Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#67998  by braves

When the new R160 cars arrive in 2006 & Bergen St Interlocking is completed, this is the way F express will work that I heard from some resources.

1)Run F trains express between Jay Sy & Church Av in both directions.

2)Extend the V train local to Church Av.

3)Extend the G train to Church Av.

#68353  by NJTransitFan

Braves, interesting ideas and I like them. Due to the fact, that I totally agree with you that we need that V Train to go into Church Avenue. But, what I disagree with is we don't need more empty train, such as, the G Train going to Church Avenue. And, I don't think that we need three trains to go to Church Avenue, when most ridership is going on the F or V Trains.

#69045  by John Laubenheimer

Keep in mind that turning the "G" train at Smith/9th Sts requires fouling the express tracks at 4th Ave; this is not necessarily a quick turnaround, either. In order to utilize those express tracks, you must run the "G" service to Church Ave! What you suggest may be practical and necessary during rush hours, but is way too much service at other times.

#69161  by NJTransitFan

During the Weekdays, the V Trains run from 71/Continental Avenues to Church Avenue running local via 6th Avenue and Lower East Side. While, on the weekends, train service will be rolled back to its current 2nd Avenue/Lower East Side terminal. While, this is going on the weekends, maybe pull the G Train from Court Square to Church Avenue. Therefore, on the weekdays, G Trains terminates at its current terminal of Smith/9th Streets.

#69251  by GP38

I would love to see express service on the South Brooklyn line again, however, I think if the V should be extended anywhere, it should be extended from Bway-Lafayette to Essex Street, and then to Metropolitan Ave, replacing the M. This would serve a lot more people better. The V would take over the M line on Bway and Myrtle. You wouldn't even need any extra trains, as it would be a clean combination of the two lines. All what would need to be done is to trade the V's R46's with the E's R32's. The M would be abolished, and the V would run with 8 car 60 foot car trains or R32's and R42's. The J or Z would be extended rush hours to Bay Parkway to take over from the M's loss.
 #81372  by braves

I have been told now that F express service in Brooklyn will not be restored until 2008 but this has nothing to do with the Bergen St Interlocking project, this now has to do with the viaduct work along the outside segment between Carroll St portal & 4th Av portal.

F train riders in Brooklyn have now been waiting 14 years for express service to resume. Do you think that 2008 will finally be the year that F express service is restored.
 #81987  by ctaman34

i thought i heard in the next 2 years.

#82506  by PacificCommand

I dont see why people dont get the fact that ITS NOT COMING BACK.
The culver express is a known failure. It wasnt running before the fire, and it still wont be running afrter all the damage is fixed.
 #548537  by M&Eman

Why do the express tracks on the F in Brooklyn remain unused? It would be nice if the G was extended as a local to Church Ave. and the F was made express to Church Ave.
 #548539  by Hebrewman9

M&Eman wrote:Why do the express tracks on the F in Brooklyn remain unused? It would be nice if the G was extended as a local to Church Ave. and the F was made express to Church Ave.
I think this would be too much of an inconvinience to Manhattan-bound passengers at the bypassed stations.
 #548555  by M&Eman

A transfer at Smith/9th wouldn't be the end of the world for inner Culver Line passengers.
 #548719  by jonnhrr

The transfer could be at 7th ave ( G would have to be extended to Church Ave) or Bergen St. although the latter would require climbing stairs from/to the lower level platforms.

Jon
 #548736  by Wallyhorse

Actually:

The G is supposed to be extended to Church Avenue as I understand it while work is being done on the line, and once that work is complete in 2012, I believe they are supposed to actually go to that from what I remember reading (G local, F express).
 #548837  by b&p rupture

jonnhrr wrote:The transfer could be at 7th ave ( G would have to be extended to Church Ave) or Bergen St. although the latter would require climbing stairs from/to the lower level platforms.

Jon

Lower level Bergen street platform are apparently permanently removed from service and are a huge mess. It's doubtful expresses, if they are done in the future, would make stops there.