Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1164890  by Sirsonic

For a given trip the ALP-45s use about 75% more fuel than a GP40. The PL42s also use more fuel than a GP40 but not as much more.
 #1164931  by 25Hz

ThirdRail7 wrote:With the proper cooperation and cost structure (*ahem* the host not jacking up the price) couldn't they refuel in SSYD?
I would have to wonder how much capacity amtrak has there vs how much would be needed if you add the 45's on bay head runs & how frequently they would need to be filled up...
 #1164946  by Jtgshu

25Hz wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:With the proper cooperation and cost structure (*ahem* the host not jacking up the price) couldn't they refuel in SSYD?
I would have to wonder how much capacity amtrak has there vs how much would be needed if you add the 45's on bay head runs & how frequently they would need to be filled up...
More than likely, its not a matter of capacity, as an existing long branch/NYP train with a Bay Head connection would probably be just combined into one train. It would be nice if an additional train would be added, but I don't see it.
 #1165052  by michaelk

Patrick Boylan wrote:thank you ThirdRail7. I wasn't trying to say all other things were equal, I was just needling michaelk's wording which asked if they used more fuel BECAUSE the tanks were smaller. I repeat, tank size does not mean they use more fuel, in fact smaller tanks will mean they use less fuel because smaller tanks and the fuel they contain will weigh less than larger tanks.
Smaller tanks will mean you have to refuel more frequently, and if there's a lot of deadheading to get from for example Bayhead to the refueling spot, that's gonna be less efficient than larger tanks.
engrish was never my strong point- lol

in college i actually had "english for engineers"- which amounted to knowing who to write ones name on the top of the paper.

(it pissed me off that my sister had "calculus for liberal arts" and got the same credits I did for real calc- then i got my free ride in english and i stopped whining- lol)

My wording was poor- but in a nut shell i thought JT said they were "thirstier" - so i took that to mean they needed to 'drink fuel' more often. So the size of the tanks could certainly be part of that.
 #1165053  by michaelk

Sirsonic wrote:For a given trip the ALP-45s use about 75% more fuel than a GP40. ...

thanks- that's were i was aiming. ;-)
thanks!
Very interesting it's such a disparity.
 #1165062  by 25Hz

Jtgshu wrote:
25Hz wrote:
More than likely, its not a matter of capacity, as an existing long branch/NYP train with a Bay Head connection would probably be just combined into one train. It would be nice if an additional train would be added, but I don't see it.
No no i mean amtrak's fueling tank capacity! Sorry, i should have been more specific! :D

I know they have the P32's, and the occasional switcher etc, thats why i was curious, if the storage they have would be enough to add the 45's on...
 #1165179  by ChrisU

Has 4518 been out running on test trains at night from Long Branch, or do they just train crews right on Y10?
 #1165188  by srock1028

NJTArrow2 wrote:Has 4518 been out running on test trains at night from Long Branch, or do they just train crews right on Y10?
Just training the crews.
 #1165195  by Tadman

For a given trip the ALP-45s use about 75% more fuel than a GP40
Is this a typo? I don't want to run afoul of the Sirsonic golden rule, but I cannot imagine that the railroad bought something that far LESS efficient. That's like going from a car that gets 24mpg to a car that gets 15mpg.
 #1165198  by Sirsonic

No, its not a typo. When running in diesel mode they use significantly more fuel. Two high speed diesels vs one low speed diesel will do that.
 #1165218  by blockline4180

beanbag wrote:Has anything been done regarding starting repairs on any of the damaged 45s?

I was told about 8 or so weren't even owned by NJT yet, so that is up to Bombardier or whoever the owner was to fix them!!

They probably have to be sent out somewhere, but I'm not positive.
 #1165256  by Jtgshu

Sirsonic wrote:No, its not a typo. When running in diesel mode they use significantly more fuel. Two high speed diesels vs one low speed diesel will do that.
Ironic isn't it?

The most fuel efficent loco is the 50 year old Geep with a seperate HEP motor. Go figure.

Progress!!!!

Now if NJT was going for efficiency, they would do an ECO rebuild on the Geeps, and replace the V16 645s with the V12 710s. But we all know NJT is not in the business of doing things the most efficient way...haha

Kind of makes you understand why the railroads have not jumped on the Caterpillar powered diesels bandwagon - but gotta give Progress/Caterpillar and now EMD credit for continuing to push it. Throw in the maintenance contracts that often time come with Caterpillar motors and it becomes even more clear....