Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#792213  by Dylanchris73

I live in Astoria. With the W being discontinued and Q extended, there will now be 2 lines going from Astoria to Coney Island. I know they have different routes in Brooklyn, it just seems odd.
 #792235  by railfan365

Dylanchris73 wrote:I live in Astoria. With the W being discontinued and Q extended, there will now be 2 lines going from Astoria to Coney Island. I know they have different routes in Brooklyn, it just seems odd.
In addition to the quirk that's been mentioned, the extension of the Q to Astoria is wasteful in that since the W shadowed the N from Ditmars to Herald Square and the R from Lexington to Whitehall, the really needn't do anything to replace the W. Just have passengers take the R or the N instead, or start on one and transfer to the other.

Also, there's the issue that with the Q running to Astoria, it that will eventually ( I hope) be an issue in having service on the Second Avenue.
 #792786  by Kamen Rider

Dylanchris73 wrote:I live in Astoria. With the W being discontinued and Q extended, there will now be 2 lines going from Astoria to Coney Island. I know they have different routes in Brooklyn, it just seems odd.
You had that during the Bridge Flip, where it was even worse (West End and Sea Beach then, vs Sea Beach and Brighton

And remember, prior to the 11th street cut, EVERYTHING that didn't end in manhattan went to Queensboro Plaza (the on to Astoria after 1949)
 #793114  by R36 Combine Coach

57 Street can still be used as a terminal (which it was designed as).