Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#570342  by amtbuff

I dont want to say this will never happen. But not anytime soon. What would be the benefit of the train tunnel for the city? And from where Bay Ridge or Manhattan?
 #639890  by motorman1

The money is there...Build the cross harbor tunnel and the subway connection to Staten Island..! Infrustructure for the future..! Not polluting tractor trailers and mta express buses that are empty!! Obama wants a green economy ,heres the start!!!
 #640682  by Fan Railer

well while your at it, why not extend the E to staten island, it's more direct. and in addition, extend second ave ln to connect to the E before plunging into the harbor while your at it. but keep all planned provisions into brooklyn. :wink:

on the other hand, just build a cannon that shoots people from south ferry to st george and vice versa. much more efficient lol. :P
 #641899  by JCGUY

You'd be better off with a truck tunnel under NY Harbbor than a rail freight tunnel. Nadler is like every other northeastern lib. with trains on the brain. This is an excellent takedown of the idiotic rail freight tunnel idea:

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/878

I guess when you take a burgeoning metro area and refuse to add road capacity for 40+ years, a rail freight tunnel might seem appealing, but no, there's no way, never, ever. I would like to see you tunnel advocates ask Amazon.com, CVS.com to send your books/meds to you via locomotive though.
 #641914  by CarterB

Can ANY subway routing from St.George to South Ferry Manhattan via Brooklyn actually, and in reality, beat the time/s of the SI Ferry?
 #642074  by Fan Railer

CarterB wrote:Can ANY subway routing from St.George to South Ferry Manhattan via Brooklyn actually, and in reality, beat the time/s of the SI Ferry?
probably not unless you have nonstop trains from SI st george to downtown via brooklyn.
and if not then you need a MAGLEV LOL! :P
 #642078  by FRN9

JCGUY wrote:You'd be better off with a truck tunnel under NY Harbbor than a rail freight tunnel. Nadler is like every other northeastern lib. with trains on the brain. This is an excellent takedown of the idiotic rail freight tunnel idea:

http://www.tollroadsnews.com/node/878

I guess when you take a burgeoning metro area and refuse to add road capacity for 40+ years, a rail freight tunnel might seem appealing, but no, there's no way, never, ever. I would like to see you tunnel advocates ask Amazon.com, CVS.com to send your books/meds to you via locomotive though.
The Northeast, California and Texas (because of oil) are the only states contributing more to federal government than they get back in spending. So if we want to spend money on trains, or universal health care, it should be our business. Thank you very much.
 #643303  by JCGUY

The issue of NY paying more into the federal government is a hardy perrenial. That disparity is by choice. NY loves high, progressive income taxes and has lots of high income people. So NYers pay lots more taxes than people in lower income Nebraska, for example. Plus, NYers aren't big fans of military installations -- a huge source of federal outlays (y'all on S.I. know what I mean), and so you "get" less and pay more. If you want to eliminate the disparity, institute a flatter tax code and stick a carrier group in NY harbor. The forthcoming universal health care system will similarly be funded by what's left of the cadre of high income strivers in this area and will do a nice job of carrying the yoke to allow their less well-compensated countrymen to get free medical checkups and diabetes meds.

Anyway, the train tunnel does not do what its supporters pretend it will do. Whether it's financed by federal money, state money or a bake sale is besides the point.
 #674417  by railfan365

One way to pursue politcial support for expediting freight trains to/from Brooklyn and Queens would be to emphasize the reduction in heavy truck traffic that is presently choking up the roads with traffic congestion and air and noise pollution. However, in actually pursuing such a thing, there would be dealing with the tendancy of capitol projects running years over schedule or just plain taking longer than they should, and running way over budget.
 #676615  by korbermeister

Staten Island is just fine with the ferry and the Verrazano Narrows bridge (not to mention the Goethels and Outerbridge). Let Staten Island grow at a slower pace. It's already an overcrowed mess without a subway extension bringing more speculative building, people, etc. If they hadn't built the Verrazano, S.I. may have been an urban vacation paradise not unlike LBI. I'd personally rather them build a light rail line on Richmond ave or along the north coast to help circulate the population w/o having to use cars.
 #684646  by FRN9

Rather than develop a subway to Staten Island because it is part of New York City, maybe the smarter idea would be to trade it with New Jersey for Jersey City and Hoboken (two places that have a subway direct to Manhattan) in return for NY State taking on a certain amount of NJ debt. If Russia could sell Alaska, then why can't New Jersey sell us two cities that are more similar to New York than New York's Staten Island?
 #684692  by korbermeister

FRN9 wrote:Rather than develop a subway to Staten Island because it is part of New York City, maybe the smarter idea would be to trade it with New Jersey for Jersey City and Hoboken (two places that have a subway direct to Manhattan) in return for NY State taking on a certain amount of NJ debt. If Russia could sell Alaska, then why can't New Jersey sell us two cities that are more similar to New York than New York's Staten Island?
Ummmm no. have you ever been to s.i? s.i. is an overbuilt suburb with terrible transit. we'd rather keep j.c. and hoboken.
 #684721  by M&Eman

S.I is New York's because we don't want it!!!! No one wants it really. Its out of the way, has terrible transit, and smells.