Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Windowsxpfan2103

Mourners gathered to say farewell to two Brooklyn staples.

Borough President Marty Markowitz and other city leaders led a mock funeral for the M and R trains Thursday.

The MTA has plans to cut service on both lines in an effort to save money.

Some residents say the move would make life much more difficult.

"It's horrible. We need subways, we need buses, we're a city, people have to work at night," said one subway rider.

"I'm in school right now so it makes it that much harder and me not being from here it makes it much more confusing, so it's frustrating all around," said another subway rider.

The Straphangers Campaign says there would be fewer M trains during morning and afternoon rush hour Six R line stations would also be shuttered during the overnights if the plan goes through.

Source: http://www.ny1.com/Default.aspx?ArID=93099
  by arrow

I'm all for reducing service if it keeps the fare down, but I don't like the idea of closing 6 R stations at night. I think that service reductions are more appropriate than eliminating service completely.
  by Port Jervis

arrow wrote:I'm all for reducing service if it keeps the fare down, but I don't like the idea of closing 6 R stations at night. I think that service reductions are more appropriate than eliminating service completely.
The R doesn't serve these stations during the hours of proposed closure. Really it's a cut in N service.

It's not something I like, but it's better than cutting W and Z service entirely. Overnight hour cuts are the least painful.
  by arrow

That's true they are techincally N stations at night.

I do think the W serves some purpose, but a very small one. I wouldn't think twice about cutting Z trains out since that wouldn't require closing any stations at any time.