Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#41679  by 7 Train

If you haven't knew about it yet, SubTalk at NYCSubway.org (http://talk.nycsubway.org) is closed to posting until further notice.

Apparently there have flames, "abusive and insulting attacks", spreading rumors, threats of libels, abusive and threatning emals, spam between talkers, etc.

Official comment from Dave Pirmamn:

Dear 'Talkers,

Today I received several complaints from various users, ranging from being upset at receiving private, anonymous email from other talkers that were abusive and insulting attacks, one threatening "legal action" for allowing libelous statements against a poster, etc. In fact, I received more complaints today than in the past few months, total.

This is no longer fun for me. It was never my goal to be the "patriarch" of the subway community and I have grown tired of filling that role. Therefore, I've decided I need to take a short vacation from managing the Talk boards, putting them into "Hiatus" like happened once before.

This site started out as a hobby for me, combining an interest in the subway, web site management, programming, etc. I still enjoy those things. What I don't enjoy is people management. I tried the hands off approach, gently encouraging everyone to be polite to each other, but I should have realized that was not going to be a workable long term solution. It was suggested that additional moderators could help lighten the work load but I have not had the time to make the necessary changes to the Subtalk code or to evaluate other packages which might more easily allow multiple moderators. Time spent managing the complaints discouraged me from spending even more time solving a people problem with technical means.

I know this comes at a poor time, what with plenty of exciting Centennial events coming up and lots of important issues like the photo ban proposal requiring discussion and unity. I was going to "sleep on it" tonight and decide tomorrow to do the hiatus but today's load of complaints was not going to allow that, I was too angry to even consider falling asleep so here I am writing this statement.

If the lack of a web board on this site for a little while has side effects like less contributions of photos to nycsubway.org, so be it. As always, I will try to continue to improve the rest of the site, adding new material when it becomes available. But, to avoid being a hypocrite about the issue, I am discontinuing the Amazon "pay boxes" on the site. I appreciate the donations made to-date and thank everyone who has helped offset the costs of keeping this site alive.

Thanks for reading.

Dave
Last edited by 7 Train on Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

#41683  by GP38

It's really sad this had to happen, but I guess Dave needs a break.
Watch for this "sleepy little town" that this board had always been, start to get a lot of traffic through it now.....

#41777  by IslesFan

I was MetsFan4552 on subtalk

#41780  by Terrapin Station

AcelaExpress2005 wrote:Hey - AcelaExpress2005 - R160 Signing in here from SubTalk.

Alternative Sites from SubTalk:

http://forum.nyctba.com
http://www.nycrail.com/cgi-bin/messageboard/view.cgi
http://www.straphangers.org/cgi-bin/ult ... tion=intro
Hey Acela, you seem to be promoting your board an awful lot, especially listing it first...

#41790  by AcelaExpress2005

Terrapin Station wrote:
AcelaExpress2005 wrote:Hey - AcelaExpress2005 - R160 Signing in here from SubTalk.

Alternative Sites from SubTalk:

http://forum.nyctba.com
http://www.nycrail.com/cgi-bin/messageboard/view.cgi
http://www.straphangers.org/cgi-bin/ult ... tion=intro
Hey Acela, you seem to be promoting your board an awful lot, especially listing it first...
There's nothing wrong with that....But, I didn't know SubTalk was shut down until my site was getting hit with alot of traffic with Daves Redirection Link(Which I had no idea about).
 #42096  by Richard Rabinowitz

Hi.... this is Richard... I'm willing to continue any Subtalk threads (with appropriate links) onto Railroad.net... I encourage inviting other Subtalkers onto railroad.net until Pirmann ends his second hiatus...

To Dave: What happened wasn't our fault. Snerts who go around flaming people and sending bad emails happen. Just because a bad day happens shouldn't be reason to shut down Subtalk! (Well, maybe a succession of bad days might be valid... but, we're talking about one day, right?) Item number 2: We, the vast majority who DON'T go around calling people names and DO contribute valid topics to the debate like what Robert Moses did right (or not), DO need a place to gather, banter, and chat. Thank you for providing a message board.

#42098  by 7 Train

This is SubTalk's 2nd hiatus?
 #42102  by Richard Rabinowitz

First hiatus occurred back in 2002, I think. It is premature to call the Subtalk message boards "former" boards unless Pirmann decides to abandon the boards altogether.

#42227  by AcelaExpress2005

7 Train wrote:This is SubTalk's 2nd hiatus?
Yes, The first hiatus occurred back in 2002, where Dave shut down both talks due to consistent flame wars on SubTalk, not to mention, he also said he needed to do some upgrading, etc.

#42356  by 7 Train

Spread the word!

Tell everyone that the Railroad.net NYC Subway forum is open and that those formerly on SubTalk now have have a new place to participate. This means we can boost membership and activity!
 #42370  by ntrainride

Oh man. Why, oh why did those yutz bust hump?? Screwed up a really good thing. No offense but SUBTALK was by far the "best" place for sizzling hot data. Best format for pure information. (Easiest to read). Geared towards, dare I say it, an adult audience.

I have been on this board for years but severely cut down on my participation after it went to the "busy" style we see here. Lots of (to me) distractions from the star of the show, the messages. Not that there's not good stuff here. But the multiple boxes, the smileys, the strain on those of us lacking newer terminals and/or broadband, due to the increased screen finery...I don't know. To me, the subject has enough interest to be simply, and purely, text on a plain white background. RAILROAD.NET, once you get beyond the frills, does have good stuff. But SUBTALK had a unique style all its' own.

Okay, I hadda get that out. Hope to continue looking in here but, please, please, let's all hope to see SUBTALK up again.

#42375  by arrow

Welcome everyone, this is a great opportunity to start some interesting discussions here on this forum at railroad.net.

Enjoy!

#42444  by GP38

Ntrainride, I do agree with you. I liked the simplicity of SubTalk, and the fact that you could easily respond to people directly the way the threads are set up. I don't particularly care for these "list" type forums, which all the alternatives are. That being said, Harry's nycrail.com board, and this railroad.net board seem to be the best over all the other alternatives. The strappies board and theBVE board are just way to cluttered for me. I can't handle all the moving avatars at the BVE board (no offense, it's great for the younger crowd that love that sort of thing), but it's just to much "extras". I like it simple.
This one is probably the best of the SubTalk alternatives, although also like Harry's board. We have to make the best of it.

#42731  by F40

Every web forum has a unique style of its own. I don't mind the RR.net's forum. I think it gives a style of professionalism. (At least on the NJT board)