Railroad Forums 

• Garwood Industrial Track Equipment Storage

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1242606  by airman00

It's interesting some of the numbers on that list because while the 4106 and 4107 are there... sister units 4100 and 4105 are still IN service. 4105 as a work unit and 4100 as a revenue unit. I've seen the 4100 on the pvl alot recently. Also while 4201 is there I've seen the 4202 alot also on the pvl recently. So it seems like one engine can be working while quite literally the next numbered engine in line can be on the dead line.
 #1242612  by ACeInTheHole

airman00 wrote:It's interesting some of the numbers on that list because while the 4106 and 4107 are there... sister units 4100 and 4105 are still IN service. 4105 as a work unit and 4100 as a revenue unit. I've seen the 4100 on the pvl alot recently. Also while 4201 is there I've seen the 4202 alot also on the pvl recently. So it seems like one engine can be working while quite literally the next numbered engine in line can be on the dead line.
I also caught the 4108 today on 853.
 #1242925  by ACeInTheHole

ApproachMedium wrote:Well you dont know that 4106 is actually going to its end, it just left the storage line. Not everything there is being scrapped.
4106 was in service post Sandy too. Unless there was some major failure,I cant see why they would retire/scrap it
 #1242926  by lirr42

Don't you know how they decide what is going to scrap and what is not? They have a big wheel at NJTransit headquarters that has every locomotive on it. Every now and then they spin it and see who's the lucky engine an then the "winner" is sent over to Garwood. On occasion, rational people may "save" a locomotive and remove it from the storage track, like Mr. Medium said.

;-)
 #1242950  by airman00

lirr42 wrote:Don't you know how they decide what is going to scrap and what is not? They have a big wheel at NJTransit headquarters that has every locomotive on it. Every now and then they spin it and see who's the lucky engine an then the "winner" is sent over to Garwood. On occasion, rational people may "save" a locomotive and remove it from the storage track, like Mr. Medium said.

;-)
LOL! I have to say that's funny. :-)
 #1242980  by MBTA1016

airman00 wrote:
lirr42 wrote:Don't you know how they decide what is going to scrap and what is not? They have a big wheel at NJTransit headquarters that has every locomotive on it. Every now and then they spin it and see who's the lucky engine an then the "winner" is sent over to Garwood. On occasion, rational people may "save" a locomotive and remove it from the storage track, like Mr. Medium said.

;-)
LOL! I have to say that's funny. :-)

That's the best thing I heard all day haha. :)
 #1243339  by Steve F45

anyone think that some of these loco's are being put back in service temporarily for superbowl service? There was an article stating the multilevels will be used for the superbowl service to the stadium which will require the dual modes and pl42's, so im sure they will need a few more engines for all the comet trains on the rvl.