Railroad Forums 

• One-Seat Ride to NYC on Raritan Valley Line

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1268263  by 25Hz

kilroy wrote:How about building the flyover to start just west of the current NEC bridge, cross over the NEC and drop it into the Waverly-7 yard? You would probably have to rebuild the entire yard but there's not that much left of it and Amtrak might be able to get space someplace else, like the old storage yard behind where Hunter stood.
I read somewhere that the yard operations there may be consolidated with adams MOW facility in relation to midline loop reconfiguration. This wouldallow something to be built through the current yard area nce it was no longer used by amtrak?
 #1268334  by philipmartin

What was waverly-7? Zeke answered this question masterfully, (see his whole post about Waverly yard, http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 5#p1055875" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) a couple of years ago. He says "BTW getting back to Waverly yard, Waverly-7 or WA-7 was RR code for the Weequhaic bar on Freylinhysen ave. LOL"
 #1268371  by Thomas

Don31 wrote:The Hunter Flyover would start (railroad) west of the existing Lehigh Line bridge, in the vicinity of the Hunter Pocket Track/Hunter Connecting Track, cross the NEC and terminate on Track 0/Track 1 adjacent to the old Hunter Street Produce Yard. When the Route 21 Viaduct was replaced, the new structure was designed substantially higher, so clearance won't be an issue. I believe its currently in Preliminary Engineering.
1. When would this likely get built?

2. Any updates on Gateway?
 #1279654  by SemperFidelis

The Star Ledger is reporting that ridership has increased to the point where Transit is considering the commencement of evening service during the upcoming autumn.

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2014/ ... cart_river" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1284764  by ThirdRail7

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... ntId=11199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REMINDER: Raritan Valley Train Line: Substitute Bus Service between Union and Newark due to Signal Work - Saturday, August 2 and Sunday, August 3, 2014

July 16, 2014

On Saturday, August 2 and Sunday, August 3, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. each day, NJ TRANSIT buses will replace Raritan Valley Line (RVL) trains between Newark Penn and Union stations due to Conrail and NJ TRANSIT signal modernization work. NJ TRANSIT personnel will be available to assist customers at the affected stations.

Please allow for an additional 30-60 minutes additional travel time.

EASTBOUND

•Customers traveling FROM Raritan TO Newark will board their regular train and transfer to buses at Union Station. Buses will be located at the Plaza in front of the station.
•Customers will board trains at Newark Penn Station to continue to Secaucus and New York.

To view the eastbound schedule, click HERE.

WESTBOUND

•Customers traveling FROM New York or Secaucus will board trains as usual and transfer to buses at Newark Penn Station located at Raymond Plaza West, in front of the station, near the Greyhound bus stop.
•Train No. 5535 will be the first to operate normally from Newark, but will operate 20-30 minutes late.

To view the westbound schedule, click HERE.

For further information, please call NJ TRANSIT Customer Service at (973) 275-5555 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily.
 #1285362  by 25Hz

ryanov wrote:What I find interesting is that they're running additional New York trains (75xx) for this at :48 after from Newark Penn.
Just from NWK to NYP? Transfer?
 #1285566  by MACTRAXX

25Hz wrote:
ryanov wrote:What I find interesting is that they're running additional New York trains (75xx) for this at :48 after from Newark Penn.
Just from NWK to NYP? Transfer?
Ryanov and 25HZ: This does not surprise me in the least remembering that NWK-NYP "shuttles" were once ran during every weekday rush hour back in the 70s into the 80s...
They were specifically scheduled to connect with trains beginning or ending at NWK to relieve the peak loading on thru trains to/from NYP...

These were gradually discontinued due to the lack of spare equipment (almost always MU cars) and with tunnel slots being almost maxed out today they can not take the place
of a heavy high-ridership rush hour train...In this case the equipment and timeslot (and most importantly a NJT train crew) were available so why not?

MACTRAXX
 #1285652  by ryanov

I am surprised there were slots available. Allegedly on the weekend, this has been a problem, and lately, there has been single tracking that has been delaying the whole schedule. No 76xx's have been running lately though, so maybe the 75xx's are taking their place.
 #1285675  by srock1028

ryanov wrote:I am surprised there were slots available. Allegedly on the weekend, this has been a problem, and lately, there has been single tracking that has been delaying the whole schedule. No 76xx's have been running lately though, so maybe the 75xx's are taking their place.
No. With the single tracking going on, there is no tunnel outage. The 75XX's fit in a slot that wouldn't normally work when the tunnels are being worked on. Also, the 75XX's ONLY ran because of a bus bridge program going on the RVL. This was discussed before, the busses would get to Newark after the last NYC bound train departed, hence why a shuttle train operated for the RVL passengers as not to delay them any more.

-NO BS
 #1297057  by ThirdRail7

By the time they get funding, Amtrak will close start closing tunnels.

NJ Transit puts off planned November expansion of one-seat ride on Raritan Valley Line

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2014/ ... m-rpt-2%3E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please allow a brief "fair use quote":
A spokeswoman for NJ Transit said that the one-seat expansion was brought up during the meeting as part of the director's report.

"As the agency begins to plan its Fiscal Year 2016 budget, we found that the nearly $600,000 in additional annual cost to operate this service presents a real monetary challenge, given the current very tight fiscal constraints facing NJ Transit and the State, and the need to budget responsibly," the report reads.

According to the report, the agency plans to look for other funding sources, potentially including the same type of federal money that paid for the addition of one-seat service to the Jersey Shore earlier this year.

Originating in High Bridge, Raritan Valley trains travel through Hunterdon, Somerset, Middlesex and Union counties.

The line is not electrified, so passengers take diesel trains to Newark Penn Station. There, they board an electric-powered train, because diesel ones can't operate in the tunnel under the Hudson River.
 #1297104  by pumpers

I am moving my post here from the "Capital Projects" thread:

Well, from the linked article, they are talking like they have a $600,000 problem (per year I assume). The article also says with the off-peak service so far they have 60 more daily riders. If they expand to some peak service, they could easily pick up 100 more riders I guess, based on the 60 for off-peak. Assuming $28.50 round trip (Somerville) - 100 riders alone would be over $700,000/yr right there. Hope I did my math right.
Easy to be an armchair quarterback... JS
 #1297222  by wots hater

pumpers wrote:I am moving my post here from the "Capital Projects" thread:

Well, from the linked article, they are talking like they have a $600,000 problem (per year I assume). The article also says with the off-peak service so far they have 60 more daily riders. If they expand to some peak service, they could easily pick up 100 more riders I guess, based on the 60 for off-peak. Assuming $28.50 round trip (Somerville) - 100 riders alone would be over $700,000/yr right there. Hope I did my math right.
Easy to be an armchair quarterback... JS
Nothing like some hard statistics arrived at with such keywords as "I guess". You're also assuming that every one of your new riders is paying the highest possible fare from Raritan to NYP which is never a smart idea when running projections. Just saying...