Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Proposes Adding New Service to Scranton

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1557687  by Ken W2KB

Rockingham Racer wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:47 am The article talks about Amtrak's "improved finances". Obviously written before the pandemic set in. And what route would they take leaving New York ? I can't think of any
on the east side of the Hudson.
It would utilize the existing New Jersey Transit route used by Midtown Direct trains from NY Penn west to Newark, and then either the electrified or diesel route to the Cutoff. See: https://d2g63oyneaimm8.cloudfront.net/s ... em_Map.pdf
 #1557688  by Ken W2KB

Matt Johnson wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:54 am Amtrak proposes adding passenger train route to Scranton
This proposal is consistent with those who suggest that Amtrak's mid to long term plan is to eliminate long distance trains and concentrate on existing and new corridor service.
 #1557691  by photobug56

That may be, but it makes sense multiple ways. From my view, I think back several years ago when one of my kids was going to school in Alfred NY - we live on Long Island. When she would come home for a holiday, it was a very long set of bus rides. And a lot of Long Island and NYC area students go to school in that area. Plus I'm from Scranton, still go there once in a while, and a lot of kids from this area go to school in Scranton and in Binghamton, then there are the Pocono resorts, skiing, etc. And that ignores the daily commuters in that corridor.
 #1557746  by ExCon90

What's needed is a fast route from Dover to NYP, and there isn't one. The Morris & Essex is congested (but will it be when we reach whatever the "new normal" turns out to be -- who knows?), and while the middle track will help, threading the needle for a Dover-Kearny Jct. nonstop among all the MUs will require a degree of operational precision -- every day -- that we've never quite mastered. The Boonton Line has a lot of single track, and there will be no speed records set through the Montclairs. The Merchants Express apparently did OK in its day, but there was no I-80 then.
 #1558149  by mtuandrew

I’ve seen a few comments about how slow the NJT Montclair-Boonton Line is, and how it would impact express Cutoff service. It isn’t slow enough to warrant a Newark bypass via the Erie Boonton Line, is it? Genuinely not interested in igniting a railfan dispute here, since I have a feeling this is a sore subject :P
 #1558180  by ExCon90

I think the point here is that the Boonton Line wouldn't be any faster because it has its own share of curves, and some single-tracking besides. Because of the rerouting through Montclair (from ex-Erie Greenwood Lake to ex-DL&W Montclair Branch), joining the Morris & Essex just west of Newark, you wouldn't skip Newark. (I think there's also a NIMBY-pacifier agreement limiting the number of trains allowed through Montclair but don't know whether that's still in effect.) The real problem with the M&E is that an eastbound Amtrak would have to be scheduled out of Dover immediately ahead of a local to avoid catching up with the preceding local. If Amtrak is more than a few minutes late into Dover it's going to leave behind the local instead of ahead of it, making it easily 15 to 20 minuets late into NYP, and commuters can't live with that happening once a week or so. Somebody with a 9 o'clock meeting won't chance the train and will just drive in a little earlier than usual.
 #1558407  by amtrakowitz

ExCon90 wrote:The real problem with the M&E is that an eastbound Amtrak would have to be scheduled out of Dover immediately ahead of a local to avoid catching up with the preceding local. If Amtrak is more than a few minutes late into Dover it's going to leave behind the local instead of ahead of it, making it easily 15 to 20 minuets late into NYP, and commuters can’t live with that happening once a week or so.
…Amtrak? There was never any project on the boards having Amtrak operate service into northeastern PA, just to reiterate. It was all supposed to be NJT under contract to whatever regional operating authority were to oversee such service. Also, none of these trains were to run into NY Penn, but Hoboken.
 #1558409  by photobug56

In modern times, Hoboken never ever made sense. And there could be both NJT and Amtrak depending on the service. Amtrak could go much farther North, and into the Southern Tier and west. And if both were part of the rebuild maybe double tracking, etc.
 #1558412  by mtuandrew

amtrakowitz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:41 pm…Amtrak? There was never any project on the boards having Amtrak operate service into northeastern PA, just to reiterate. It was all supposed to be NJT under contract to whatever regional operating authority were to oversee such service. Also, none of these trains were to run into NY Penn, but Hoboken.
Amtrak recently threw itself into the mix:
Matt Johnson wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:54 am Amtrak proposes adding passenger train route to Scranton