Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by railfan365

3rdrail wrote:It comes from "NAPO", the National Association of Police Organizations (Executive Director William Johnson (2002)), "Top Cops" TV show (Executive Producer (and former NYPD Officer Sonny Grosso), and spokesperson/emcee John Walsh of "America's Most Wanted" at their 9/11/02 awards ceremony at the City Center, 130 W.56th St. NYC. I was privileged to be in attendance, heard the late James Earl Jones in his best "Darth Vader" voice welcome Officer Delgado onto the stage where she was ceremoniously decorated following a video presentation by America's Most Wanted detailing her heroism, along with eighteen seperate other "top cops" for their acts of heroism, with a Special Presentation to honor the September 11, 200l responders.
My quibble with this story has nothing to do with railroading - but it should be noted that James Earl Jones is NOT late. At least not yet - he's still alive.
  by 3rdrail

Thank you for correcting me, railfan365. I am very glad that Mr. Jones is still with us. He has a commanding presence and I can say that few are as impressive as he vocally.
  by railfan365

3rdrail wrote:Thank you for correcting me, railfan365. I am very glad that Mr. Jones is still with us. He has a commanding presence and I can say that few are as impressive as he vocally.
On a final note in this subject - I'll share that I shared an elevator ride with Mr. Jones, about 25 years ago - and his presence is just as impressive up close as it is in a public forum.
  by 3rdrail

Here is a moving photograph that RR.Net members might be interested in that I took during the NAPO/Top Cops ceremony.
A United States flag was miraculously recovered in the debris three days after the attack on 9/14/01 by National Guard soldiers who were going to have it destroyed in militiary fashion. Port Authority Police heard about the flag and demanded and received it as a memorial to their officers who were murdered on 9/11/01. It has since been carefully protected and brought out for only very special occasions after it's long duty of being presented at WTC police funerals.
Here she is- Old Glory. Banged up and tattered, but a miracle to come out recognizable amidst shredded heavy metal. Seen on the far right is Mr. Jones. When this was displayed, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. Never forget.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa26 ... ds02-2.jpg
  by keithsy

The only reverse move is when making a cut. A train can never make a full-fledged reverse move. It would have an adverse effect on the signals.
  by Kamen Rider

Unless the signals are set up to allow it. You could back up from Metro all the way to Myrtle broadway if the road is clear.
  by RearOfSignal

I've been on trains running the "wrong way" on track signalled in one direction. From E180 Street to Dyre Ave.
  by Trainmaster5

RearOfSignal wrote:I've been on trains running the "wrong way" on track signalled in one direction. From E180 Street to Dyre Ave.
I've operated the Dyre #5 line for years. What you describe is a single track shuttle with one train on the entire line. A reverse move is something else entirely.