Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#729390  by greenpointmike

Last evening I was stuck in traffic on the George Washington Bridge, while maybe 3-5 flatbeds rolled in newer Subway Cars. I was under the assumption that the subway cars are usually flatbedded via rail and transferred, not delivered overland. My only guess is it could've been for a movie shoot ?
 #729517  by Kamen Rider

no, they haven't used rail since the R142s. what you saw were probibly Alstom cars coming from upstate.
 #729580  by R36 Combine Coach

R160A cars are delivered by Alstom from Hornell via flatbed to 207 Street Shop using I-81, I-380, I-80 and the George Washington Bridge.
 #729818  by Kamen Rider

unforunilty, it's just not worth it when you're getting 5 or 6 at a time. when trucked, they are brought right to 207th. when rail was last used. it requied blocking a track at fresh Pond yard so that a ramp could be built and the cars offloaded from thier flat cars, they then had to be towed down the bay ridge and transfered onto the subway.
 #747112  by narig01

FYI . Last week I saw what I believe to a subway car for the IRT lines at a truck stop in Youngstown, OH. Railcar was a 3 door car roughly 40Ft Long 8' 6" Wide. Was under a tarp & wrapped in plastic so I could not see much. The trucks were not under the car. Should have taken a picture.
I am assuming this was bound for NYC looking at the general dimensions. Too many doors for Chicago. too short for anywhere else.
By the way it is quite common for Rapid Transit & Light Rail cars to be delivered by truck. Seems like RR don't want the business. It is not cheap to use truck this stuff. But RR don't seem to want expensive cargo.(1-3 Million dollar liability).
Rgds IGN
 #747118  by Fan Railer

narig01 wrote:FYI . Last week I saw what I believe to a subway car for the IRT lines at a truck stop in Youngstown, OH. Railcar was a 3 door car roughly 40Ft Long 8' 6" Wide. Was under a tarp & wrapped in plastic so I could not see much. The trucks were not under the car. Should have taken a picture.
I am assuming this was bound for NYC looking at the general dimensions. Too many doors for Chicago. too short for anywhere else.
By the way it is quite common for Rapid Transit & Light Rail cars to be delivered by truck. Seems like RR don't want the business. It is not cheap to use truck this stuff. But RR don't seem to want expensive cargo.(1-3 Million dollar liability).
Rgds IGN
like i said in the other thread, they are the PA-5s for PATH.
 #749186  by Patrick Boylan

If you really want to mix up threads and fora, summer 1982 I thought I saw a PATH car on a flatcar just south of Norristown PA station. At that point I think at least one track is ex-Pennsylvania railroad to connect with the Trenton cutoff, the other 2 tracks are ex-Reading, primarily for SEPTA's R6 train.
 #749296  by Kamen Rider

the PA3s came in 1972 and were built by Hawker-Siddeley. the PA4s were built in 1987 by Kawasaki. I have this nagging feeling that might have been the CTA 6000 cars boun for the P&W,but I can't find when they were shipped. I'll get backto you on that one.
 #749358  by R36 Combine Coach

I would doubt also that it was an older PA car (PA1/PA/PA3) being sent out to overhaul at MK, as they weren't rebuilt until c. 1987.
 #753303  by Statkowski

The World's Fair cars for the No. 7 Flushing Line came, I believe, from St. Louis Car Co. and were delivered by rail. I'm not sure how they got to the New Haven's Oak Point Yard (carfloat from Jersey City or via the Bay Ridge Line), but they were delivered to the NYCTA via the ex-NYW&B rail connection to the IRT's 180th St. Yard. Once activated, they were run down to Lenox Ave. or so, thence back up to the IRT/IND connection on the west side of the Bronx. From there, they ran via the IND all the way to Coney Island so they could transfer over to the BMT, then back up to cross over to IRT tracks at Queensboro Plaza.

A lot of IRT cars were delivered via the New Haven Railroad.
 #754505  by R36 Combine Coach

Statkowski wrote:The World's Fair cars for the No. 7 Flushing Line came, I believe, from St. Louis Car Co. and were delivered by rail. I'm not sure how they got to the New Haven's Oak Point Yard (carfloat from Jersey City or via the Bay Ridge Line), but they were delivered to the NYCTA via the ex-NYW&B rail connection to the IRT's 180th St. Yard. Once activated, they were run down to Lenox Ave. or so, thence back up to the IRT/IND connection on the west side of the Bronx. From there, they ran via the IND all the way to Coney Island so they could transfer over to the BMT, then back up to cross over to IRT tracks at Queensboro Plaza.
The IRT-NH connection was removed sometime in the late 1960s, therefore the R36 World's Fair (#7 Flushing) cars in 1964 were the last to be delivered via the NH. They most likely went from St. Louis via PRR via Indianapolis, Columbus, OH and Harrisburg, PA, then via RDG, LV or CNJ to to Jersey City, then via carfloat to NH terminal docks in the South Bronx and then to Oak Point.

The R32s by Budd in 1964 were shipped from Red Lion by RDG to Jersey CIty and then carfloat to SBK and then to Coney Island.
 #754572  by Statkowski

The IRT-NH connection was used in the late 60s, mostly ballast deliveries.