Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#83590  by AmeriKenArtist

I hope that, in the future, I'll be able to photograph on the elevated stations. I'd like to get some spectacular views of the Manhattan skyline as background to the trains. Many years ago I used to stay in Flushing. I vaguely recall a great view from the 7 train. I would appreciate any info. on other lines coming into the island for a great view. Thanks, Ken

#83594  by Fred G

The views on the 7 that I really like are 33rd/Rawson and also 40th/Lowery

Smith/9th on the F and G offers a spectacular view of downtown Manhattan, as well as being the highest station in the system.

On the M, Forest Avenue and Seneca Avenue offer nice midtown views

You can pick any elevated line and find some nice views to photograph, but the ones I listed are the ones I can remember to have the Manhattan views. Enjoy!

#83601  by chuchubob

Fred G wrote:The views on the 7 that I really like are 33rd/Rawson and also 40th/Lowery

Smith/9th on the F and G offers a spectacular view of downtown Manhattan, as well as being the highest station in the system.
Enjoy!
40th Street:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/318 ... sBJGZiaDNc

Smith/9th:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/318 ... IxGkQQwRxl

Sadly, something's missing from the Smith/9th photo.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/318 ... 2561vNQtTD

#83922  by GP38

Fred G wrote:
On the M, Forest Avenue and Seneca Avenue offer nice midtown views
Forest's view has changed a bit like everyone else, unfortunately after 9/11. Here's the view from a hazy day:

...but is still a great view of Lower Manhattan. On clear days you can see all of lower Manhattan, and even the towers of the Williamsburg Bridge, and the Verazanno Bridge too in the far distance.

Here's a view of downtown from 2003, also sort of hazy that day:

Forest has even better views of midtown too (and the Empire State is a sweeping view from the Seneca platfrom, right down Seneca Ave. Ridgewood has such great views because it is sort of on a hill, and also, all the buildings are three stories or under, so you can see right across to Manhattan.

Actually, Fred took a great photo of the ESB from Seneca a few months back that he posted once.

#83939  by Allan

Considering the potential approval on the ban on Photography by the MTA you may have to settle for photos that have been taken by others.

#84622  by Robert Paniagua

Don't worry, I'm sure the photo ban won't happen, I'm optimistic about this issue, I know it won't happen :-D

And it wouldn't affect me anyways either.

#84652  by RailBus63

Robert Paniagua wrote:Don't worry, I'm sure the photo ban won't happen, I'm optimistic about this issue, I know it won't happen :-D

And it wouldn't affect me anyways either.
It doesn't affect you today, but don't kid yourself - if the NYCTA is successful in banning amateur photography on their system, it will have an effect elsewhere in the future. What's to stop the MBTA from deciding to just do away with the photo permit policy and post notices in the stations and cars outlawing photography, with the threat of fines and/or arrest for those who are caught doing so? The proposed NYC photo ban will set a terrible precedent and must be stopped.

Not to be overly dramatic or anything, but this is the time for anyone who cares about railroad and transit photography to stand up and be counted.

A reminder to everyone reading this - if you haven't submitted a comment, you can do so online at http://mta.info/nyct/rules/proposed.htm . The comment period ends Monday, so please don't delay.

Even if you have no intention of ever taking a picture on the NYC subway, I'll hope you take a few moments to stand up for our rights as photographers.

Jim D.

#84986  by Robert Paniagua

It doesn't affect you today, but don't kid yourself - if the NYCTA is successful in banning amateur photography on their system, it will have an effect elsewhere in the future. What's to stop the MBTA from deciding to just do away with the photo permit policy and post notices in the stations and cars outlawing photography, with the threat of fines and/or arrest for those who are caught doing so? The proposed NYC photo ban will set a terrible precedent and must be stopped.

Actually it still won't affect me in the future either EVEN if the photo ban is in effect. No sweat, since I have a special camcorder which I can disguise as a surveyor device and not even NYPD will know that I'm videotaping.

As for the public comment, I'll still sign off on that and put my 2 cents in as well, but no worries, the man from Holbrook, MA (originally born in San Juan PR) will survive any photo ban........................except WMATA Washington, DC Metrorail, I got pulled over there already for taking a still photo there just over 3 years back.
 #84992  by Robert Paniagua

All right RB63JD and everyone else,

this is what I sent them:

Subject: Planned photography ban

Hello,

This is Robert Stevens from the South of Boston Area and I'm extrememly concerned about you folks banning videotaping in my beloved NYCTA EL System. I really LOVE the Elevated routes you guys run and I like videotaping them just as I have for the past 20 months. I had a similar EL route in Boston (MBTA Orange Line over Washington Street, 4/30/87) which was closed and I've been since going to your transit system and filming the EL routes in your TA system.

So I consider that you guys scrap the ban on videotaping (and still photographing) of trains and the like and accept our railbuffing activities which we have enjoyed for so many years. Thanks for understanding on behalf of all railfans!

With Regards,
Robert (Paniagua) Stevens*
South Shore Suburbs of Boston

*last name needed to be disguised to them for obvious privacy reasons

#85055  by Mr Met

Why can't the MTA be like VRE and encourage taking pictures of there trains

#85751  by Fred Stacey

Sure, they should encourage people to take photographs of TA subways, not ban them.

As for Mr. Paniagua in his last post, may I suggest that you continue videographing EVEN after the ban, when you get approached by TAPD, you can just tell them, "I'm with FOX25 news" and they'll likely send you on your way.

#87991  by Robert Paniagua

As for Mr. Paniagua in his last post, may I suggest that you continue videographing EVEN after the ban, when you get approached by TAPD, you can just tell them, "I'm with FOX25 news" and they'll likely send you on your way.

I'd like to Fred, but that would be even more serious. Passing myself off as a "FOX25" or CBS4 news reporter would be subject to being charged with criminal impersonation. All I tell them is explain that I'm a railfan and they'll just verify your information and then the MTAPD will send you on your way with a verbal warning.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no thanks :-)