Railroad Forums 

• NJT Heritage 40th Anniversary Program

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1522522  by andrewjw

Ken, unless you can point me to legal code or precedent I'm going to have to call you out on pulling your legal advice out of a hat. There's no way painting a logo on a train would make Conrail at fault, and sure, you could sue, but good luck with NS counter-suing for your frivolity.
 #1522569  by Ken W2KB

andrewjw wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm Ken, unless you can point me to legal code or precedent I'm going to have to call you out on pulling your legal advice out of a hat. There's no way painting a logo on a train would make Conrail at fault, and sure, you could sue, but good luck with NS counter-suing for your frivolity.
Happened to my employer years ago. Independent contractors who were approved under the state-sanctioned seal up and save energy conservation program funneled through public utilities, started putting the utility company name and logo on their vehicles in addition to their own business name. My employer was named in lawsuits arising out of motor vehicle accidents despite these contractors not performing work on behalf of the company, but rather for property owners taking advantage of the state program. Among the arguments used by plaintiff's counsel was that the company derived advertising / public relations benefits from its name and logo appearing on the third-party vehicles, and the fact that my employer took no action to deter the placement of its logo and name on the vehicles amounted to consent, and hence use of the vehicles was a common enterprise resulting in both the company and the independent contractors being liable. The complaints were settled out of court and the company sent cease and desist letters to all contractors under threat of legal action if they failed to comply to remove the logos and company name withing a reasonable time. Unusual and odd, I agree, but that's why I remember it.
 #1522581  by ExCon90

Even if a suit is frivolous it still costs money and time to get it thrown out. Conrail was once sued by a motorist who claimed to have been cut off by an Erie Lackawanna piggyback trailer on a Texas highway. If the plaintiff had known which railroad the trailer was on interchange to he would probably have sued them as well.
 #1522591  by WashingtonPark

Could be other reasons, too. At a NAPHA convention at Lakeside Park we asked the owner why they didn't sell Tees and hats with their logo on it. She said she didn't want these all over the Denver area then if there's some crime or violence committed by the person wearing them their name is all over the news media in connection with it, even though Lakeside had nothing to do with it. She saw wearing something with their logo on it as a privilege. Just another viewpoint on this.
 #1522771  by TDowling

I always joke they must be rebranding the trains with their old monikers since the service is so bad! :P
 #1522795  by mcgrath618

TDowling wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 pm I always joke they must be rebranding the trains with their old monikers since the service is so bad! :P
You're mistaken -- none of these wraps are Penn Central.
 #1523230  by blockline4180

Many probably don't care, but the PRR unit was released to passenger service today... Might see revenue service by tomorrow or by the weekend.
 #1523265  by Matt Johnson

blockline4180 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:51 am Many probably don't care, but the PRR unit was released to passenger service today... Might see revenue service by tomorrow or by the weekend.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be on the lookout for it!
 #1523498  by CNJGeep

liftedjeep wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:20 pm Any info on #4109, CNJ unit?

What lines would she be assigned to?

Ben
Wherever you see the CNJs now: Working out of Hoboken on the E-L.
I don't doubt it'll make appearances on the CNJ, though.
Might be disappointed if you're looking for it on the Stepchild of the Railroad down south, though.
 #1523499  by liftedjeep

CNJGeep wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:40 am
liftedjeep wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:20 pm Any info on #4109, CNJ unit?

What lines would she be assigned to?

Ben
Wherever you see the CNJs now: Working out of Hoboken on the E-L.
I don't doubt it'll make appearances on the CNJ, though.
Might be disappointed if you're looking for it on the Stepchild of the Railroad down south, though.

I'm well aware that the chances of #4109 showing up on the Atlantic City Line are slim to none. I have no issue making the trek up north to see her in action if I could secure a solid lead before doing so. However, I've read in a separate thread that she still needs HEP installed and/or repaired, as well as some other mechanical issues taken care of. Unless all of this has already taken place, I don't expect #4109 to be out on any line any time soon.
Ben