking lot used for?
  by Jtgshu

The smaller building with the red awning is the former yardmaster tower (yes, the place is 10 years old and they already replaced the tower...) and the crew quarters. The new tower is next to (east side of) the building with the red awning.

Nick, it doesn't matter the rules in effect, the color of the sky or if I had waffles for breakfast....running a Geep long nose out at 100mph is annoying. Even with my cond on the "right" side to call signals, i still have to sit there with my body all twisted up, bouncing around with my head and shoulder banging against the window. Anyway, even with your cond over there, sometimes its like they aren't even there in the first place.........
  by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Anyway, even with your cond over there, sometimes its like they aren't even there in the first place.........
I was alluding to that possibility. :-)
  by ACeInTheHole

Gonna play devils advocate here a bit JT.. Whats worse.. A Geep LHF at 100 or a PL42 at 90? Ya do have to remember in the geeps defense that theyre over 40 years old at the youngest and were not initially designed for such high speed.. Its a testament to their quality of construction that they can handle it.. Despite having all the aerodynamic efficiency of a desk.
  by acelaphillies

Jtgshu wrote:The smaller building with the red awning is the former yardmaster tower (yes, the place is 10 years old and they already replaced the tower...) and the crew quarters. The new tower is next to (east side of) the building with the red awning
Ok. Is this the new tower, or is it not built in this photo yet?

Also, for those interested, I have found some pictures of Morrisville Yard taken by John P Almeida during the construction process. Pictures are dated January 6, 2004.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
  by ns3010

nick11a wrote:Trust is supposed to be Rule 261, not 251 Jt.
Oh my..........

Ladies and gentlemen, the Overlord hath returned. As has his railroad humor.
  by AmTransit

There are quite a few "one way" people out here Nick and others that are better off kept in constant Conductor bypass.
  by AmTransit

acelaphillies wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: Ok. Is this the new tower, or is it not built in this photo yet?

Also, for those interested, I have found some pictures of Morrisville Yard taken by John P Almeida during the construction process. Pictures are dated January 6, 2004.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
The buildings you have circled in red are mobile trailers that were used by Bombardier but are no longer there.
  by nick11a

ns3010 wrote:
Oh my..........

Ladies and gentlemen, the Overlord hath returned. As has his railroad humor.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
  by acelaphillies

AmTransit wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: Ok. Is this the new tower, or is it not built in this photo yet?

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
The buildings you have circled in red are mobile trailers that were used by Bombardier but are no longer there.
I guess a mobile trailer and a yardmaster's office aren't quite the same are they? ;)

Is that where the new tower is?