Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

  by CPSK
 
Hi;
I was scanning on my Yaesu/Vertex VX-150 and found a lot of activity on 161.1900. It is NYC subways, a desk named RCC. I am hearing activity from all around, so I guess this is the main channel? It is a repeater, so I get both sides of the communication.

If I want to listen to subways, what other freqs should I be listening to?

Thanks

FW
  by Allan
 
CPSK wrote:Hi;
I was scanning on my Yaesu/Vertex VX-150 and found a lot of activity on 161.1900. It is NYC subways, a desk named RCC. I am hearing activity from all around, so I guess this is the main channel? It is a repeater, so I get both sides of the communication.

If I want to listen to subways, what other freqs should I be listening to?

Thanks

FW
RCC stands for Rail Control Center. Each division has one.

161.900 is the "Command Center (or dispatcher) to train" frequency for the A division (IRT) - the numbered lines (except for the 7).

You'll find them all here:

http://www.panix.com/~clay/scanning/fre ... ycta.shtml

It isn't necessary for you to program in the Train to dispatcher frequencies as they are automatically picked up and repeated by the Dispatcher to train ones.

I don't know where you are but don't expect to get much activity on some of them. The further you are from the area of operation the weaker the signal will be. Sometimes on a cloudy day/night the signal will be stronger. Also conditions around you (buildings etc) will affect reception. You own't hear anything that is being transmitted underground (unless you are underground and then you would be limited to that lines transmissions).

I am in the NE Bronx (and I am 23 stories up with an unobstructed view)and all I generally get is the A division - and generally only what goes on in the Bronx. It is a rare occasion when I might hear a train at New Lots in Brooklyn. On some occasions I'll get the B1 (BMT) and B2 (IND). On rare occasions I can hear the Coney Island Yard.

Enjoy
  by CPSK
 
Thanks Allan;
Most of what I am hearing is from the Bronx, but I believe I also heard other stations mentioned. I thought once I heard Bowling Green, and I definitely heard Brooklyn Bridge. I also heard conversation between train and dispatcher from Mosholu Pkwy.
I live in Teaneck, NJ, which is about 4 miles west of the GWB.
I am near the highest point in town, but much lower than Ft. Lee.
I am actually quite surprised to get anything from NYC subways, even though the signals are transmitted outside. I guess there is a repeater somewhere in The Bronx, and it probably has some elevation, that gives my antenna, which is up about 30ft, a line of sight to the antenna.

Problem is, there is so much activity on that channel, I miss a lot of activity on the local CSX River Line, and NJT. It will be interesting to listen during the upcoming snowstorm though. I imagine there will be some problems on the elevated sections, albeit not nearly as bad as what buses will have to deal with<g>.

FW
  by Allan
 
CPSK wrote:Thanks Allan;
Most of what I am hearing is from the Bronx, but I believe I also heard other stations mentioned. I thought once I heard Bowling Green, and I definitely heard Brooklyn Bridge. I also heard conversation between train and dispatcher from Mosholu Pkwy.
I live in Teaneck, NJ, which is about 4 miles west of the GWB.
I am near the highest point in town, but much lower than Ft. Lee.
I am actually quite surprised to get anything from NYC subways, even though the signals are transmitted outside. I guess there is a repeater somewhere in The Bronx, and it probably has some elevation, that gives my antenna, which is up about 30ft, a line of sight to the antenna.

Problem is, there is so much activity on that channel, I miss a lot of activity on the local CSX River Line, and NJT. It will be interesting to listen during the upcoming snowstorm though. I imagine there will be some problems on the elevated sections, albeit not nearly as bad as what buses will have to deal with<g>.

FW

The elevated sections won't have too many problems. It is when they ramp down to the subway tunnel portal that a heavy snow will cause a problem. Also any line that has an outdoor section on an open embankment will have serious problems. Lines such as the #5 between E180th St and Dyre Av, the Brighton line (Q) from Prospe4ct Park to Brighton Beach, the entire Sea Beach line (N) from north of 9th St to Coney Island and the West End line (D) from Bay 50th to Coney Island.

Because of the potential heavy snow, most express trains will be running local because trains will be stored on the express tracks underground rather than in the train yards.
  by fishmech
 
Allan wrote: Because of the potential heavy snow, most express trains will be running local because trains will be stored on the express tracks underground rather than in the train yards.
Hey, that's actually a really neat idea! Does that have to do with the reroutes that were in place today? (D running on the local tracks up 6th Ave, N running north as an express of sorts on the BMT West End Line, etc?)
  by CPSK
 
I heard some talk last night on the radio in reference to "snow shoes". I am assuming that the trains that go outside need some special fittings for the 3rd rail shoes?

FW
  by Allan
 
fishmech wrote:
Allan wrote: Because of the potential heavy snow, most express trains will be running local because trains will be stored on the express tracks underground rather than in the train yards.
Hey, that's actually a really neat idea! Does that have to do with the reroutes that were in place today? (D running on the local tracks up 6th Ave, N running north as an express of sorts on the BMT West End Line, etc?)
No. There are some track work jobs scheduled for this weekend (starting right after midnight). They are going to do as much as they can before the snow hits. Once the snow starts to pile up the track work will stop and service will return to normal.
  by Allan
 
CPSK wrote:I heard some talk last night on the radio in reference to "snow shoes". I am assuming that the trains that go outside need some special fittings for the 3rd rail shoes?

FW

I think those are only for the work equipment, especially those assigned to clear the tracks during and after it snows.

It would take much too long to outfit every train that has an outside section (as most of the do) with special 3rd rail contact shoes.
  by CPSK
 
Allan wrote:
CPSK wrote:I heard some talk last night on the radio in reference to "snow shoes". I am assuming that the trains that go outside need some special fittings for the 3rd rail shoes?

FW

I think those are only for the work equipment, especially those assigned to clear the tracks during and after it snows.

It would take much too long to outfit every train that has an outside section (as most of the do) with special 3rd rail contact shoes.
Makes sense.

FW
  by MNR's #1 Conductor
 
Here you go......

161.190 - IRT Division A Road/Dispatcher
161.505 - BMT Division B1 Road/Dispatcher
161.565 - IND Division B2 Road/Dispatcher
160.845 - Yard Channel (though I heard Coney Island Yard also uses several other channels, those of which I do not know, since most are heard on 160.845)
156.105 - Signal Department
470.4875 - NYCT MOW
160.965 - NYPD Transit Division Queens
160.905 - NYPD Transit Division Manhattan
160.500 - NYPD Transit Division Bronx
160.305 - NYPD Transit Division Brooklyn
470.4375 - Staten Island Railway Road/Dispatcher/MTA PD/MOW

Hope this helps!!