Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#581769  by transit383

While on the PATH train yesterday, I noticed there is about a mile or so of catenary still hung above the tracks. It runs from just about where NJ Transit's MMC is and ends right at the Hackensack River bridge. It is only hung over the eastbound track. Is there any reason this track still has the catenary or was this just an oversight when the rest of the wire was removed?

Was the catenary removal a Conrail move or a PATH move? Does Conrail still use those tracks around Journal Square or is it all PATH now?
 #581777  by Kaback9

I thought the wire came down with the PC or late in the Pennsy era. Thats odd that wire is still up.
 #581891  by kilroy

But Conrail hasn't used electric power in over 25 years so its either left over from then or is there for NJT use in delivering equipment to PATH.
 #581918  by Otto Vondrak

kilroy wrote:But Conrail hasn't used electric power in over 25 years so its either left over from then or is there for NJT use in delivering equipment to PATH.
I don't think NJT and PATH are interchange partners. What's more, that catenary is not maintained, and is most likely de-energized.
 #582002  by R36 Combine Coach

This dates from when the line was the PRR to Exchange Place in downtown Jersey City until 1961. It was never fully removed and portions remain. Interestingly H&M cars shared the line with GG1s and MP54s between Newark and Jersey City.
 #582097  by timz

Otto Vondrak wrote:that catenary is not maintained, and is most likely de-energized.
Last time I looked the east end of the wire was wrapped around a beam at the west end of the river bridge.
sullivan1985 wrote:Conrail does still bring freight trains through Journal Square.
Probably depends on what you mean by Journal Square. Conrail doesn't ordinarily run on the passenger tracks, or on any tracks that still have catenary-- right?
 #582381  by many19

Gentlemen, There are no more Wire hanging anywhere on Path.. there might be still old Poles from where Wire hanged but as far as previously spoken after PC went under and during the 1st few years of CR that was the end of Catenary on this line. There is even Pole for catenary wire on the line Paralleling 1&9. Also the old Service Station that has been abandoned for many years remains are still visible in Journal Square. Railroad Modo... Why pay for removal of old stuff if you don't have too.?
Good Day.
J
 #582481  by jersey_emt

many19 wrote:Gentlemen, There are no more Wire hanging anywhere on Path.. there might be still old Poles from where Wire hanged but as far as previously spoken after PC went under and during the 1st few years of CR that was the end of Catenary on this line. There is even Pole for catenary wire on the line Paralleling 1&9. Also the old Service Station that has been abandoned for many years remains are still visible in Journal Square. Railroad Modo... Why pay for removal of old stuff if you don't have too.?
Good Day.
J
There is definitely still some sections of (unused) catenary above PATH tracks.
 #582535  by OportRailfan

There is definitely some left I think as previously stated on the WTC-Bound approach
 #582740  by Passaic River Rat

many19 wrote:Gentlemen, There are no more Wire hanging anywhere on Path.. there might be still old Poles from where Wire hanged but as far as previously spoken after PC went under and during the 1st few years of CR that was the end of Catenary on this line. There is even Pole for catenary wire on the line Paralleling 1&9. Also the old Service Station that has been abandoned for many years remains are still visible in Journal Square. Railroad Modo... Why pay for removal of old stuff if you don't have too.?
Good Day.
J
Incorrect. There is still catenary hanging above PATH tracks in lots of places.

There is still wire hanging above the westbound track between Hudson Yard and the Center Street Branch.

I guess that it was de-energized and was cheaper to leave in place.
 #583019  by transit383

Good Day.
J
There is still wire hanging otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread. I was in the front car of a WTC train and noticed it above the eastbound track, as mentioned in the first post.
 #583050  by Kaback9

Maybe someone should get a pic of it? I won't be in that part of NJ for a while or I would do it myself. Also if they could do it today that would be great since were supposed to get alot of rain.
 #583122  by OportRailfan

I'll be going to Hoboken tomorrow...I'll see if I can get a couple shots of it
 #583143  by transit383

OportRailfan wrote:I'll be going to Hoboken tomorrow...I'll see if I can get a couple shots of it
Try and sit in that seat up front next to the motorman in the front car or the same seat in the last car. Thats where I was when I noticed it... I don't think its visible from anywhere else in the train.