Railroad Forums 

• Any NJ Transit rail fans here? I have questions.

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1543216  by matawanaberdeen

I've been trying to contact an NJ Transit Locomotive Engineer because I have some NJT rail fan type questions but have had no luck. I suppose there could be a few rail fans here that can answer some questions.
What does a typical shift look like or work? Like if you are called in to work the North Jersey Coast Line and pick up a train in say Long Branch going to NYC. How many trips do you make in a typical shift? Is it from Long Branch to NYC and then back? I suppose I'm getting all that wrong and that is not nearly how it works though. When I was a kid, 12 years old maybe my neighbor across the street was a NYT Engineer and he took us on a "Cab ride" to NYC from Matawan. He picked up the train right in Matawan. If I remember correctly it was those old MU trains I think they are called? More like subway trains that don't have a traditional Locomotive. I have other questions too.
 #1543233  by CentralValleyRail

There are ways that you can find out what a train consist and engineers daily schedule are online. From duty time on to the exact consist that is going to be run.

They are posted but it's on you to find it, I don't need any cranky NJT employees angry at exposing their non secured website.
 #1546642  by Sirsonic

Yes, the schedules are out there. That being said, it's not something that we really want to be publicly available for a number of reasons I'm not going to discuss.

Regarding the specific questions in this thread:
Where I start from can play a large role in how many trips I make in a day, but generally it's 4-6 trains a day. Starting in Long Branch its possible to run to New York and then do a trip to Trenton and back and then return to Long Branch, or two trips between Long Branch and New York.