Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#17677  by uzplayer

Regarding Sealand, you are only partially correct. The international division of Sealand got sold to Maersk Sealand. Anything on the Jones US Shipping Act lanes remained and is now "Horizon Lines" which is owned by the Carlyle Group.

#116452  by BlockLine_4111

Maybe just "fast cycle" 2 sets between Butler & ST. Cheap & quick way to get something started.
 #144959  by henry6

I still say relay the Sussex Line from somewhere on the Hackettstown line near Netcong to Andover Jct. to the east leg of wye to Limecrest and run trains Hoboken to Hoboken or Hoboken to Netcong or Dover via NYSW.
 #145196  by washingtonsecondary

henry6 wrote:I still say relay the Sussex Line from somewhere on the Hackettstown line near Netcong to Andover Jct. to the east leg of wye to Limecrest and run trains Hoboken to Hoboken or Hoboken to Netcong or Dover via NYSW.
You'll see the cutoff restored before that would even be considered.
 #145224  by Lackawanna484

henry6 wrote:I still say relay the Sussex Line from somewhere on the Hackettstown line near Netcong to Andover Jct. to the east leg of wye to Limecrest and run trains Hoboken to Hoboken or Hoboken to Netcong or Dover via NYSW.
Relaying part of the Sussex Branch isn't totally out of the question, but there are a lot of things (Cut-Off, MOM, THE Tunnel, Northen Line, etc) ahead of it, and little money to fund any of it...

#147684  by MickD

How about the Cross County Hawthorne-Hackensack service,have there
been any new developments with that??

#154345  by uzplayer

I can only continue to wish that this project becomes a reality. So many people use the bus stop on the corner of 515 and 23. That lot is packed everyday, as is Sparta and others.

In retrospect, at least there is the Port Jervis railline that is somewhat close. A number of people work in the immediate metro area or NYC and live in Middletown and Port Jervis. I guess if this railline didnt exist, the traffic would be just as bad on Rt 23 as the commute people endure on I-80.

Of course, there's still a case for it. Vernon is a 4 seasons area and with a LOT more people moving to that area, the Village at Mountain Creek coming, and other development, more transit alternatives will need to be installed quick.

Question: Is there actually a law in New Jersey that every town has to have a mass-transit option? I thought I heard a professor talk about this in college.

#154438  by Lackawanna484

uzplayer wrote: Question: Is there actually a law in New Jersey that every town has to have a mass-transit option? I thought I heard a professor talk about this in college.
Professors only imitate knowledge, few actually possess it. :-D Never heard of such a law, and I can think of several towns in NJ that don't have mass transit options (Passaic Twp - Morris County, Ogdensburg - Sussex County) off the top of my head

#201952  by uzplayer

I know that this might be a moot point, but is there any update to the possibility of NYSW Passenger Service restoration?

It's kinda getting bad on Route 23 for people and with all the snow that happened the last time, I bet people who couldnt get out would be very open to train service.

#209083  by uzplayer

You know. I wonder if it would be worth it to start an advocate group of people who are interested in the restoration of train service on this line. Rather then sit idle and complain, maybe it's about time someone actually does something to combat the NIMBYism that has plauged this project. Then finally the people of Sussex County would have some alternatives for transit.

#209095  by njtmnrrbuff

I believe the Gladstone Branch passes within the vicinity of Passaic Twp. As for service on the Susie-Q, that is a must. Rt 23 will only get clogged even more. For those living in lets say Franklin, they have to either drive to Dover or even into NY State to like Middletown for train service. Dover, obviously is better. Not only would commuters benefit from service on the Susquehanna, but tourists.

#209294  by uzplayer

If you look at old maps, there used to be passenger service on the NYSW. With the advent of DMU's, it wouldn't take much to put this back into motion. There are of course the hurdles of regulations (environmental and otherwise) to overcome though.

I know organizations like the NJARP and others advocate a better transport infrastructure in New Jersey. I seriously think the time for rail service is now. You pass by the bus station on the intersection of Rt 23/515, you see that the parking lot is always filled. People are taking the bus into New York.

I wonder what it would take to establish an advocacy group to get this started. I have knowledge in marketing, advertising and PR so I can get the publicity, but I need a crash course in the advocacy group part. Anyone want to devulge?

#209303  by Irish Chieftain

If you look at old maps, there used to be passenger service on the NYSW. With the advent of DMUs, it wouldn't take much to put this back into motion
The "advent" of DMUs was a long time ago...and indeed the NYSW was ahead of the other NYC-area railroads insofar as using RDCs and that unique low-floor DMU of theirs. What killed them was Erie Terminal closing and cutting back to Susquehanna Transfer; the bus-only transfer cut a lot of travel options out (PATH, ferry).

NYSW uses their RDCs in Syracuse, NY under contract (OnTrack).

#209321  by uzplayer

Irish Chieftain wrote:
If you look at old maps, there used to be passenger service on the NYSW. With the advent of DMUs, it wouldn't take much to put this back into motion
The "advent" of DMUs was a long time ago...and indeed the NYSW was ahead of the other NYC-area railroads insofar as using RDCs and that unique low-floor DMU of theirs. What killed them was Erie Terminal closing and cutting back to Susquehanna Transfer; the bus-only transfer cut a lot of travel options out (PATH, ferry).

NYSW uses their RDCs in Syracuse, NY under contract (OnTrack).
Forgive me. I didn't mean that DMU's were never accepted. I meant that there are certain orgs now that are seriously giving consideration for use in mass transit.

The equipment does exist to start it up. It's just a matter of securing money, fast-traking whatever beurocratic studies need to be done and garning organized support.
 #209349  by Douglas John Bowen

Start an advocacy group for a specific rail line? Excellent idea! NJ-ARP approves.

Advocacy is, in a word, politics. And for many, that (secretly) sounds daunting enough, because (again, secretly) lots of people talk a good game of politics when there's nothing at stake, nothing to win or lose.

But any secret to success isn't that secret. Most of us do "politics" all the time, whether it's persuading a friend to do this or adjusting to a loved one's "request" to do that. It's human interaction, though often on a larger level and not just one-on-one.

The good news is one gets better with practice -- it's a craft more than a science. The cautionary news is one will get lots of practice for something like rail line restoration. Rail advocacy is not for the faint of heart.

Nor, as NJ-ARP often counsels/reminds other groups, is it very likely to be a job quickly dispatched. It is, much more often, a marathon. Got 10, maybe 20 years of evenings and weekend to devote to your cause? Whether one starts his own organization -- again, a great idea -- and/or joins NJ-ARP for a different/complementary approach -- it takes commitment and tenacity.