Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#70314  by Fred G

Mediocre weather, great trip. We boarded at Grand Central and headed south around the South Ferry loop and sped up the west side to 242nd, our lunch stop. The elevated portion of the west side IRT is wonderful, as each station has unique and really good photo op qualities. I nested at Dykeman St, after flipping a coin to decide between there and 225th and the Broadway Bridge. Our other runby stops were 125th and Junius St.
Once again, thanks to Bill Wall and the MTA folks for putting on a terrific excursion.

Here are some of the photos I grabbed:

http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery/112104LoV

Enjoy!

#70441  by Fred G

Otto Vondrak wrote:Nice pics- noticed the markers weren't lit for these trips?

-otto-
I noticed that too, but quickly forgot as I had to dash off to grab a photo. This seemed to be a very crowded and popular trip (not a bad thing). Our photo stops at non-express track stations had to be really brief as well due to the busy headways on the west side IRT.

Still, no complaints from me; I enjoy every fan trip that comes along.

#70514  by Robert Paniagua

Many of those shots came from line 1, which serves my extended family in upper Manhattan also. I'm very familiar with that route.

#70531  by Olton Hall

Otto Vondrak wrote:Nice pics- noticed the markers weren't lit for these trips?

-otto-
By markers I'm assuming you mean the red light on top? They turned them on as it entered 96 St. I don't know if they kept them on though after the station. 7.78 MB AVI file @ 96th St.