Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#700356  by goodnightjohnwayne

http://www.wabtec.com/corp/openpdf_PR.a ... otives.pdf
WILMERDING, Pa., Dec. 7, 2005 -- Wabtec Corporation (NYSE: WAB) today
announced that its MotivePower subsidiary has been awarded a contract by the Metropolitan
Transportation Authority’s New York City Transit to build 28 new work train locomotives
for $93 million. The contract includes an option for 10 more locomotives for an additional
$29 million, or a total of $122 million.
The locomotives will be built at MotivePower’s Boise, Idaho facility, with work
scheduled to begin on a prototype in 2006 and deliveries scheduled for 2007-09.
Is there any news on this order?
 #701522  by Kamen Rider

I asked one of the 207th street guys yesterday (turns out he worked on the project).

the prototype was a failure, it hasn't been canned, but they are trying to fuigre the situation out,
 #701833  by jtunnel

I was stuck on the Belt traffic (surprise) the other night and saw some interesting looking "yellow" things near the main shop building. Did not look familiar, is Transit hiding a few of these at Coney Island?
 #702041  by Fan Railer

railfan365 wrote:It makes sense that any new locomotives have diesel power for being able to work without electric rail power. My question is whether they're dual mode so that they won't stink up underground tunnels.
it would explain the third rail contact shoes in the diagrams, lol.
 #702145  by BobLI

If the 3rd rail power is off and the Diesel is running on the track the 3rd rail shoe is needed for the signal system??? How??...power is off so theres no return circuit to the rails.

Please explain why 3rd rail shoes are needed for signal system.
 #702431  by jtunnel

Power is off in the work zone, but the work train still needs to get to the work zone.

This requires the train to be able to operate in the rest of the system to let the other road trains (like the one carrying me and my fellow commuters to work early in the morning) know "hey there is a train in the block ahead"

Some of the diesels have third rail shoes, as do some of the rider cars and flat cars so things work like they should. You notice they have trip cocks too, so if they go through a red signal the brake line gets tripped and they leave a strike mark on the trip arm too.
 #703608  by Matted33

3rd rail shoes have nothing to do with the signal system. The 600 volts in the 3rd rail is DC and the signal system is AC. Then the 3rd rail power is cut, the signal power is still on, but when the signal power fails, as a safety measure, all the trip arms will be raised to stop the movement of trains. Many of the work locos that have 3rd rail shoes, have had them cut back but not removed. As for the 28 new ones, I can't wait to see what they look like and how the do with the CBTC system on the L line.