Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1258699  by 25Hz

So, barring some endangered creature........ it is possible.

Would be an interesting development, at the very least.
 #1261937  by philipmartin

On the environmental theme, I just noticed a couple of Alp 45s with "original locomotive emissions control information" plates on the outside, like builder's plates. I think it's a great idea, and hope the engines at Steamtown have them too.
On the attached photo, it's probably the white sheet next to the cab door, level with the lower door handle.
 #1261972  by philipmartin

Alp 45 question. It has two 500 gal. fills on each side, I guess for two fuel tanks, one for each diesel. If one tank goes dry, can they run the engine with just the other? Can they run the engine with just one Caterpillar? Or are all the fills there to fill it super fast, with diesel hoses in all four fills at the same time?
Also, why does the law require an F on the front of single end electric or diesel engines. Are they afraid that guys passing signals won't know which end is forward?
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1261973  by DutchRailnut

by FRA rule any locomotive has to have front end designated with F, no matter if its MU car a RDC or freight engine sometimes its not as clear as it will look.
 #1261996  by 25Hz

F end designation likely also helps with paperwork and maintenance, and NTSB investigations. Fore and Aft designations are found in many transport situations, on vehicles, hangars, storage sheds etc.

See video, first item that comes up..... ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1hk8z ... orrow_auto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1262003  by 25Hz

philipmartin wrote:Alp 45 question. It has two 500 gal. fills on each side, I guess for two fuel tanks, one for each diesel. If one tank goes dry, can they run the engine with just the other? Can they run the engine with just one Caterpillar? Or are all the fills there to fill it super fast, with diesel hoses in all four fills at the same time?
Also, why does the law require an F on the front of single end electric or diesel engines. Are they afraid that guys passing signals won't know which end is forward?
From diagrams i've seen, i did not notice anything connecting the two fuel tanks in terms of piping. 500 gallons compared to the 2000-3000 or so gallon tanks found on a geep might not sound like a lot, but the standard home heating oil tank is approximately 275 gallons, to give you some idea of how much this actually is. Passenger diesels, especially older types, are derived from freight locomotives that spend much of their operating days pulling long & heavy trains, thus the larger tanks. The larger tanks also weigh more vs smaller, increasing base tractive effort regardless of fuel level.

I do wonder how many NEC trips a fully fueled 45 with a nominal consist of 10 comets or 8 MLV would be able to make before needing a re-fuel. I know MLV have a higher HEP demand due to increased everything from lights to HVAC, and of course are heavier, so that might affect things?

I wonder if/when a 45 will make a NEC trip under diesel power. I guess they'd change modes at newark for obvious reasons.
 #1262252  by Sirsonic

The locomotive has 2 main fuel tanks with a capacity of 900 gallons each. Those tanks are divided by an internal baffle into 2 450 gallon halves. There is a transfer system that allows fuel to flow between the 2 main tanks so they are usually around the same level. It is possible to fill both tanks via one fuel fill, but to do so would require the transfer pump to transfer the fuel to the other tank so usually the main tanks are filled separately.

I imagine it could be possible to run the locomotive with one tank empty, but in normal operation the locomotive will balance the volume between both tanks.

The locomotive can operate, if need be, with only one of the diesel engines running although that is not normal operation and would usually result in the locomotive being taken out of service.
 #1262359  by philipmartin

I appreciate Sirsonic's detailed, accurate information on these new locomotives.
Each fill point has a sign: Warning do not overfill fill to 900 gallons only.
Each fill point has a sight glass marked 800 gallons and 900 gallons.
I apologize for getting the capacities wrong in my earlier post.
 #1262691  by 25Hz

Sirsonic wrote:The locomotive has 2 main fuel tanks with a capacity of 900 gallons each. Those tanks are divided by an internal baffle into 2 450 gallon halves. There is a transfer system that allows fuel to flow between the 2 main tanks so they are usually around the same level. It is possible to fill both tanks via one fuel fill, but to do so would require the transfer pump to transfer the fuel to the other tank so usually the main tanks are filled separately.

I imagine it could be possible to run the locomotive with one tank empty, but in normal operation the locomotive will balance the volume between both tanks.

The locomotive can operate, if need be, with only one of the diesel engines running although that is not normal operation and would usually result in the locomotive being taken out of service.
I am still surprised that people made such a huge harrang about having two prime movers.... Cab units, especially EMD E series, very often had two, with single operation being done in the case of a problem in early, less reliable models. :)
 #1264941  by Regardie

Now that it is a month plus of the RVL single seat ride, just a reminder that you can check out 10 mode changes daily at Newark Penn Station after the morning rush. Also for those who can only get out on weekends, it looks like the RVL will be headed into NYP this weekend due to signal work on the Conrail section of the route. Trains departing Union Station will arrive at Newark Penn too late for the connections and will continue on to NYP so there are some mode change opportunities this weekend as well.
 #1267053  by ryanov

They sure do like running these things in diesel under the wires, don't they? Every time I've seen one recently, they've been in diesel.
 #1267114  by srock1028

ryanov wrote:They sure do like running these things in diesel under the wires, don't they? Every time I've seen one recently, they've been in diesel.
And where is this?? On the M&E, they have be in electric between Dover and Newark Broad St when traveling to/from Hoboken. On the Montclair Line, they have to be in electric between MSU and Newark Broad St when traveling to/from Hoboken. On the RVL, they change modes in Newark.