Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#7739  by matt1168

A couple questions about the up-incoming NJT bilevels.

-I have no idea where NJT ordered them from, or what kinds of cars they are, or even if they ordered them.

-Will they be accessable to high-platforms (most likely) such as those on the LIRR.

-Also, what lines will they be used on, if any? I've heard something about the AC line.

Any other info would be helpful!

#7750  by DutchRailnut

both hi and low platform capable
run on all lines (no restriction) this why it took a while to design these cars.

#7781  by Jtgshu

Ive been told that the bilevels are going to mainly be used for Clocker service when they are transferred over to NJT. Also, Ive been told that the new Morrisville yard will be greatly expanded when they arrive adn will become a signifcant maintance facility, sort of like a mini MMC. There is evidence of future expansion at Morrisville by the catenary poles on the leads into the yard being quite wide leaving room for additional tracks.

But we all know what happens with NJT and new equipment, they will mix them with all different types of equipment and the worst possible combinations, and run them all over the system, with no consistancy.

#7797  by transit383

But we all know what happens with NJT and new equipment, they will mix them with all different types of equipment and the worst possible combinations, and run them all over the system, with no consistancy.
The MBTA does this with their bilevels. Their trains don't look half bad because the cars all have the same paint scheme. When NJT's bilevels are first delievered, there will be a total of six being used as a trial for (IIRC) six months. Afterwards, delivery of the rest will follow. One might conclude that these six will run in a designated set for the six months, but I don't believe a six car train will meet capacity needs, even if they are bilevels. I think that NJT will end up mixing these six cars with other sets, if not to meet capacity needs, then to test compatibility between fleets. Lets hope the C3s are rebuilt by then...

#7822  by DutchRailnut

Jtgshu here is quote from NJT homepage:

NJ TRANSIT is purchasing 100 New Multi-Level cars, with an option to purchase 131 additional cars,45 of which will be used to replace Amtrak's Clocker service.
were do you think those first 55 extra cars will end up or 186 cars if option is exersized.
right all over the place.
here is link:
http://www.njtransit.com/an_capitalproj ... ct052.shtm

#7826  by nick11a

I think it won't look bad if they have the Comet VIs (the bis) grouped together and have a group of Comet Vs together on consists. I just hope they don't kitbash the sets (ex: Comet III, IV, II, II V, VI, VI, V, ALP).

#7828  by transit383

Is there a designated name for the bilevels yet? Like I said on the old forums, I would like to see them as a new classification and not another Comet. My suggestion was the Galaxy Is.

#7831  by nick11a

transit383 wrote:Is there a designated name for the bilevels yet? Like I said on the old forums, I would like to see them as a new classification and not another Comet. My suggestion was the Galaxy Is.
As far as I know from here, they will be called the Comet VIs.

#7834  by Jtgshu

I used to think that C3's mixed with C4's were ugly......now its a pleasure to see. Not to mention, operate at maximum allowed speed.

I know that how a train looks doesn't matter one bit as long as its carrying passegners, and getting them to where they are going safely and quickly. However, in my opinion, there is a free aspect of PR that NJT is missing the boat on in putting similar cars together and running solid adn sharp looking trains.

A nice looking train reflects on the company. Right now, with the different trians are run with the different cars coupled together really does reflect on the mess taht this company is in. Putting a '44 with 10 cars when there are 6 car '46 powered trians running around are stupid operational decisions, but these things happen every day. ("an engine is an engine" - ive actually had this discussion with an NJT mechanical person) A solid consist not only looks better, a positive aspect in the publics eyes, but also operates better, and anyone who works for NJT (in train or engine service) will attest to that, and the passengers notice too.

Passengers (and trainmen) moan and groan and get knocked into walls when there is excessive slack action and different braking rates between the various cars coupled together. As Sirsonic so perfectly noted the other day, like riding in a Cement Mixer (or somehting to that effect). People get confused and perplexed when traveling between a C2, C4, C5 and C3, - all the end aisle doors operate differently!!!! Some people honestly can't figure out how to open the doors. And im sure the C6's will be even different.

But whatever........im sure they will be all mixed around. But 55 cars would equal 7 8 car consists, minus one (one seven car set). It would be nice if they would stay as 7 8 car consists..........(phew...why did I have so much trouble with that...hahah)
Last edited by Jtgshu on Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #7851  by Irish Chieftain

AFAIK, the designation "Comet VI" is not yet official for these cars. Anyone can confirm whether it is or not?
 #7867  by nick11a

Irish Chieftain wrote:AFAIK, the designation "Comet VI" is not yet official for these cars. Anyone can confirm whether it is or not?
Well, I've seen it used on the BLE website. Whether or not it is official, I can't say.

http://www.ble272.org/Ergo_Committee_Meeting3.htm

#7883  by Jtgshu

Ive seen it on various employee info things the compnay has put out about new projects, equipment, etc, but if its official or not, I don't konw, but I would assume it would be the C6's.......and im sure they will be referred to by some of the crews as "C6's" or simply "bilevels" anyway