Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1100044  by CComMack

Amtrak is resuming partial service tomorrow on the NEC only as far as Newark, indicating something has gone seriously wrong at New York Penn Station. (There is also no indication of how they're planning on turning trains at Newark, unless they're running double-ended.) There are photos circulating of Hoboken Terminal surrounded by floodwaters and water pouring down an elevator shaft into the Hoboken PATH station. Basically NJT has no working terminals, and no way of accessing New York City at the present time. The only line we know for certain is operable is Newark-Trenton, and I'm not surprised at all that NJT and Amtrak don't even want the hassle right now.
 #1100069  by SSD

It will be weeks, to months. NJ Transits rail headquarters is UNDERWATER right now, and their primary power system, backup power system, emergency back up system, AND computers have all been damaged.

Per their website:

"Rail service will remain suspended until further notice. There is currently no estimated time for resumption of service.

Rail customers are advised to seek alternate transportation because of significant storm damage.

Crews continue to inspect the rail infrastructure to get a full assessment of damage:

---->NJ TRANSIT’s Rail Operations Center—the central nervous system of the railroad—is engulfed in water, which has damaged backup power supply systems, the emergency generator, and the computer system that controls the movement of trains and power supply<-----

There are numerous downed trees across the rail system, which have caused damage to overhead wires and signal wires.

There are rail washouts across the system, including on the North Jersey Coast Line and Atlantic City Rail Line
(which means adios those services for awhile)

Several rail stations are flooded, including Hoboken Terminal.

Morgan Drawbridge on the North Jersey Coast Line in South Amboy sustained damage from boats and a trailer that collided into the bridge.

Light Rail Service:

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, Newark Light Rail and River Line service will remain suspended until further notice. There is currently no estimated time for resumption of service.
Crews continue to inspect the light rail infrastructure to get a full assessment of damage.
Newark Light Rail sustained flooding in Newark Penn Station, as well as major debris damage between Newark Penn and Branch Brook Park stations.
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail experienced track washouts at Port Imperial and West Side Avenue stations, as well as trees in the overhead wire in Weehawken and flooding in Hoboken.
River Line sustained no significant damage to equipment or infrastructure; however, due to a loss of commercial power between Camden and Trenton, there is no power to operate the signals and switches.

I think I saw someone in the MARC forum calling the decision makers "a bunch of pussies", regarding their decision to not operate trains on Wednesday. While I haven't seen the same sentiments expressed on this forum...I would like to point out that, as this is the worst storm in modern history to impact the east coast, it is not going to be reasonable to assume a few days to get back online. This process will take a LONG time, much in the same way recoveries take when hurricanes hit the Southeastern US. Sometimes, it can take over a year. While I think things won't take that long, it could be months before full resumption of service.
 #1100075  by M&Eman

Given the fact that NYP and Hoboken are both not functioning right now, that leaves the Hoboken Division lines without a proper terminal. How feasible would turning trains at Broad St Newark and Secaucus Lower Level be? The lack of connections at Secaucus would be a problem too but a bus shuttle through the Lincoln tunnel to PABT could be established.
 #1100107  by 25Hz

M&Eman wrote:Given the fact that NYP and Hoboken are both not functioning right now, that leaves the Hoboken Division lines without a proper terminal. How feasible would turning trains at Broad St Newark and Secaucus Lower Level be? The lack of connections at Secaucus would be a problem too but a bus shuttle through the Lincoln tunnel to PABT could be established.
You could turn trains at broad st station. Establish NCS connector with nwk, though I think the river may have done damage along the one part of the connector. They'd have to run all trains along the western portion of the loop.

I think using SEC is a no-go. We have no idea how the tracks fared through the wetlands there. I say stop diesel service to the west & connect to Newark via busses.
 #1100111  by ryanov

morris&essex4ever wrote:Does anyone remember the March 2001 Snowstorm(of the century) that never happened? http://philadelphiaweather.blogspot.com ... -bust.html There's still time for this storm to lose steam or head out to sea. We can hope right? :)
I remember it well. I was in college at Rutgers and all of us enjoyed our day off in the "worst inch of slush." Unfortunately, though, once-bitten, twice shy. All of the schools have seemed much more reluctant to close since.
 #1100112  by ryanov

CComMack wrote:Amtrak is resuming partial service tomorrow on the NEC only as far as Newark, indicating something has gone seriously wrong at New York Penn Station.
The tunnels are full of water is the news I saw. I believe I read that on Amtrak's site, but I can't recall for sure.
 #1100149  by 25Hz

It'll be days till through service is restored.
 #1100162  by Otto Vondrak

There has been an amazing lack of detail on th enjt web site regarding damage, inspection, or recovery efforts.

That said, thanks go out to all workers who are out there in harms way restoring essential services. Also thinking of everyone who was affected by this storm.

Let's continue to stick to the facts as we report on outages and restoration of service.

-otto-
 #1100189  by baldwr

The Amtrak Northeast Regionals that are running to/from Newark are using Acela Express trainsets. I boarded Regional 185 this morning at Metropark at 8:45 am and was suprised to see an Acela Express trainset. Clever way around a problem and well throught out:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 6&t=110251
 #1100208  by Otto Vondrak

From NJT Facebook page, 10/30/2012 9:18pm

NJ TRANSIT continues to inspect facilities, infrastructure and equipment across all regions of the state in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. Due to significant damage across the State’s public transportation network, NJ TRANSIT rail, light rail and Access Link service will remain suspended until further notice. On Wednesday, October 31, NJ TRANSIT bus service will operate in Camden only, on a weekday schedule.

Rail Service:

Rail service will remain suspended until further notice. There is currently no estimated time for resumption of service.
Rail customers are advised to seek alternate transportation because of significant storm damage.
Crews continue to inspect the rail infrastructure to get a full assessment of damage:
NJ TRANSIT’s Rail Operations Center—the central nervous system of the railroad—is engulfed in water, which has damaged backup power supply systems, the emergency generator, and the computer system that controls the movement of trains and power supply
There are numerous downed trees across the rail system, which have caused damage to overhead wires and signal wires.
There are rail washouts across the system, including on the North Jersey Coast Line and Atlantic City Rail Line
Several rail stations are flooded, including Hoboken Terminal.
Morgan Drawbridge on the North Jersey Coast Line in South Amboy sustained damage from boats and a trailer that collided into the bridge.

Light Rail Service:

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail, Newark Light Rail and River Line service will remain suspended until further notice. There is currently no estimated time for resumption of service.
Crews continue to inspect the light rail infrastructure to get a full assessment of damage.
Newark Light Rail sustained flooding in Newark Penn Station, as well as major debris damage between Newark Penn and Branch Brook Park stations.
Hudson-Bergen Light Rail experienced track washouts at Port Imperial and West Side Avenue stations, as well as trees in the overhead wire in Weehawken and flooding in Hoboken.
River Line sustained no significant damage to equipment or infrastructure; however, due to a loss of commercial power between Camden and Trenton, there is no power to operate the signals and switches.
 #1100235  by lirr42

Part of the reason NJT and Amtrak aren't using NYP is because line 2 of the East River Tunnels is flooded. Check the LIRR forum for photos of West Side Yard's damages. Between the ERT flooded, and West Side Yard in bad shape, it leads me to believe Penn is in less than it's usual lovely condition.

As posted in the LIRR forum:
lirr42 wrote:The MTA uploaded 2 videos onto its YouTube Channel Wednesday showing inside camera footage from the East River Tunnels:

You can view the video here: MTA Video Release: Hurricane Sandy - LIRR East River Tunnel (1 of 2)
You can view the video here: MTA Video Release: Hurricane Sandy - LIRR East River Tunnel (2 of 2)
lirr42 wrote:West Side Yard:
(Photos credit: MTA Flickr
lirr42 wrote:...More West Side Yard:
(Photos credit: MTA Flickr)
 #1100259  by Jersey_Mike

NJ TRANSIT’s Rail Operations Center—the central nervous system of the railroad—is engulfed in water, which has damaged backup power supply systems, the emergency generator, and the computer system that controls the movement of trains and power supply
Ha, looks like poor Club Med got flooded in the storm. Good thing NJT didn't put all its eggs in one basket and can quickly move to their backup facility...oh wait.
The only railroad that consistently equipped its interlocking plants with on-site backup power was the RF&P and they got sucked into CSX 20 years ago. Most signal locations have limited battery backups, but I have been told it only lasts for a few hours after power is lost. An interesting technology on the horizon is solid state fuel cells that run on propane or natural gas. These are far more efficient than diesel generators and furthermore they can load match which is perfect for electronics. Moreover many interlocking plants already have their own supply of propane or gas for the point heaters. Current models are in the 150 watt range, but as this increases there is no reason why they couldn't be rolled out to supplement or replace battery backup.
 #1100272  by ns3010

Otto Vondrak wrote: River Line sustained no significant damage to equipment or infrastructure; however, due to a loss of commercial power between Camden and Trenton, there is no power to operate the signals and switches.
NJT official twitter now reporting service will resume at 3pm today on roughly 30 minute headways between Trenton and WRTC only.