Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#967753  by terry03

This is a picture of a Grade Separation Bridge on The State Island Rapid Transit built sometime in the 30's. Can anyone recognize what street this is at?
Attachments:
(325.29 KiB) Downloaded 4771 times
 #967812  by R36 Combine Coach

The first photo appears to be Grasmere, with a center island platform and the station building built over the left track instead of straddling both.
 #968419  by Roadgeek Adam

Yeah I think Grasmere on 1. However the problem with 2 is this: It's so nondescript that it could be anywhere on Staten Island, which means we'd have to search hundreds of streets that cross the line somewhere.
 #970571  by andre

First photo is INDEED GRASMIRE! The second photo is actually on the south beach branch the street is St Johns Avenue right before the Belair Road Station. I grew up right down the street from this site... sadly developers tore down the bridge to build houses along the ROW...
 #972003  by terry03

andre wrote:First photo is INDEED GRASMIRE! The second photo is actually on the south beach branch the street is St Johns Avenue right before the Belair Road Station. I grew up right down the street from this site... sadly developers tore down the bridge to build houses along the ROW...
Thanks Andre. After I saw your post I ran a search on the south beach branch and I found a website where someone had 50 to 100 pictures of this old line. He even had the exact same picture I have. He also has a picture of the old abutment that is still standing with the date 1936 embedded in the concrete.
 #972041  by andre

its sad that the land was sold to developers in the late 90s (99/2000) and the entire ROW was covered in townhouses its disgusting
 #972115  by terry03

One article I read said that they wish they had it back. Evidently traffic is horrible today and the busses that replaced the south beach line get caught up in the traffic also.
 #972375  by andre

its a horrendous mess... the buses that replaced the train service on the SB Branch in 1953 never anticipated the explosion that would happen 11 years later with the verazanno bridge. (keeping in mind the VZ toll plaza now sits where the old arochar station was) the ride from lets say the Ft Wadsworth Station to Clifton to change to Tottenville Line St George Train the total ride to the boat was about 15 minutes... the same ride on the S52 bus is about 30 minutes and S51 25-30 minutes without traffic...

The old northshore line got it worse the ride from arlington to st george was about 20 minutes now its a 40 minute bus ride on a very narrow richmond terrace
 #980089  by GretschViking

Hello all. I am new here and I found this thread while searching for SIRT material.

The second photo is indeed St. John's Avenue just before the Belair Road station on the South Beach Branch. How do I know this? I have the exact photo (and then some) on my SIRT pages. Check them out at:

S.I.R.T. South Beach Branch:

http://www.gretschviking.net/GOSIRTPage1.htm

S.I.R.T. North Shore Branch:

http://www.gretschviking.net/GOSIRTNorthShore.htm

#980310  by railfan365

The 1930's photos of the now defunct SIRT branchses are interesting - the ones that I got to see. It was taking an awfully long time for some of them to load.
P.S.: In the pre-electrification days, how were the steam driven trains turned? As far as I can tell in my travels there, all of the tracks at St. George stub end, consistent with emu operation.
 #980770  by terry03

GretschViking wrote:I have seen photos of the now long gone roundabout in Tottenville but nothing for the other two lines. I'll assume they had something similar.
Hi "GretschVkiking" I really didn't think anyone would recoginze either of these two photos. The one on the South Shore Branch was pretty nondescript. Bates & Roger showed both of these in an old company brochure dating back to the war years. The fact that you have an identical picture is quite amazing. If you look hard enough I guess you can find information on these old structures. So much of our history has simply disappeared or its sitting in a library somehwhere where you can't find it. Libraries are only helpful if you live in their area and are a member. I've been researching old railroad structures now for a year and its hard to find a lot of information.
 #981892  by GretschViking

Howdy Terry!

It was quite heart wrenching to see that land sold off and houses built on it. Sometimes I wish the city would just say "We are taking it back! Here's your buy out! MOVE!" :) Let's face it, at the rate these houses are going up, the island is going to sink! That line would have come in handy these days. Dumb move on their part.

One thing I would like to clear up is the South Beach branch was not the "South Shore line". That would be Tottenville. South Beach was known as the East Shore line. Go figure!

For my North Shore Line page, I am in need of photos of the West New Brighton and Harbor Road stations. I have a very grainy 1924 pre-electrification aerial shot of the former and only one of the latter. However, I am always searching for any photos of these two lines during and after service. If you or anyone else here can help, please let me know. Thankie!

GV