Railroad Forums 

• NYSW Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#17150  by BlockLine_4111

Campbell Hall to Warwick
I figured that would be 20-30 minutes. Why so slow @ 60 mins ?

Warwick to Sparta
I figured 35 mins. or less.

Sparta to Butler
I figured 35 mins. or less.

#17154  by BlockLine_4111

So PJ - Hoboken via the L&HR/NYS&W would take 4-5 hrs. one way ?
That's 2x the time it takes via the current routing.

#17163  by MickD

I've gotta' agree.I think Newfoundland makes the most sense at this point.
Considering that Tech Society is using Butler yard,from what I understand
as I have been back for awhile & I don't reside in N.NJ these days,there's
still room for trainset with what was left from MCC days,that might make this the best case scenario.The customer base from this point east has been there for years.Question,just how involved with Hawthorne -
Hackensack restoration is NJ Transit??Is their lack of involvement
the reason H-H came to fruition?

#17172  by cjvrr

Block,

NS does not keep the track north of Warwick in the best of condition. Conrail was the same way. They only serve a few customers on that line, and no real incentive to help the NYS&W "compete". It has always been a problem. The line is jointed rail too.

Similar problem exists with the line west of Port Jervis to Binghamton. NS has very little traffic west of Port, so they maintain it to the minimum standards.

The travel time from Sparta to Butler is high due to the grade out of Sparta and all the curves in the track. I believe track speed right now is 25 mph in that section, which should go up a little with the tie replacements being done right now.

Chris

#17176  by BlockLine_4111

NS is a joke, they ought to spin the Tier (Bingo to PJ segment) off to the NYS&W. Too bad there isn't a whole lot of sizeable freight to go 'round anymore.

I'd like to see concrete ties and heavy welded rail all the way from Port Jervis down through Vernon, Sparta, and into Hawthorne.

#17187  by njt4172

CSX is much more of a joke! What is your point??

CSX= Can't Schedule eXpedited transportation

CSX= Chicken sh*t eXpress

CSX=Constipated Stricken Xpress

#17192  by DutchRailnut

can you spell "rethoric".

#17258  by BlockLine_4111

How come they do not run the SeaLand superstacks on the "Q" anymore ?
When did they disappear, where did they go ?

#17330  by njt4172

Most of that traffic was picked up by NS/CSX about a year after the Conrail takeover. A small portion of those containers are now trucked!

#17346  by cjvrr

Block,

Sealand was owned by CSX. With the breakup of Conrail, and the new crossover installed at CP-5, NYS&W was cut out of hauling this traffic. They still do the switching of the yard though. Sealand does no exist as an independent anymore, having been sold to Maersk, ergo Maersk Sealand.

The Hyunadai and other stack traffic went to NS, which also happened when the contracts ran out within a year or two of the CR split.

The last transcon traffic to go was the autorack train, which also went to CSX.

I believe these were the main reasons Mr. Rich had NS and CSX buy into the company. Their assimilation of CR doomed the NYS&W's long distance traffic.

Also, there was a post on the NY forum from Idiot Railfan that an NS inspection train (probably the GEO train) ran the Tier between Binghamton and Port Jervis and that hints were made that it is in anticipation of sending intermodal freight down that line. One can only hope.

Just as a follow up I saw the SU-99 last night. He went west through Butler at 8:50 pm. Reported clear of Sparta at 9:50pm. Two engines and 21 cars doing track speed. So that confirms the 50-60 minutes between those two points.

Chris

#17437  by BlockLine_4111

I still say the solution is Port Jervis to Hawthorne and then to Hoboken via the Main Line. Signaling, concrete ties, ribbon rail, and Acela like tilto-coaches should make the running time less than 3 hours.

#17460  by Irish Chieftain

And how much does that capital bill come to with all of that stuff...? Heck, Amtrak can't even get what it needs to finish the Acela project on the NEC out of Congress (who actually stiffed Amtrak for what, some $2½-million or so relating to Acela improvements).

#17556  by MickD

Realistically,I can see 1or 2 DMU trainsets to Secaucus to start out with.I don't think anyone doubts there's a market for more than that,but with the current climate I don't know.But just to get it going they might start with those or with any luck one more set.

#17579  by Irish Chieftain

Secaucus will never serve as a terminus, IIRC.

#17662  by MickD

Hoboken actually would be prefereable&there is room to layover 2 sets of these.If these DMU's do work out there's a lot of options for these in Jersey.I suggested Secaucus only because with a DMU7maybe a Comet
cab car it could pull in &just run back to Newfoundland for a mid morning
ealy afternoon trip back in quickly.