Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#669032  by hithit168

How to make transfer at 34th St - Herald Sq Station?
Hello, I am going to Newark for an interview next Saturday. I never took train before. I hope someone could tell me in detail how to make transfer at 34th St - Herald Sq Station. I have googled the direction but still being confused about the instructions. Please help me out!!!! Any help would be appreciated :wink:

These are the instructions google provides:

Subway - D - Direction: 205th St - Norwood Station
Service run by NYC Transit
7:34am Depart 20th Ave Station
42 mins
8:17am Arrive 34th St - Herald Sq Station

Train - BNTNM - Montclair-Boonton Line - Direction: MSU
15 mins to make transfer
Service run by NJ TRANSIT RAIL
8:32am Depart New York Penn Station
18 mins
8:50am Arrive Newark Broad St
 #669063  by ExCon90

There's a better way than Google came up with: Get off the D train at Jay St., Brooklyn. Walk across the platform and take an A or E train direct to Penn Station. Walk down the stairs at the south end of the platform, and you're in Penn Station. The NJ Transit ticket windows are east of there (toward 7th Ave.), but you'll find it. This is assuming your destination really is closer to Broad St. than to Penn Station (the one in Newark). In any case, check the departure board in Penn Station (NY) to make sure you're on the right train (particularly if it's a job interview!) If it's an important interview, you might even want to do a dry run ahead of time. Good luck!
 #669160  by diffusedmind

ExCon90 wrote:There's a better way than Google came up with: Get off the D train at Jay St., Brooklyn.
No. The D does not stop at Jay Street.

Take the Manhattan-bound D to Atlantic-Pacific, and then transfer to a Manhattan-bound 2 or 3 train. They will bring you to 34th-Penn Station, on the 7th Ave. side.
 #669169  by Ken S.

Where in Newark are you going?

1. NJT's Montclair-Boonton Line doesn't run on Saturday.
2. You might find PATH from WTC to Newark to be a quicker option then going all the way to Midtown. Transfer to the R at Pacific Street and exit at City Hall since Cortlandt Street is still closed and the entrance to the PATH station is closer to City Hall anyway. It's cheaper and the service is a bit more frequent then NJT from NYP.
 #669477  by M&Eman

Even though the Montclair-Boonton Line doesn't run on Saturday, the Morristown Line still calls at Newark Broad on that day. He could still use NJT for the trip. Personally, I think PATH would be more convenient, and less expensive for you. If your destination is on the north side of Downtown Newark, you can take the lightrail crosstown to Broad St.
 #670016  by ExCon90

diffusedmind wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:There's a better way than Google came up with: Get off the D train at Jay St., Brooklyn.

Take the Manhattan-bound D to Atlantic-Pacific, and then transfer to a Manhattan-bound 2 or 3 train. They will bring you to 34th-Penn Station, on the 7th Ave. side.
Red face here. I didn't have a map handy, and I obviously haven't kept up with the route changes.
 #670442  by Aces

If you are not in a rush then grab a grande or venti at Starbucks at 86th and 20th, head up to the D Train and take it to 34th St and then just walk upstairs to the Path Train and take that to Newark.

If you wanted to take NJ Tansit then head up to the street from the rear of the D train and you will be on 32nd St. 1 block from Penn Station.
 #670505  by Kamen Rider

ExCon90 wrote:
diffusedmind wrote:

Red face here. I didn't have a map handy, and I obviously haven't kept up with the route changes.
the D hasn't stopped regularly at Jay St since November 25 1967.