Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#615459  by jscola30

So me, a Masshole, made a railfan/Christmas overnight trip to NYC Thurs-Fri. I took Amtrak to Penn, the LIRR to Trainland, and saw several the toytrain/model railroad displays. I took the subway quite a bit during my brief trip and I noticed that the subway cars tended to be quite clean. Up here in Boston, the subways are often littered with coffee cups, newspapers, etc from our wonderful riding public. Is this common on the NYC subway or did I experience an exception.
 #615500  by mhig9000

The MTA does a surprisingly good job of keeping car interiors clean, at least during rush hours. If you ever ride a train to a terminus on a weekday, you will see up to a half dozen MTA employees sweeping and/or mopping the interior of each train that pulls in, time permitting. On the 7 line at times square there are usually 2-3 cleaners who will zip in and out to sweep and collect debris except during the peak of rush hour. On the 4 and 5 lines at their Bronx terminuses there seem to be a lot of cleaners on the job weekdays, they mop out each train that pulls in. I dont know whether this is an everday occurance or how long it has been going on but i have been pleasantly surprised to see so much manpower at work keeping the trains clean.

It has occurred to me that they may be a site for people sentenced to community service, given the amount of cleaners on duty at one time but I have no other indications of this, I'm sure someone else on the boards might know.
 #615575  by M&Eman

Most lines, especially those with mostly new cars have relatively clean subway trains. The notable exception to the rule is the ACE IND 8th Avenue line trains. These three services receive the oldest cars in the system (R32) which the MTA seems to have given up on keeping clean. The outsides of these cars look horrendous too. They are so beaten up they look like they have gone through a war zone or something.
 #615929  by arrow

I agree that the cars are kept very clean, considering how many people use them. The stations are another story, however.
 #616175  by hi55us

jscola30 wrote:So me, a Masshole, made a railfan/Christmas overnight trip to NYC Thurs-Fri. I took Amtrak to Penn, the LIRR to Trainland, and saw several the toytrain/model railroad displays. I took the subway quite a bit during my brief trip and I noticed that the subway cars tended to be quite clean. Up here in Boston, the subways are often littered with coffee cups, newspapers, etc from our wonderful riding public. Is this common on the NYC subway or did I experience an exception.
I also think that the placement of NUMEROUS trash baskets in the stations helps the mta keep the cars clean. I find the 8th ave. line to b VERY dirty, I can't stand riding the E all the way out to queens, however the F is much cleaner.