Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1099494  by morris&essex4ever

lirr42 wrote:WNBC says NJ Transit service will remain suspended through Tuesday due to the storm. Nothing official yet.
It's official now: http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servlet. ... HomePageTo
NJ TRANSIT Bus, Rail, Light Rail and Access Link services will remain suspended Tuesday, October 30, due to the significant impacts of Hurricane Sandy. Check back for updates. MORE INFORMATION
 #1099779  by WelshPete

Greetings from the UK. Just heard the following statement on TV...

Superstorm Sandy..

Breaking news from New Jersey Governor Chris Christie regarding damage to rail service......

"NJ Transit service remains suspended throughout the day today, later today NJT will begin assessing the status of the system and testing critical infastructure before any decision made on potential resumption of service. There is major damage on each one of NJTs railway lines. Large sections of track washed out on Jersey Coast Line. Numerous power lines and trees have fallen on lines across the state. Several rail bridges damaged by storm surge, including boats and other debris lodged on railroad tracks. NJT rail station hubs at Hoboken, Secaucus and Newark Penn station have been impacted significantly by flooding. NJTs rail operation complex at Cargnie (?) is fully surrounded by flood waters that came during the hight of the storm"

Hopefully NJT will be back on its feet again soon, I'll be watching progress with interest. To everybody affected, I also hope you have come through safe and well
 #1099800  by pumpers

WelshPete wrote:NJTs rail operation complex at Cargnie (?) is fully surrounded by flood waters that came during the hight of the storm"
I suppose "Cargnie" means Kearny? JS
 #1099807  by pumpers

MIghty quiet here considering the scale of the damage. I guess most of us don't have any power for internet etc..
JS
EDIT: some news (not good): "NJ Transit Suffered Unprecedented Devastation" from http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
NJT Commissioner Simpson said "early inspections revealed two tug boats collided with the North Jersey Coast Line's Raritan River Draw Bridge about 4:15 a.m...
Three boats and two cargo containers collided with the Coast Line's Moran Drawbridge over the Cheesequake Creek at about 4:40 a.m. Two boats are also resting atop the bridge. ...
Washouts were reported along the along the Line and at Kearny Junction."

I wonder if by washouts he just means under water, or really washouts. On the good side, driving on a bridge over the NEC at Princeton junction at 10:00 AM this morning, I saw the signals were illuminated and what looked like some kind of small train (an inspection train?) on the tracks.
 #1099841  by pumpers

more grim news: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/1 ... ss_st.html
"Transportation officials said rail cars washed on to the Turnpike near Exit 12 in Carteret." (not NJ Transit but you can imagine how bad the Coast line is).

From the same site: " Lavallette, Ortley Beach and Seaside Park were largely leveled by the storm surge.... There are houses in the middle of Route 35"
Sounds very bad for the Bay Head yard (about 5 miles from Lavallette), not to mention all the houses and businesses and residents. JS
 #1099869  by pumpers

Yet another grim site: http://www.app.com/viewart/20121030/NJN ... rontpage|s
"“At this point, there is no reasonable estimate of when we can return to service, even in a limited capacity,” said John Durso Jr, NJ Transit spokesman. ..... At one point, storm-driven waters washed over the decks of both bridges, which are 20 feet from the water’s surface under normal conditions"
ALso pictures of a boat on Morgan Drawbridge and a bad washout nearby. JS
 #1099876  by JasW

This is a complete disaster for the Coast line.
TRENTON — NJ Transit officials said they can’t estimate when full service will return, even on a limited basis, after infrastructure across the state took a pounding from Hurricane Sandy, including several boats that collided with two drawbridges on the North Jersey Coast Line.

“At this point, there is no reasonable estimate of when we can return to service, even in a limited capacity,” said John Durso Jr, NJ Transit spokesman.

Among the worst damage to the rail system: two tugboats collided with the North Jersey Coast Line’s Raritan River drawbridge at approximately 4:15 a.m. this morning.

The extent of damage to the bridge is unknown and is being investigated, Durso said.

Three boats and two cargo containers collided with the North Jersey Coast Line’s Morgan drawbridge over the Cheesequake Creek at approximately 4:40 a.m. this morning and left two boats resting atop the bridge. The extent of damage is unknown.

At one point, storm-driven waters washed over the decks of both bridges, which are 20 feet from the water’s surface under normal conditions, Durso said.

Other damage includes storm washouts along the North Jersey Coast Line, as well as at Kearny Junction, a critical link where MidTOWN Direct service joins the Northeast Corridor line to New York City.

NJ Transit bridges struck by boats, major damage from Sandy

One of two boats which were washed on to NJ
Transit's Morgan drawbridge on the North Jersey
Coast Line by Hurricane Sandy. / Photo courtesy
of NJ Transit

Flood waters driven by Hurricane Sandy washed
out NJ Transit track on the North Jersey Coast
Line, near the Morgan Drawbridge in Middlesex
County. / Photo courtesy of NJ Transit
 #1099894  by 25Hz

Well, we all knew this could be a really devastating storm, and that it was.

To all NJT folks reading this be safe out there, I know you'll do your best to fix the problems at hand quickly and confidently.
 #1099968  by Matt Johnson

Olton Hall wrote:Wow, thanks for posting those app photos and article. That will take some time to repair.
Based on the rate of progress in rebuilding the Lackawanna Cutoff, restoring these rail lines could take 50 years or more!
 #1099972  by airman00

I'm using someone else's computer since my power is out. It is bad out there lots of power outages and lots of trees down. Heard about NJT's damages, it looks about as bad as they expected, if not worse. The govenor said all of NJT's line sustained major damage. Anyone know what kind of damage the PVL got?
 #1099980  by morris&essex4ever

Matt Johnson wrote:
Olton Hall wrote:Wow, thanks for posting those app photos and article. That will take some time to repair.
Based on the rate of progress in rebuilding the Lackawanna Cutoff, restoring these rail lines could take 50 years or more!
So they can become dedicated 220 mph HSR lines? :P