Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1547721  by lensovet

I appreciate the explanation too, but that's a pretty sorry excuse. TBH I'm surprised it's even legal, given that NJ is CARB state.
 #1547723  by ApproachMedium

Has nothing to do with legality, it has to do with an operational situation. If you cannot change modes in the terminal platform area, you cant have a train come down on electric that turns to head up the main bergen or pascack line. you would then have to pull the train out of the depot, stop it, mode change and hope it works right before you head up the diesel lines.
 #1547725  by ApproachMedium

Thats a time consuming thing. Theres no wayside on the station platforms and trains running layovers of just a few hours or less it does not make sense to do. Plus there is often not any personell around to connect it. It isnt just like a electric car where you can plug it in and go. You need to reconfigure the locotmotive, shut it down, blue flag the track and connect the ground power. Reverse for when its undone.
 #1547726  by lensovet

In particular, locos built in 2015+ are supposed to come with start/stop systems that do not allow idling for over 30 minutes. But you're right, apparently CARB is toothless in this regard, even in its own back yard. Too bad.
 #1548013  by Pensyfan19

Eight new ALP-45s to replace some PL42ACs!

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... e-purchase
NJ Transit’s board of directors has approved the purchase of eight Bombardier ALP-45A dual-mode locomotives, adding to a purchase of 17 of the locomotives that was approved in 2017. The new order will cost approximately $70.5 million, with delivery expected to begin in the first quarter of 2022. In diesel mode, the ALP-45A will meet EPA Tier 4 environmental standards. They will allow retirement of some of NJ Transit’s Alstom PL42AC locomotives, which have EMD 710 prime movers that cannot be upgraded to meet the current environmental standards.
 #1548018  by Dcell

Only 20 years of service and the PL-42s get scrapped while the GP-40s get rebuilt again for service on the AC Line.
 #1548038  by Backshophoss

Wonder if NJT considered repowering them with Cummings prime movers??
 #1548069  by ApproachMedium

Theres a few PL42s that are wrecked now anyhow. And now that the AEM7 ac is not being used, the PL is the only US loco i believe using that propulsion package from alstom in IGBT. The same controls are used on the HST and HHP.
 #1563775  by Fan Railer

NJT has a habit of customizing everything they buy to the point where it makes no sense for any other agency to use the same equipment. When the PLs arrived on property, they were plagued with software problems and teething issues.

Fast forward to today, and NJT is getting rid of most of them with the new ALP-45A order. They have not seen a major rebuild, and likely won't. I've heard from crews that they ride like garbage at speed lol.
 #1596437  by R36 Combine Coach

DutchRailnut wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:24 pm its EMD in a Alstom body .
With assembly in Hornell. Much like the Super Steel DE30/DM30 - EMD in a custom, one time designed car shell assembled by another builder.
Fan Railer wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:50 pm NJT has a habit of customizing everything they buy to the point where it makes no sense for any other agency to use the same equipment.
Other than the GP40s and F40s, though. The Multilevels are now a standard design, with EXO/AMT and SEPTA (built by CRRC) with the same design. Comets were a standard built for multiple agencies between 1970 and 2001.
 #1596439  by Bracdude181

@R36 It’s funny you should mention the DM30AC. NJT was once considering getting an engine that was very similar to those except with an overhead pantograph instead of low-mounted electrical pickups. (Whatever they are called)

While I do personally like the PL42s, I personally think NJT would’ve been better off rebuilding their existing diesel fleet they had at the time. Maybe put new motors and cabs on them too, like the SD40E3s that CSX has.
 #1613444  by R36 Combine Coach

The main purpose of the PL42s were to replace the GP40FHs (a non-standard design) and allow for a fleet of diesels that could haul the heavier, more demanding Multilevel cars.

But if MARC is now overhauling their GP39s to GP39H-3, there's no reason not for a GP40H-3 rebuild at NJT, especially many will be around (as work service and passengers as well).