Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#612598  by 4266

one more thing I had to comment about-
for the record, I haven't seen or smelled the results of a person taking a leak in a long, long time.
and you live in NEW YORK CITY!!! I lived off of the J Train for years and I have to say I wish I were so lucky... Do you ever go outside?
For refernce,the NYPD and NYCTA have cracked down on homeless in the subway. that, and they've started to put public bathrooms back in.
[/quote][/quote]

Starbucks on the Subway? I knew it would happen someday... unless your referring to those pay- as- you- go pods of death. What a difference those have made! Homeless crackdown? Seriously, have you BEEN on the J train lately?
 #612619  by Kamen Rider

I was refering to the free, public restrooms that have been opened in stations; Times Sqaure, Stillwell ave and Queensboro Plaza to name a few.

I was last on the Broadway Brooklyn on Tuesday.
 #612852  by 4266

I guess I must've thought the Times Square bathroom was a Scientology ploy. I have to admit that it has been two weeks since I've been back to Brooklyn so it is entirely possible that the effect of these new bathrooms coupled with this NYPD "crackdown" has completely transformed the very same train that two weeks ago had to close a whole car down due to the man rocking back and forth in a pile of his own feces.
 #622420  by lyonscj

Well, seems like the thread went on sporadically in my absence.

So dogs are terrified of trains and have to be dragged into them?

So dogs would be constantly peeing and pooping in the trains?

Try telling that story in Moscow.

http://darknessatnoon.blogspot.com/2007 ... -dogs.html
Metro Dogs

I've always been amused by the fact that stray dogs ride the metro in Moscow. I've never seen this in other cities, but then again I haven't spent enough time in other metro-wielding metropolises to say definitively whether this sort of thing occurs. For all I know, there are canine urbanites cruising below the streets of London and New York even as I'm writing this.

In Moscow, it's not all that uncommon to see these dogs going about their business (by which I mean traveling somewhere, not going about their "business" on the floor) while you're going about yours (again, traveling somewhere) on the metro. [Note: I have no doubt that on occasion both stray dogs and stray drunks do in fact do their "busines" on the metro, though I've been fortunate enough not to have witnessed either group seeking sweet relief.]

The first time I saw a metro dog was 7 years ago. I was particularly amused to seem him when I boarded the train, as he had spread himself out on the wagon floor with a look on his face that suggested he had found his little slice of personal (I mean canine) heaven. This being my first metro dog encounter, I assumed that he belonged to the passenger seated near him (on the seat, not the floor). The dog layed there quietly as we passed stop after stop, hardly reacting to the tides of passengers that flooded into and out of the wagon at each stop.

Eventually the train came to a halt and the familiar announcement rang out:

Станциа Библиотека им. Ленина. Уважаемые пассажиры! При выходе из поездя, не забываете свои вещи. [Trans: Lenin Library Station. Respected passengers! When exiting the train, do not forget your belongings.]

Apparently the metro dog understands Russia (after all, he's a Russian dog), as he seemed to recognize that this was his stop. Much to my surprise, he jumped to his feet, bolted through the doors just before they closed, and disappeared into the crowd. It was somewhat akin to the actions of the 50-something woman who hasn't been paying attention to the stations and performs a similar jump & bolt maneuver upon realizing that she's about to miss her stop.

As nobody followed the dog or seemed distressed by its abrupt exit, it was then that I realized he belonged to nobody. The city, however, belonged to him, as any dog savvy enough to get around town like that has some smarts. Of course, I was left to contemplate how metro dog knew it was his stop, or why he decided at that very moment that it was time to get off the train. Perhaps he had some reading to do at the Lenin Library, or perhaps, having behaved himself on the train, he simply wanted to relieve himself on the giant statue of Dostoevsky that sits outside the library. I can't blame him, as I'm not particularly fond of the statue, though I've as of yet resisted any urges to express my dissatisfaction in public...

I came across another metro dog about a week ago. This one followed me into the metro station, and I, recalling Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog tried to be polite and made sure the door didn't catch his tail as it swung shut. The dog, clearly no stranger to Moscow's subterranean transportation network, trotted down the stairs and along the corridor leading to the turnstiles. Wisely, he chose the turnstile farthest away from the attendant, who didn't notice him slip through. In fact, I watched the dog deliberately change his course to steer clear of the solidly built woman, likely do to unpleasant memories involving a shoe in rear end. After all, the metro attendants are not exactly the warmest people in Moscow, and that's saying something.

In Moscow, most metro turnstiles are open, tempting passengers to walk straight through unhindered. Woe unto any passenger who does so without swiping his ticket, though, because a set of light-sensors detects the offender, triggering a set of barriers that protrude from the sides to bock passage. [In fact, and entire essay on metro barriers is in the works and will hopefully be appearing soon].

As my furry sputnik [for our non-Russian speaking readers, "sputnik" means "fellow traveler," hence the name for the satellite] was too short to reach the light sensors, he passed through without a problem and without paying. Clever indeed! He trotted down the steps (the station does not have escalators, though I'm sure he loves those) and waited on the platform for a train heading into the center of the city.

Again, I was intrigued by the choices made by metro dogs: how did he decide that he wanted to go into the city rather than to the suburbs? In all reality, he probably just liked the smell of the inbound side of the platform bettern than the outbound side. But I like to think that since this train terminates near the Lenin Library, he too was going to relieve himself on Fyodor Mikhailovich. [I should probably interject here that I have nothing against Dostoevsky - he is one of my favorite Russian writers. It's the statue they put up in front of the library that I'm not fond of, as it seems awkwardly out of place and Fyodor looks like he's about to fall off his very uncomfortable bench. I suppose there's also a part of me that thinks that if it's called the "Lenin Library," there should at least be a statue of Lenin outside. But I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist. In any case, there are many such post-Soviet landmarks in the "new Moscow" that are worthy of being relieived upon by the city's resident strays and drunks. Perhaps a list will be compiled].

Eventually a train arrived, and I followed metro dog onto the car. I plopped down in an open seat, but the dog was much more particular than I. After carefully inspecting a a couple of different sections of the wagon floor (I can only imagine with horror the odors his little nose was processing!), he selected one, circled it, and flopped down on the floor, stretching out as easily and comfortably as if he were on a well-worn rug in front of a crackling fire. Ah, a dog's life!

This scene was too good to pass up, so I deliberately skipped my stop to see what metro dog's next move would be. Would he get off the train when it reached the end of the line at Aleksandrovskiy Sad and everyone empties from the wagons, or would he stay in his comfortable spot as the train filled up with a fresh load of passengers waiting to head home to the suburbs? In other words, was he on his way somewhere, or just there for a pleasant ride?

I realize now that it was a stupid question. After all, he had gotten on the inbound train. Why would he go into the city if he were just going to head back out again on the same train? Of course he was going somewhere. As if on cue, the train pulled into the terminal station, the dog stood up, waiting for the doors to open, and trotted out into the crowd with a determined purpose in his step. I thought about following him to see if he was really on his way to pay Dostoevsky a visit, but he slipped deftly between the legs of Moscow's commuters, disappearing into the vast crowd. Realizing that following him further was impossible, I turned around and got back on the train I had just exiting, waiting for it to fill up with outbound passengers so that I could get back to the station I had intentionally missed.

Maybe the metro dog was too smart to ride the train back and forth, but I, it seems, am not....
While this is an extreme situation, brought on by poorly funded animal control in Russia, and by station entrances dogs can easily penetrate, it shows quite clearly that dogs without any training--or any owners--can learn to be better and more civilized riders than most people.

No point asking them to pay fares--but you can ask me to pay an extra fare for my dog, and I will, happily.

MUTTROCARD.
 #622488  by Kamen Rider

It died because, other than you, no one gives a dam.

if anything yu should have relized the current direction the system is taking might make yur idea pointless. I'd pay to watch you try to get your dog through a H.E.E.T.
 #622563  by lyonscj

Kamen Rider wrote:It died because, other than you, no one gives a dam.

if anything yu should have relized the current direction the system is taking might make yur idea pointless. I'd pay to watch you try to get your dog through a H.E.E.T.
How much? I can use the money. :)

There'd have to be access for the disabled, parents with strollers, etc. And anyway, if you're so worried about panicky untrained dogs on the trains--well, those would never get through such an obstacle. People wouldn't bring them. Non-existent problem solved!

And if nobody else cared, how come the thread went on when I wasn't here?

;)
 #627440  by elise

I would :wink: like to see the MTA rules changed. I lived in Boston and enjoyed very much being able to travel with dogs on the subway - off peak, (trains are just as crowded during rush hour as they are here) - especially when my good friends with flight benefits would visit - fly into logan and bring their 2 dogs leashed with their airport crates taken apart and nested with soft caryall luggage inside on the red line to where I lived.
I would like very much to be able to use public transportation to bring my dog with me to work, off peak, there is almost always plenty of room to bring a dog onto the train without inconveniening others, primarily because the type of people who want to bring their dog with them are mostly having well trained & socialized dogs. My previous dogs traveled all over the country with me, now I have a new puppy, and I will bring him on while he is small enough to fit into a container so he is ready to go when they change the rules.
 #627952  by Kamen Rider

And I would like to date Hillary Duff, but we can't have everything we want.

(and before anyone gets any ideas about that statement, she's 8 months older than me)
 #628025  by RearOfSignal

Kamen Rider wrote:(and before anyone gets any ideas about that statement, she's 8 months older than me)
Wheewww, that's a relief. :-D
 #628189  by lyonscj

elise wrote:I would :wink: like to see the MTA rules changed. I lived in Boston and enjoyed very much being able to travel with dogs on the subway - off peak, (trains are just as crowded during rush hour as they are here) - especially when my good friends with flight benefits would visit - fly into logan and bring their 2 dogs leashed with their airport crates taken apart and nested with soft caryall luggage inside on the red line to where I lived.
I would like very much to be able to use public transportation to bring my dog with me to work, off peak, there is almost always plenty of room to bring a dog onto the train without inconveniening others, primarily because the type of people who want to bring their dog with them are mostly having well trained & socialized dogs. My previous dogs traveled all over the country with me, now I have a new puppy, and I will bring him on while he is small enough to fit into a container so he is ready to go when they change the rules.
Exactly--people just don't realize how adaptable dogs are, and how quickly they figure out new situations.

It's worked beautifully, everywhere it's been tried.
 #628191  by lyonscj

Kamen Rider wrote:And I would like to date Hillary Duff, but we can't have everything we want.
Well, her film career isn't exactly catching fire at the moment, so hang in there kid. :-D
(and before anyone gets any ideas about that statement, she's 8 months older than me)
Yeah, and she's over 21 now, so why you felt the need to even mention that is beyond me. Of course, why you felt the 'Kamen dating Duff = Dogs Riding Trains' analogy worked is beyond me, since you'll never date Duff, and dogs are riding trains all over the world, right now, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Just one more way in which dogs are cooler than you.

;)
 #628234  by Kamen Rider

you've got no chance of the MTA changing the rules ether. Lots of luck on that.
 #628240  by lyonscj

Well, it's definitely going to be a challenge.

I do so appreciate your assistance, keeping my thread bumped and all.

If you need any help with Hilary, let me know.

;)
 #628258  by Kamen Rider

Look, I know the people at transit who make these kinds of decisions. they've got a rather long list of things you can't do on the subway, why are you so dam sure that they will listen to you and make one huge exception for your needs. they ticketed a pregant lady who sat down on the steps. I could get a ticket if I put my bag on the seat next to me. Sure, "boston does it", but that doesn't automaticly mean it will work here. The MTA is the text book definition of murphy's law. anything that can go wrong, not only will go wrong, but already has gone wrong. Just about every other city in the country has mainline OPTO or ATO, but here the union throws a tantrum. If they did change the rules, all it would take is one incedent and the whole thing would go up in smoke. If the doors shut on the dogs' tail, I don't think he would take it very well.

People like you are just one sub section of society. everyone can't have everything they want because there would be some people who would be left out. simple example, being near some types of dogs gets my allergies to flare up. why should I have to suffer becuase you want something. I know what you're going to say next "you don't have to be in the car with the dog". I might also point out that the converse is just as much a vaild point, the dog doesn't have to be in the car with me. more so if I go on first and was getting off after. there are people out there who would be much more upset if they saw you get on the subway with your dog then I have gotten. Face it; It's never going to happen.