Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#919374  by Head-end View

Today while on the eastbound platform at Newark, I noticed a signal I'd not seen before. At the end of the platform there was the usual green "clear" signal. But next to it, at lower right was a flashing red light. It looked like a LIRR "order board". I'd not noticed it there before. Does anyone know what it means? It's not shown on either of 2 PATH signal aspect charts I have.
 #919428  by Terry Kennedy

Head-end View wrote:Today while on the eastbound platform at Newark, I noticed a signal I'd not seen before. At the end of the platform there was the usual green "clear" signal. But next to it, at lower right was a flashing red light. It looked like a LIRR "order board". I'd not noticed it there before. Does anyone know what it means? It's not shown on either of 2 PATH signal aspect charts I have.
Assuming it was in a separate housing, it was indeed a "radio for instructions" signal. There's one at the front of the eastbound Grove St. track as well. I'm not sure how well maintained / used they are - even years ago, the one at Grove was acting up a lot - flashing even though Control didn't need to talk to anybody, staying on solid after the train cleared the block ahead, and so forth. I haven't seen the Grove one active in a number of years, though I don't ride the system as often as I used to.

If it was in the same housing as a regular signal, that would be rather bizarre at that location. There are a few spots where repeater signals at curves blink, to differentiate a repeater in an unusual location from a normal signal on another track. There's one one just before you get to the Journal Square yards, coming from Newark.
 #919712  by Head-end View

Right on Terry. It was a separate housing below and to the right of the main signal, so your explanation fits. And yes, I have seen that left-hand repeater on the curve approaching Journal Sq. It used to be flashing green years ago, and is now flashing double-yellow for "speed-control".
 #919741  by OportRailfan

I've noticed/seen that signal doing the same thing before HEV. Never took any interest in it, as I knew it couldn't be a standard signal.
 #919844  by HBLR

Could it be related to the dock bridge at all?
 #922213  by jb9152

HBLR wrote:Could it be related to the dock bridge at all?
Go up a few posts. I think you'll find the answer there.
 #937903  by Head-end View

Saw that signal operating again today. Don't know the reason. And on the prior westbound trip we actually rolled up to a dark signal in the Meadows. The engineer radioed the dispatcher saying the tripper was down but the signal was dark. The disp. apparently authorized the train to proceed past it and we continued to Newark.