Railroad Forums 

• State projects are listed for U.S. funding

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#9210  by Jtgshu

Wow, Im surprised...........this will make NJTrailfan happy!!!

...."The Lackawanna Cutoff rail project from Pennsylvania through northwest New Jersey was included yesterday in new federal transit legislation that labels it as one of the Garden State's key rail projects for future funding....."

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf ... 143960.xml
 #9212  by Butlershops

Frelinghuysen is just trying to get some press here. Anyone can say what projects should be funded (which is what is being said in this article). It is quite another to cut a check.

I'm surprised we haven't heard more of this fluff with the West Shore Line/Nothern/NYSW routes. The local pols used to flap their gums about that project every election year as well.

#9215  by GandyDancer

The rail line, which would have an estimated 684,000 riders daily...
Humm, baby! That's some serious OT. Lemme see....

About 117 seats per C5 X 8 cars = 936 riders per train.
So 936 riders per train / 684,000 total daily riders = 731 trains.

Those block lengths are going to be mighty short.

731 trains X 8 C5's per train = 5,848 new C5's needed.

JT - I think you're gonna have to bring your meals and an extra uni or two on the road :)

As for me, I'm heading to Hornell for a job interview. That looks like long-term employment and I hear real estate is reasonable up there!

#9218  by njt4172

ButlerShops,

I wouldn't get too greedy here. To include the Lackawanna Cutoff with the Hudson Bergen Light Rail and to be authorized within the US SENATE is a big step my friend! Looks like NJTrailfan will be happy.....I am somewhat happy, but until it passes I'm not gonna throw a party just yet.....
:wink:
Steve

#9302  by NJTRailfan

Yes I am happy.....but how happy is another issue. Hopefully the money will be enough to get this service running soon and rebuilt right rather then after the year 2020 and a half assed job where theres problems with the lines and other equipment. I once said that if the cutoff is not up and running smoothly by 2010 (the time when the new WTC will be built) then that's pathetic.

I don't think ridership numbers are that high at all(it would be great)but I'll imagine it's high enough to allow 10 diesel consits a day Mon-Fri with 6-8 cars. and the same length on weekends but only 6-8 a day.

Hopefully with this now i nthe works and it's progressign quite well that the Mt Arlington Statio nwill be built alogn with the Boonton Line and Dover-PM section electrified so that more people will get off Routes 15,10,46,80,202,206,287,etc and start using the train.

NJT within a few years wil lget the tools and $$$ they'll need. They must use it right and wisely and not blow it for services like cutoff, MOM, W Trenton and NYSW to prosper and prevent NJ from becoming the next LA where you have more cars then people,endless gridlock and where the polution and is out of control.

Hopefully Rep Rodney Frelinghysen(R), Anthony Bucco(R) and other politicians and the other polticians will help further in helping the cutoff make a comeback, help NJT and to be tough on crime. The only reasons why I voted for them plus they are amongst a few that brought back any good results.

#9310  by Irish Chieftain

As for ridership estimates, the "don't count your chickens" principle applies; consider the many underestimations for the River LINE...

#9317  by Mudvalve

684,000 daily commuters? Sounds like a misprint. It would be nice top see it come to reality. Does this mean all those commericals i saw on TV about the homes in the poconos with a direct rail link to NYC will become true?

#9364  by Jtgshu

There was an article in the Asbury Park Press today about the Transit bill, and mentioned that there is money in it for the MOM line, but I don't believe there was any mention about the Cut off or even the tunnels for htat matter.....

#9374  by Mudvalve

Just went through that article JT and you were right, no mention of anything other than the MOM line. I guess it's like anything else, wait and see.

#9394  by Olton Hall

Don't get too excited about any of these project getting started anytime soon. I just took a look at the proposed FY 2005 projects and none are listed. The House and Senate are still fighting over the Federal transportation bill and Dubbya will veto it at the current proposed spending limits so major cuts are still in the works.

I did find this interesting bit though under the proposed Transporation Capital Program
Rail Fleet Overhaul
This program provides for the mid-life overhaul and reliability improvements of rail cars including Comet III, IV and Arrow III fleets based on manufacturer recommendations and other rolling stock modifications to meet recently issued FRA and APTA mandated standards
Almost $15 million set aside for this upcoming fiscal year. The FY 2004 budget had the same wording but with Comet IIB in it.

#9433  by NJTRailfan

Well if the money is going to MOM then it's also good. As long as one of the Big 3 projects is going to get underway and completed within a couple of years from day one of the project (MOM, W. Trenton or cutoff)

I'm hoping that the money will also be included for minor projects like MT Arlington Station, electrification extention on Boonton, M&E or NJCL.

#9758  by rvrrhs

Jtgshu wrote:There was an article in the Asbury Park Press today about the Transit bill, and mentioned that there is money in it for the MOM line, but I don't believe there was any mention about the Cut off or even the tunnels for htat matter.....
Of course not. The Asbury Park Press was only talking about the local project in its circulation area.

#10046  by NJTRailfan

Well I'm surprised that they didn't mention the tunnels because once those tunnels come in that would mean more service for NJCL and electrification of that line and possibly not just more money for MOM but electrification and possible NYP service as well.

Sadly newspapers like that are so excited about one thing they don't quite see the big picture of the area as a whole of another project further up north helping their area rail project hand in hand.

#10065  by Jtgshu

Yea, it is wierd, the Asbury Park press has been a big proponent of the Tunnels and transit funding in the the state, but espeically teh Monmouth Ocean county areas, (thats the area it serves)

Im sure there is someplace where all the projects for NJ are listed in the new bill, but I have yet to see it, and in all honestly, too lazy to look....,anyone seen it and what are the projects and the best case senario dollar amounts

#10105  by njt4172

Why do I have this really funny feeling that the DL&W Cutoff will see trains before the MOM?....It is politics in NJ, GET USE TO IT!!..Get the line that was once abandoned up in service before a line that already has existing freight rail service sees passenger trains.....