Railroad Forums 

• Garwood Industrial Track Equipment Storage

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1243346  by MBTA1016

I'm just curious, how many trains can they fit at a time at the meadowlands station? It's gonna be interesting to see how NJT does on gameday
 #1243350  by ApproachMedium

They have other places they can lay up trains besides the statium station itself. Its 3 tracks and each can hold about 10 cars a piece from what I was told.

And i would imagine whatever can run is gonna get run that weekend. ALL of the MLV cars are being exhausted from raritan as of this week to provide capacity for meadowlands service.
 #1243359  by ns3010

Steve F45 wrote:anyone think that some of these loco's are being put back in service temporarily for superbowl service? There was an article stating the multilevels will be used for the superbowl service to the stadium which will require the dual modes and pl42's, so im sure they will need a few more engines for all the comet trains on the rvl.
Likely not. Hopefully even NJT realizes that the geeps would not do well with the 8 car Comets on the RVL. Hopefully they'll be wise and leave the PL42's where they are.

Also, consider that aside from the 4106 and 4117, everything pulled from Garwood has been an FH. None of them have run in almost two years now. Especially the 4136 and 4142, they haven't run in many years now, and are not much more than empty carbodies at this point.
 #1243435  by Ken W2KB

ApproachMedium wrote:Who said 8 car comets had to be on the RVL.
NJT said in the customer notice that there would be single level 8 car trains on the RVL to ensure the same service level and capacity as the normally used multilevels.
 #1243503  by Ken W2KB

ApproachMedium wrote:Oh boy. Well any of the EMD variants can pull 8 cars its just going to be slow. The HEP should support it.
More for me to look forward to, then, in my commute. Not only the extra time for passengers walking through the train after ignoring announcements to move forward or back a car or two before arriving at stations with shorter platforms, but longer times between station stops.

Now, if any passengers complain of the extra time, NJT should simply point out that the passengers are getting a bargain, they paid for example, for a 45 minute ride on the train, but are getting 55 minutes at no extra charge. :wink:
 #1243537  by blockline4180

Steve F45 wrote:anyone think that some of these loco's are being put back in service temporarily for superbowl service? There was an article stating the multilevels will be used for the superbowl service to the stadium which will require the dual modes and pl42's, so im sure they will need a few more engines for all the comet trains on the rvl.

I'm still trying to figure out where NJT is getting the extra single level cars from since they say the ML's will be taken out of service for inspection, prepping, cleaning, etc..... And AFAIK, they won't be using the Comet III's!!!
 #1243588  by ThirdRail7

blockline4180 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out where NJT is getting the extra single level cars from since they say the ML's will be taken out of service for inspection, prepping, cleaning, etc..... And AFAIK, they won't be using the Comet III's!!!

NJT just put some more MLV2s in service over the last couple of weeks and changed their consist books. After the Super Bowl, they are supposed to sideline some of the "bad actor" MUs.
 #1249832  by Regardie

Went by the train storage the other day and some of the coaches are sporting some nice tags. The locomotives and coaches have been separated by a couple car lengths. Nothing has moved on the tracks since before the last snow. Some of the track has been covered by snow from the plows in the businesses along the track so I don't expect any movement until spring at this rate.

The thought I had last summer as I was watching the MOW guys working hard on the track, trying to get it up to a serviceable level, was what were they going to do with the track? When they put the switch in down by the GSP it occurred to me, could they be trying to put this into revenue service? The end of the Westbound Cranford Station has been closed for quite some time and it needs to be fixed. Could they close the Westbound platform and use both sides of the Eastbound platform during renovations? They wouldn't have to use the Garwood track full time, but it would provide operational flexibility during the morning and evening rush hours.

Based on the work I saw, the MOW crew would probably need to do another pass over the track before it could be used this way. They did at least two passes over the track last summer to get it where it is now. It can handle low speed moves but revenue speed puts a little more stress on the rails. They didn't do anything with the track in the Garwood station as it is covered with some asphalt to make it easier to get to the Eastbound track for loading. It looks like they averaged about every fourth tie replaced at this point.
 #1250937  by PVRX1

Bids for 18 retired Arrow III MU cars - built 1976-1977 / which would be in the 1304-1333 group and lower #s of the 1334-1553 group - due February 27th.

Winning bid for the locomotives was C&K of Newark. However NJT website does not show the bid being formally awarded as yet.