Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#62866  by DavidReeves

Over 150 of the World's Leading Artists and Designers have come together to celebrate the New York City Subway Centennial with Tag the System NY.
Each artist was given a blank subway car, and asked to lend their own creative style and vision to designing their own unique interpretation of a New York City Subway Car. The cars, almost 2 foot wide, were designed by Klim K and manufactured by Drastic Plastic. The artists participating include a very diverse set of styles, from old school to current grafitti artists, to comic and animation artists, to sculptors and even traditional companies including Nike and the Mattel Hot Wheels Team.
Tag The System will be opening at NYC Showroom at 117 2nd Ave, NY,NY, 10003, Friday October 29th thru November 21st 2004.

Admission is Free. Most original pieces of art will be for sale. A portion of the proceeds will go to charity.

For more information, e-mail [email protected] or call 212-253-8699

For a Sneak Peak at some of the artwork, visit www.TagTheSystem.com

Tag The System NYC 2004 Sponsored by:
Dark Horse Publications
Gamut Industries
Juxtapose Magazine
Lee's Toy Review
Recon
StrangeCo
Toy Tokyo

#63064  by Allan

Why is it this doesn't give me a comfortable feeling?

#63075  by Otto Vondrak

It looks like an exhibit of graffitti tags on some large scale models of subway cars... it looks interesting. I dont support defacing public property, but if people want to deface/decorate models of public property, I guess that's ok!

-otto-
 #63321  by DavidReeves

Actually, most are not grafitti artists, they are main stream artists, like Gary Baseman (Disney, Teachers Pet Movie and Fox TV Show), Mattel Hotwheels Team, Nike, etc.

We're not encouraging defacing real cars, but buying the large scale models and painting on them or turn into sculptures.

This is a purely American /NYC artform, that is now very big worldwide.

Those Grafitti style clothes you see everywhere on clothes and ads, started with people like Seen, Dr. Revolt and others painting on cars.

Now they paint on canvas.

#63679  by Otto Vondrak

I agree- I think the project is innovative. I find myself torn when it comes to the era of subway grafitti murals. As an artist, I appreciate the form of expression...

But the real question is where can I get my 2' Drastic Plastic Redbird??

=otto=

#126883  by huntersails23

my views on "tagging" something are twofold.

1:a tag is an art form. it should be treated as such. not a reason to scream about how you're better then someone. concepts people,concepts!

2:tagging public property is illegal. consider it as a felony. using a gang monacher is simply out of the question. i am often paid to design sales murals with a group of friends. find somebody who wants it done as an ad or the like,and do it that way.

and btw..the grafitti is showing up on new m7 cars already.