on the new path trains. I'm not a fan of the computer voices and will miss that human touch that comes with the conductor making the announcements
keithsy wrote:I wish to God they would announce the stops and the transfer points. I know where the train is going. In fact, I remember the days of NO ANNOUNCEMENTS! We are a dumb society, catering to the least. Public transit is now a social service.i say this all the time on my train no matter what you do signs, announcement some people will never pay attention
jkb246 wrote:You mean blur blur blurb step in stand clear bing bing.most people who don't get off my train 99% of the time are wearing ipods and the other 1% are drunk/sleepers and in my travels i find that tourist know the system even better than the people who ride it every day because they study the map and plan there route.I dont want to be put in a cab i love being out with the people you hear and see so much and your more able to help people when your out there
Or the poor people left on the train at JSQ because they can't hear the conductor say last stop. I love watching the train pull away from the platform when the 2-3 tourists on the train realize that they were supposed to get off. Time for the 21st century. Let the computers handle it. I don't understand the conductor stand in the new trains though. They couldn't give them a full cab
blasito wrote:"Hooee Bo ken Train, this is the Hooee Bo ken Train" - That guy is one of my favorites. I find most of the time the conductors are very good at announcements on the PATH system.Many also have a great sense of humor. Pre-9/11 I was dating a girl who lived on 34th St. and I'd take the PATH back to NJ late at night. I had been taking the 33rd/HOB/JSQ train, but was getting tired of the spaced-out mob at the 9th and Christoper stations when the clubs let out. So I decided to take the subway to the WTC and catch a NWK train there, since time-wise it was about the same, what with the detour to Hoboken on the midtown service.
fredct wrote:That may be a great sense of humor, but its awful customer service and unprofessional. I feel bad for anyone on that train who was less than certain about the route in the first place. If stories like that got back to the PA, no wonder they wanted automated announcements.It wasn't that bad - remember that at that time at night, this is the only service from the WTC station. Everyone had presumably paid their buck fifty and decided to get on this train already. And as I recall, the rest of the station announcements (including transfers at Grove St.) were fine.
blasito wrote:"Hooee Bo ken Train, this is the Hooee Bo ken Train" - That guy is one of my favorites. I find most of the time the conductors are very good at announcements on the PATH system.Ah, I haven't lived in Hoboken in 5 years, and I still recall that one. Definitely a favorite, along with the sad "ho-bone-trane" guy who sounded like a dejected 1920s bicycle horn, and the nasally "Whirl Tray Center Tren" girl.
blasito wrote:Yes, I will miss them.
"Hooee Bo ken Train, this is the Hooee Bo ken Train" - That guy is one of my favorites. I find most of the time the conductors are very good at announcements on the PATH system.