Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#774484  by redbirdfever

Hey guys, wondering if you can help me here... I already posted this on another forum but I figured I would try to get the word out as many places as possible...

I, like a lot of other people, am a big fan of the redbird subway cars. I also have a small collection of old skeleton keys from various things... I figured I would put both of my interests together and see if I could find the old IRT line door skeleton key, pictured below. If anyone has one that they would be willing to part with or knows where I could obtain one, please let me know!
*note* these do not open anything on current models!

Thanks!
 #774867  by Allan

Passenger wrote:Are there perhaps some Redbirds still sort of in service as work train engines or something?

Yes, many of the saved redbirds (now in yellow paint) are work trains. Also there is the "Train of Many Colors" in the Museum Fleet.

At this point possession of that key by anyone other than a MTA employee (or other such authorized persons) would be considered illegal (possession of burglary tools).
 #775509  by R36 Combine Coach

There's lots of Redbirds still around, so I guess not. This key would still be off limits for many years to come, as the R33/R36s in work duty will last quite some time.