• Northern Branch HBLR (was DMU proposal)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by alewifebp

Ending it at Englewood Hospital did seem to be the best compromise. I remember hearing that recommendation a few times when I went to the public meeting last year.

Regarding the comments in the article by the mayor of Tenafly, I'm curious as to what kind of pollution that an electric rail car will make.
  by Iron Horse

Oozone? :) No idea. Perhaps he thinks it's a DMU?
  by kilroy

I'm sure the real pollution he's worried about is the undesirables that will ride the light rail to his town to steal 60" TV's from his taxpayers (rather than steal a car and drive there).
  by AlliedSignal3674

I saw this article in the morning newspaper. I guess the residents of "T" see no value of mass transit and are concerned about folks from out of "T"
coming into their town to use the train (or others from out of town coming into town via the train). So perhaps the term "People's republic of
Tenafly" would apply here?
  by amtrakowitz

Hasbrouck Heights Mayor Rose Heck, a member of the New Jersey Association of Railroad Passengers, and a legendary advocate for light rail in Bergen County, called the idea exciting. “The economic boom it will bring to Bergen County will be astonishing,” she said giddilly.

The fact that no funding – federal or otherwise – has been secured, beyond the funding for the environmental impact statements, didn’t faze her.

“Money will come,” she said. “Money will come.”
Of course it will. From where, now that is the big question.
  by Iron Horse

"NJ Transit’s board will vote Wednesday at its monthly board meeting to contract a Morristown-based engineering firm to begin work on a final impact statement that reflects the compromise Hudson-Bergen light rail proposal, according to a NorthJersey.com report."

http://teaneck.patch.com/articles/nj-tr ... ail-option
  by AlliedSignal3674

Were there any previous provisions, considerations, or studies done for going up to Demarest, Closter, and/or Northvale?
Why was the original plan "only as far north as Tenafly"? Wasn't there much more merit and benefit of going more northward?
Were these towns NIMBY as Tenafly was?
I am very curious why the plan was seemingly so short sighted with either Tenafly or Rt4. options.
  by Iron Horse

The most northern proposal that I saw was Tenafly. I understand that the ROW goes as far north as Norwood, so I suppose that is eventually a possibility.
  by Steve F45

The northern branch goes all the way up to the ny state line. And if I remember correctly Closter did or does want it since they have a nice downtown district. Demarest I think would benefit from all the residents who take the bus or drive to the city. The town on Tenafly is just ridiculous with there claims.
  by Iron Horse

I grew up in Tenafly, and I have no idea what they are thinking.

I live in Englewood Cliffs, work along the HBLR, and really hope that they at least extend the HBLR north to Englewood so that I can use it to commute more than I already do.

Right now I drive to the Tonnelle Ave. terminal and take the train from there.
  by Iron Horse

Another article on the topic:

http://englewood.patch.com/articles/lig ... wood-stops

"On Wednesday, NJ Transit’s board will vote to contract a Morristown-based engineering firm to begin work on a final impact statement that reflects the now-preferred Hudson-Bergen light rail compromise that calls for the line to stop at Route 4 (South Englewood), Englewood Town Centre and Englewood Hospital, the new end of the line."
  by Hawaiitiki

Iron Horse wrote:The most northern proposal that I saw was Tenafly. I understand that the ROW goes as far north as Norwood, so I suppose that is eventually a possibility.
The rails go as far as the NY State Line, the ROW is intact as a rail trail both to Nyack and the West Shore Line. Technically, the original reasoning by rail trails was to preserve rights of way for future use. Nowadays, after a rail trail gets built, you'll have has much luck reconstructing the line as if one had just built housing for "wealthy politically motivated senior citizens" along over the ROW. AKA No Luck at all

I think the young families of Tenafly should have tried and made their voices heard. Property values would have skyrocketed. Unfortunately now, the time has passed and it appears to be Northern Englewood or BUST. Can we please just get to Englewood while I can still walk? Anybody else remember HBLR to Vince Lombardi Park and Ride being sold like a done deal 10-15 years ago?
  by Iron Horse

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/0 ... nsion.html
NJ Transit’s Board of Directors approved $3 million for Jacobs Engineering of Morristown to finish the final environmental impact statement. It will take about two years for the study to be completed, NJ Transit spokesman John Durso Jr. said

Funding for the project has not been identified and there is no timetable for when the line will run in Bergen, he said.
  by SightUnseen

I actually like the compromise. Now just with everything else it needs funding
  by Ken W2KB

alewifebp wrote:Ending it at Englewood Hospital did seem to be the best compromise. I remember hearing that recommendation a few times when I went to the public meeting last year.

Regarding the comments in the article by the mayor of Tenafly, I'm curious as to what kind of pollution that an electric rail car will make.
Two forms of pollution come to mind. (1) the exhaust from automobiles driven to the lightrail parking lot, and/or (2) the increase in electric generation requirements which results in the burning of more fossil fuels. I suspect the automobile exhaust is the prime concern.