Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#827927  by GreatOne2k7

Marv95 wrote:
GreatOne2k7 wrote:
Marv95 wrote:Hard to do when there aren't multiple platforms at Penn Station unlike Journal Square and 33rd. And you already have NJT going into midtown, so what's the point.
NJT is a lot more expensive than PATH.
And faster. Besides, the tourists and NYC-lovers can afford it
With the paypass trial it is rumored that PATH has free transfers to at least some NYC buses like the M23, another plus for those who are in that program
 #881663  by blasito

I heard an interview with an executive at NY Red Bull who said while they are working with the PA to improve game day transit, the new station will be built only when the other development in the area is going up, so were looking at a wait of 3-5 years or longer, depending on the market.
 #882037  by HBLR

I hope they preserve part of the current canopy, that thing is vintage, at least in styling.
 #1021953  by R36 Combine Coach

HBLR wrote:I hope they preserve part of the current canopy, that thing is vintage, at least in styling.
The station indeed "qualifies" as historic, with the headhouse. Built in 1937 (when H&M was routed to Newark Penn Station), it is PRR style Art Deco (like 30 Street and Newark) with a "Keystone" on the front facade.
 #1025097  by 35dtmrs92

blasito wrote:I heard an interview with an executive at NY Red Bull who said while they are working with the PA to improve game day transit, the new station will be built only when the other development in the area is going up, so were looking at a wait of 3-5 years or longer, depending on the market.
If the PA is going to wait another 3 to 5 years, I hope they design an island platform station where the current WTC bound platform is, shifting both PATH mains to the stadium-ward side of the ROW. It addresses the split layout of the station, which is suboptimal anyway and is going to be even more so if development around Harrison takes off. Moreover, shifting the westward PATH track to the south side of the ROW for the entire run from Harrison to Kearny (or wherever it breaks off to hug the MMC) will allow NJT to finish the Waterfront Connection. That would allow NJT to run more direct trains to Hoboken by eliminating a westbound crossover of the NY-bound NEC main that is hard to schedule.

Now, since I am studying in North Jersey but come from the shore area, there is a selfish motivation here ;-). But it may be a relatively easy way to add capacity until the new Hudson tunnel is built. More than that, when (not if) construction for the new Hudson rail tunnel, I imagine some NJT trains to Penn will be diverted periodically anyway to facilitate construction; a complete Waterfront Connection would greatly simplify such an arrangement.

Would it be a big undertaking? Yes. I won't hold my breath, but three to five years is a lot of time. Perhaps the PA, NJT and Amtrak can coordinate some plan like this.
 #1031976  by JCGUY

Those of you interested in this project might want to get on the PA's website. The construction committee's video record of the public meeting held on March 28 describes the project partly in detail and partly in broad strokes (i.e., they have a specific idea of what they want built and where but they have not commenced final design work). The project is fairly complex, essentially involving the building of four separate headhouse structures. The presenter took the view that additional modern head houses on the east side of Rodgers Blvd. would come on line two years after construction commences. Commencement of construction is going to hinge on completion of property acquisition, demolition, remediation and probably nuisance permitting and other matters left undiscussed, as well as final design I suppose.

There was a reference in the meeting to the "realignment" of NEC and PATH tracks. There was no explanation of that statement. Given the lack of explanation, I suppose the alignment alteration is a simple matter of moving tracks slightly to align to new platform configurations. I was wondering, however, whether anyone knew if the new station contemplates an alignment change that would allow for additional through tracks in the area for NEC movements?
 #1032296  by JCGUY

The Harrison Station cannot accommodate ten car trains, is not ADA accessible and can't handle even moderate foot traffic. It is not adequate.
 #1032332  by amtrakowitz

JCGUY wrote:The Harrison Station cannot accommodate ten car trains, is not ADA accessible and can't handle even moderate foot traffic. It is not adequate
PATH will fail in its misguided attempt to expand the former Hudson & Manhattan Railroad's Newark line to accommodate the unnecessary train length of ten cars. Where can they possibly fit a platform of that length in Exchange Place?
 #1032557  by OportRailfan

amtrakowitz wrote:
JCGUY wrote:The Harrison Station cannot accommodate ten car trains, is not ADA accessible and can't handle even moderate foot traffic. It is not adequate
PATH will fail in its misguided attempt to expand the former Hudson & Manhattan Railroad's Newark line to accommodate the unnecessary train length of ten cars. Where can they possibly fit a platform of that length in Exchange Place?
Exchange place was rebuilt in 2003 with this in mind, and can already handle 10-car trains.
 #1032739  by Fan Railer

The only problem I see, is Grove Street... They'd have to undertake major construction to get that setup to support 10 car trains...
 #1032823  by OportRailfan

Renovations will most likely be needed. I know there are a pair of X crossovers on one end, not sure about the other end.