Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#858129  by queensdee223

Thanks for this great forum. I read it all the time.

I've got a question on how to get around. I'm traveling from Middle Village on Saturday to Radio City. I need to be at the hall around 7:00 and am returning after 10:30. The closest stop to where I'm leaving from is the one at the corner of Metropolitan Avenue and 57th. If I'm reading it right, the farthest I could get from that stop on the M when I'm traveling would be Myrtle Ave, then I'd have to transfer for the J and then do some more transferring after that. Or, I could drive to Woodside and take the 7, or I could just plain drive.

When I ride the subway, I usually start out at Penn Station and go uptown or downtown, so this is a new trip for me.

Thanks again!
 #858160  by Allan

mysterd429 wrote:Thanks for this great forum. I read it all the time.

I've got a question on how to get around. I'm traveling from Middle Village on Saturday to Radio City. I need to be at the hall around 7:00 and am returning after 10:30. The closest stop to where I'm leaving from is the one at the corner of Metropolitan Avenue and 57th. If I'm reading it right, the farthest I could get from that stop on the M when I'm traveling would be Myrtle Ave, then I'd have to transfer for the J and then do some more transferring after that. Or, I could drive to Woodside and take the 7, or I could just plain drive.

When I ride the subway, I usually start out at Penn Station and go uptown or downtown, so this is a new trip for me.

Thanks again!

Don't drive there. Traffic in Manhattan is horrendous and off street parking very expensive.

***** I am editing this to reflect the diversions scheduled for this weekend (thank you mysterd429 for pointing this out - my fault for not checking the service changes for this weekend)*****

M to to 47th-50th St Rockefeller Center. At 47-50 use the stairs toward the front of platform.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are not traveling this Saturday then what I wrote before would hold true:

1) M to Myrtle-Wycoff and then downstairs for an 8th Av bound L to 6th Av. At 6th Av, use the stairs mid-platform for an uptown F to 47th-50th St Rockefeller Center. At 47-50 use the stairs toward the front of platform.

2) M to Myrtle-Broadway, then J to Essex St, go downstairs for an uptown F to 47th-50th St Rockefeller Center.

I suggest the first one. L trains tend to run a bit more often than J trains.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to drive to Woodside and get the 7, that is fine provided you will be able to find parking. From Woodside take the 7 to 5th Avenue, go upstairs for the uptown D or F train (42nd St station). Take either one stop to 47th-50th Sts Rockefeller Center.
Last edited by Allan on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #858163  by Ken S.

Are you going this Saturday? If so, the M is running to the station at 57th Street and 6th Avenue. You can just stay on the M, there is no L between Manhattan and Brooklyn.