Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#76411  by Idiot Railfan

With Hudson County declining, at least for now, to bail out NY Waterway, there is a very real possibility that the ferry company could shut down. Judging by what has been discussed and disclosed, this does not sound like a bluff, and because it is a private company, when it runs out of money and can't make a payroll, there is no creative bookkeeping available that would keep an agency such as NJ Transit running. Plus, the Imperatores shut down one of their other companies, APA Trucking, very abrubtly.

So... Has PATH made an plans to handle the extra crush of passengers should the ferry stop operating?

#76453  by JLo

Yes. They plan on raising the PATH fare to $2.50. :wink:

#76546  by JPhurst

What else can they do? I'm pretty sure that they are operating at capacity during the rush hour. I remember before September 11th, the WTC line was jam packed during that period. It's still crowded but at least there is a little elbow room.

#76670  by Irish Chieftain

Last I heard, they were blaming NY Waterway's woes on the resumption of PATH service into the Bathtub. So, if there has been a passenger decline, those passengers are already on PATH, presumedly...
 #76735  by communipaw

When the Hudson Tubes / PATH opened they were designed to run at a maximum 2 minute headway, which they did do in the rush hours. As late as the 1920s annual ridership was almost 150% of what it is today . [ http://www.hudsoncity.net/tubesenglish/index.html -- #8 Statistics ]

PATH can physically carry many more passengers than it now does but it's likely the PA is unwilling/unable to invest in the necessary labor and rolling stock to do so.
JPhurst wrote:What else can they do? I'm pretty sure that they are operating at capacity during the rush hour. I remember before September 11th, the WTC line was jam packed during that period. It's still crowded but at least there is a little elbow room.

#76844  by Idiot Railfan

If NY Waterway is looking to blame anybody, it only needs to look in the mirror. The company was growing at a modest pace before Sept. 11. Afterward, with FEMA money coming out the wazu, it expanded way too fast. Didn't Arthur realize that the money well was going to dry up after the WTC PATH station reopened?

Also, I don't think with the reopening of that station, that all or most of the people who were going to leave the ferry for PATH have already done so. If NY Waterway stops running, each and every single person riding the ferry the day before service ended is going to need a way to get across the Hudson. It could be a day, weeks, or even longer before a cash infusion or an alternate operator brings about the restoration of service. Until then, PATH may have to handle tens of thousands of additional passengers.

Not looking forward to that!

#76907  by JLo

Call me cynical, but I always thought this outcome was in the real plans for NY Waterway. I think it just happened a little sooner than planned.