Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1050703  by granton junction

Today several A trains running to Lefferts Blvd had R32's as the consist. A T/O seemed to indicate that this may be a pattern for the summer. You can get above ground photos on the elevated stations between 80 St and Lefferts Blvd.
 #1050777  by Fan Railer

granton junction wrote:Today several A trains running to Lefferts Blvd had R32's as the consist. A T/O seemed to indicate that this may be a pattern for the summer. You can get above ground photos on the elevated stations between 80 St and Lefferts Blvd.
Haha yep, we know. It's been like this for the past two summers. Took a nice long railfan video of one of the sets from 42nd street to Euclid Ave. I shall post here later.
 #1053186  by SlowFreight

Don't tell me I'll have to read the destination signs to tell an A from a C now!
 #1053467  by Fan Railer

SlowFreight wrote:Don't tell me I'll have to read the destination signs to tell an A from a C now!
No. All C trains are operating with R46s, which means they are also full length.
 #1053793  by Head-end View

Great news. Maybe I can catch a good A-train ride. What is the reason they swap the R46's and R-32's for the Summer?
 #1057626  by BobLI

Am I imagining things? I think the R32 cars are faster than the R46 cars especially on the express and Broad Channel run.
 #1057628  by Fan Railer

BobLI wrote:Am I imagining things? I think the R32 cars are faster than the R46 cars especially on the express and Broad Channel run.
Well, lets see, they're lighter, and they have more horsepower per train set. So that wouldn't be too surprising. ;)
 #1057715  by Head-end View

Terrapin, both fleets ARE air-conditioned. Are you saying the A/C is more dependable on one fleet or the other?
 #1057809  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:Terrapin, both fleets ARE air-conditioned. Are you saying the A/C is more dependable on one fleet or the other?
It's been well established that the HVAC units on the R32s are prone to failure during the summer months on the C due to the fact that the entire line is underground. By switching the R46s with the R32s and placing the latter fleet on the A for the time being, strain on the HVAC units of the older cars is reduced because the A spends a decent amount of time above ground as opposed to the C. Apparently, the R46 HVACs can handle the hot, dank, and stuffy tunnel weather in the summer better than the R32s.
 #1058597  by railfan365

I've been on the 8th Avenue several times recently to see R-32's and R-46's running on both the A and the C.
 #1070590  by Head-end View

I also saw an R-42 running on the A-line today. Too bad it was going the other way at 34th St.
 #1070743  by railfan365

Head-end View wrote:I also saw an R-42 running on the A-line today. Too bad it was going the other way at 34th St.
That's a suprise. I thought that all of the surviving R-42's were based in East NY in J/Z service, and that R-46's were being transferred from Jamaica to Pitkin for filling in on A service.