Railroad Forums 

• NJT F40PH Question

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1504217  by LIengineerBob

At what point did the JT F40PH’s get dynamic (blended??) brake added to them. I know they were delivered without them, and were added later on at some point. Was it when they were rebuilt as CAT units, or sometime in between delivery and rebuilding into CAT’s??
 #1509539  by blockline4180

BTW, was told 4119 and 4120, the last 2 F40s on NJT roster will be getting PTC as well.. However, I don't know if they will ever enter revenue service again.. My guess is no, but one never knows at NJT.
 #1510355  by Zeke

I went over to NJT in 94 and they were all screamers. IIRC they had the blended brake added by Juniata when they were rebuilt and the AC/Delco HEP alternators were replaced by 680 HP CATs. NJT was having a hell of a time with wheel problems mostly corrugation and thermal cracking on coaches and Diesel power and mainly due to very tight schedules and high speeds on the Newark division running on Amtrak and the AC line with 100 mph service on the NEC and one stretch of 90 on the AC line. The AC service was mostly 2 or 3 car consists with limited braking characteristics for the speed required to maintain schedules. The NJT CMO Jim Brown who was a NYC vet solved most of the problems when he speced out new diesels and rebuilds with dynamic brakes. IIRC they were fitted with EMD's XR-2 extended range feature that didn't cut out until a full stop occurred.
 #1551588  by liftedjeep

F40s #4119 & 4120 led Main/Bergen County Line train #1171 yesterday to Suffern, NY. I'm hearing there could possibly be another locomotive shortage, but can confirm if that was the reason the two F40PH-2CATs were back in service.

Ben
 #1551666  by ALP45DP 4515

liftedjeep wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:06 am F40s #4119 & 4120 led Main/Bergen County Line train #1171 yesterday to Suffern, NY. I'm hearing there could possibly be another locomotive shortage, but can confirm if that was the reason the two F40PH-2CATs were back in service.

Ben
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=623CVCZ6Y9M&t=48s

I found this video of them together with 4212 flying by to steal the spotlight.
Credit to FL92002 for the video.
 #1553564  by Graeme Salt

Can anyone advise please whether 4119 and 4120 are being used regularly in revenue service now, or was the event at the beginning of September a one-off?
 #1553636  by CNJGeep

Graeme Salt wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:20 am Can anyone advise please whether 4119 and 4120 are being used regularly in revenue service now, or was the event at the beginning of September a one-off?
Neither one has run in revenue service since, they've both been under repair but have run in non revenue service. Work continues to allow them to return to revenue service.
 #1553726  by Graeme Salt

CNJGeep wrote:Neither one has run in revenue service since, they've both been under repair but have run in non revenue service. Work continues to allow them to return to revenue service.
Thanks for the update. Obviously welcome news for railfans, but it does seem a little odd to be spending money on these given the imminent arrival of the next batch of dual-modes.
 #1553734  by Pensyfan19

I heard that these two F40s will be in service temporarily while NJTś GP40s are sent away for rebuilding. Thanks Fan Railer! :wink:
 #1553967  by Graeme Salt

Pensyfan19 wrote:I heard that these two F40s will be in service temporarily while NJTś GP40s are sent away for rebuilding. Thanks Fan Railer! :wink:
Do you have any more information please? I understood NJT's latest fleet strategy wrote off all bar seven GP40s from revenue service, with retirement of the remainder facilitated by the expansion of the ALP45-DP fleet by 25 units. Delivery of the initial batch of 17 was supposed to commence this summer; I assume there's been some delay but even so, in the absence of a radical strategy reversal, surely the limited geep rebuild programme could have been phased with the DP expansion to avoid the need for reactivation of the F40s?
 #1554458  by Backshophoss

Believe the GP40P's are destined to become work train and tow in power for breakdowns
 #1554761  by liftedjeep

F40s 4120 & 4119 came down to South Jersey on Wednesday on a ballast train to help out with MoW work along the Atlantic City Line. They were spotted parked along the passing siding at the Cherry Hill station.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5420013

The pair returned to the MMC late Thursday with the empty stone train.

Ben
 #1555023  by ALP45DP 4515

I spotted 4119 & 4120 on the M&E doing track work. They were off to the side of I-280E about 1.5 miles east of Newark Broad Street Station.
 #1555135  by Backshophoss

Figure the crews are less than thrilled of using the F-40's as work train power,but that's what was left on the ready track at MMC :poop: