Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#982389  by terry03

GretschViking wrote:
terry03 wrote:
GretschViking wrote:I have seen photos of the now long gone roundabout in Tottenville but nothing for the other two lines. I'll assume they had something similar.
Hi "GretschVkiking" I really didn't think anyone would recognize either of these two photos. The one on the South Shore Branch was pretty nondescript. Bates & Roger showed both of these in an old company brochure dating back to the war years. The fact that you have an identical picture is quite amazing. If you look hard enough I guess you can find information on these old structures. So much of our history has simply disappeared or its sitting in a library somewhere where you can't find it. Libraries are only helpful if you live in their area and are a member. I've been researching old railroad structures now for a year and its hard to find a lot of information.

Howdy Terry!

It was quite heart wrenching to see that land sold off and houses built on it. Sometimes I wish the city would just say "We are taking it back! Here's your buy out! MOVE!" :) Let's face it, at the rate these houses are going up, the island is going to sink! That line would have come in handy these days. Dumb move on their part.

One thing I would like to clear up is the South Beach branch was not the "South Shore line". That would be Tottenville. South Beach was known as the East Shore line. Go figure!

For my North Shore Line page, I am in need of photos of the West New Brighton and Harbor Road stations. I have a very grainy 1924 pre-electrification aerial shot of the former and only one of the latter. However, I am always searching for any photos of these two lines during and after service. If you or anyone else here can help, please let me know. Thankie!

These are the only two that I have. Evidently Bates & Rogers only built these two bridges.

GV
 #1585638  by XBNSFer

terry03 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:20 am
GretschViking wrote:
terry03 wrote:
GretschViking wrote:I have seen photos of the now long gone roundabout in Tottenville but nothing for the other two lines. I'll assume they had something similar.
Hi "GretschVkiking" I really didn't think anyone would recognize either of these two photos. The one on the South Shore Branch was pretty nondescript. Bates & Roger showed both of these in an old company brochure dating back to the war years. The fact that you have an identical picture is quite amazing. If you look hard enough I guess you can find information on these old structures. So much of our history has simply disappeared or its sitting in a library somewhere where you can't find it. Libraries are only helpful if you live in their area and are a member. I've been researching old railroad structures now for a year and its hard to find a lot of information.

Howdy Terry!

It was quite heart wrenching to see that land sold off and houses built on it. Sometimes I wish the city would just say "We are taking it back! Here's your buy out! MOVE!" :) Let's face it, at the rate these houses are going up, the island is going to sink! That line would have come in handy these days. Dumb move on their part.

One thing I would like to clear up is the South Beach branch was not the "South Shore line". That would be Tottenville. South Beach was known as the East Shore line. Go figure!

For my North Shore Line page, I am in need of photos of the West New Brighton and Harbor Road stations. I have a very grainy 1924 pre-electrification aerial shot of the former and only one of the latter. However, I am always searching for any photos of these two lines during and after service. If you or anyone else here can help, please let me know. Thankie!

These are the only two that I have. Evidently Bates & Rogers only built these two bridges.

GV
Harbor Road Station pics on my gallery here: https://richardbischoff.smugmug.com/Tra ... Shore-Line

As for West New Brighton, good luck - that was a wood station which was demolished fairly quickly once commuter service ended in March 1953.
 #1594438  by Pensyfan19

nyrmetros wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:18 pm So any chance of a SIRT expansion any time soon?
Translation: any progress with restoring the North Shore Branch, as well as possible Light Rail Service on the West Side of Staten Island?
 #1594701  by Allan

Pensyfan19 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:10 pm
nyrmetros wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:18 pm So any chance of a SIRT expansion any time soon?
Translation: any progress with restoring the North Shore Branch, as well as possible Light Rail Service on the West Side of Staten Island?
There has nothing new on any of that.

Money always being an issue and other projects are being given a priority (2nd Av line extension and items like that).

Transparency note: I live in the Bx but I would like to see rail service expanded on SI.
 #1594805  by Allan

Interesting idea. Now all they have to do get funding for design and then, if approved, funding to build (and then how long before they start).
 #1594813  by eolesen

We joke about Amtrak being an amusement park ride, and here we have a literal amusement park ride being promoted as public transit............

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk