Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1027659  by CLamb

Last night at the Grove Street station I noticed the 3rd rail on the westbound track had what looked like an aluminum bar bolted to the inside. The eastbound track didn't have one. What is this for? Is it to increase the electrical conductivity of the 3rd rail?
 #1028318  by Terry Kennedy

CLamb wrote:Is it to increase the electrical conductivity of the 3rd rail?
Yes. I'd post a picture of one but the board software keeps reducing the allowable size for images, even when not hosted on the board. Grrr... Click the link instead.

#1028780  by Fan Railer

From the looks of it, it seems that the bar is just there to bolt two separate pieces of the third rail together. This is purely a mechanical feature and, according to physics, should not effect conductivity at all.
 #1028783  by Terry Kennedy

Fan Railer wrote:From the looks of it, it seems that the bar is just there to bolt two separate pieces of the third rail together. This is purely a mechanical feature and, according to physics, should not effect conductivity at all.
Take a closer look. There's another piece of aluminum running the length of the 3rd rail - you can see the rivets holding it to the rail in the picture I posted. The joint piece is another piece on top of the full-length pieces.
 #1028977  by Fan Railer

Terry Kennedy wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:From the looks of it, it seems that the bar is just there to bolt two separate pieces of the third rail together. This is purely a mechanical feature and, according to physics, should not effect conductivity at all.
Take a closer look. There's another piece of aluminum running the length of the 3rd rail - you can see the rivets holding it to the rail in the picture I posted. The joint piece is another piece on top of the full-length pieces.
Yes, I did see that in fact, but since the third rail shoe isn't actually touching that strip, I doubt an overall improvement on conductivity/efficiency.
 #1030907  by NegativeApproach

If the third rail shoe is touching the steel rail, and the steel rail is touching the aluminum strap which provides a corrosion-free bypass around the rusty joint, how can it not improve conductivity?
 #1031172  by michaelk

seems to me that it would help conduct- but i have to say it is beyond my expertise. (My guess would be it wouldn't help in the transfer from the steel rail to the shoe but it would get more current along the lendth of the steel rail).

just a WAG- maybe the aluminum helps conduct higher current further distances and that segment is farther than normal between substations- but they can't just use aluminum alone as it wouldn't stand up to the physical wear of the shoe scraping across the top all the time so they still use steel rail for the wear surface?

One thing it makes me wonder though- wouldn't their be some crazy reaction between the 2 different metals with all that current running between them? One of the metals (I'd assume the aluminum) would erode over time.

Also- doesn't that reaction between the different metals cause a mess that inhibits current transfer if not specifically handled (hence aluminum and cooper wiring doesn't mix well to the point it can cause fires so you have to use that paste goo on aluminum wiring)?
 #1032181  by Fan Railer

michaelk wrote:seems to me that it would help conduct- but i have to say it is beyond my expertise. (My guess would be it wouldn't help in the transfer from the steel rail to the shoe but it would get more current along the lendth of the steel rail).

just a WAG- maybe the aluminum helps conduct higher current further distances and that segment is farther than normal between substations- but they can't just use aluminum alone as it wouldn't stand up to the physical wear of the shoe scraping across the top all the time so they still use steel rail for the wear surface?

One thing it makes me wonder though- wouldn't their be some crazy reaction between the 2 different metals with all that current running between them? One of the metals (I'd assume the aluminum) would erode over time.

Also- doesn't that reaction between the different metals cause a mess that inhibits current transfer if not specifically handled (hence aluminum and cooper wiring doesn't mix well to the point it can cause fires so you have to use that paste goo on aluminum wiring)?
Current speed is regulated by the drift velocity component of the conductor that they travel in. Since current is constant throughout the circuit, that means that it follows the lowest common drift velocity as regulated by the metal with the lowest drift velocity. If anything, the larger aluminum plate at the junction provides a bridge in the gap between the two separate pieces of third rail and ensures continuous current, but once again, it does NOT increase overall conductivity; only the range and standardization of conductivity along the line.
 #1032623  by michaelk

Fan Railer wrote:
michaelk wrote:seems to me that it would help conduct- but i have to say it is beyond my expertise. (My guess would be it wouldn't help in the transfer from the steel rail to the shoe but it would get more current along the lendth of the steel rail).

Current speed is regulated by the drift velocity component of the conductor that they travel in. Since current is constant throughout the circuit, that means that it follows the lowest common drift velocity as regulated by the metal with the lowest drift velocity. If anything, the larger aluminum plate at the junction provides a bridge in the gap between the two separate pieces of third rail and ensures continuous current, but once again, it does NOT increase overall conductivity; only the range and standardization of conductivity along the line.
seems like you are clearly more well versed than I. :-)

so what is your hypothesis as to why they took the time to add the aluminum 'strapping' along the 3rd rail? Are there any reasons at all you can think of to add it?
 #1032736  by Fan Railer

michaelk wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:

seems like you are clearly more well versed than I. :-)

so what is your hypothesis as to why they took the time to add the aluminum 'strapping' along the 3rd rail? Are there any reasons at all you can think of to add it?
I'm not positive about the smaller strip, to be honest.
But wiki seems to be:
One method for reducing current losses (and thus increase the spacing of feeder/sub stations, a major cost in third rail electrification) is to use a composite conductor rail of a hybrid aluminium/steel design. The aluminium is a better conductor of electricity, and a running face of stainless steel gives better wear.....A second method is an aluminium core, upon which two stainless steel sections are fitted as a cap and linear welded along the centre line of the rail.
PA's third rail design seems to be of the second method. So I guess your hypothesis in the beginning was correct, that it does increase range between substations while maintaining wear and tear rates. But then again, that does make sense... so conductivity, range wise, does increase, but the speed component should not.
 #1034804  by 25Hz

The alu bar is there to increase conductive efficiency. It is riveted to the steel 3rd rail at regular intervals to ensure even current distribution/transfer between the 2 materials. Where there are joints the bar pictured above acts as a conductive "fish plate" for the 3rd rail. You normally don't see joints for 3 reasons: 1. the covers are blocking the view 2. numerous tapered "air gap" breaks, even under the continuos cover. 3. The ones that are there are so covered in grime that you don't notice them.

That photo looks like it was taken at wtc station.
 #1034814  by Terry Kennedy

25Hz wrote:That photo looks like it was taken at wtc station.
Yes. I was part of the press pool for the re-opening ceremony, and got some great pictures:

Image Image
Image Image
 #1034854  by 25Hz

Nice!

I love the random measurements and math i find in construction sites on signs hahah.