• Wires down May 22nd and cancellations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by NY&LB

As I understand it, wires were down somewhere between Secaucus and Newark. NJT rerouted Midtown Direct trains to Hoboken but suspended Coast line trains all the way to Long Branch, NEC trains all the way to MetroPark and RVL trains. So my questions are:
1. Why suspend Raritan Valley line trains, they only go to Newark, passengers could have taken PATH to Newark and in fact, there is always quite a mass of passengers coming down the ramp from PATH at Newark to catch NJT trains on all lines.
2. Same as above, why is it not possible to turn Coast Line trains at Newark and get people home? OR...run some trains to Hoboken (I know, someone will say no capacity to do so)?
3. For NEC passengers exactly what did they do west of MetroPark? Turn trains at MetroPark? Why not run to Newark and turn trains there?

They left a LOT of folks stranded for many hours with no reasonable options to get home.

Without knowing all the details, like where was the power shut off and what would AMTRAK allow, there may have been good reasons NOT to do what I suggested above.
  by CNJGeep

No catenary power east of Midway, although they eventually got that fixed east of Union and finally the rest of the way. The wire was down and fell over the RVL at Hunter, so that's the end of RVL Service.

No signal power east of Midway, until they got #3 Tk going at about 8PM.
  by NY&LB

THAT makes perfect sense! Wires down between Secaucus and Newark did not.
THANKS!
  by CNJGeep

NY&LB wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:01 pm THAT makes perfect sense! Wires down between Secaucus and Newark did not.
THANKS!
Wire also fell at Swift, so that part is correct.
  by west point

Remember dispatchers need to keep a line open for wire trains to get to the problems.
  by twropr

A newscast mentioned an NJ Transit train that had been at Metropark for hours. Possibly 3736 from Jersey Ave.
Anyone know more about this?
Andy