Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#538290  by SubaruWRX

everyone should get off as stated but yet I see about 4 people still on the train as the train goes around the loop at the bowing Green/city hall stop. What happens if you get caught?

#538307  by RearOfSignal

You go through the loop pass through the old City Hall station and end up on the northbound track. It's the Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall Station not Bowling Green. Bowling Green Station loops along the South Ferry Station. I would assume not much would happen to you as long as the train isn't going to be yarded and if they are going to open the doors once they loop. But there are yards tracks at Brooklyn Bridge, so if its being yarded they would most likely clear the train anyway before moving.

#538313  by SubaruWRX

RearOfSignal wrote:You go through the loop pass through the old City Hall station and end up on the northbound track. It's the Brooklyn Bridge - City Hall Station not Bowling Green. Bowling Green Station loops along the South Ferry Station. I would assume not much would happen to you as long as the train isn't going to be yarded and if they are going to open the doors once they loop. But there are yards tracks at Brooklyn Bridge, so if its being yarded they would most likely clear the train anyway before moving.
So would it be safe to stay on the train? I had plan on getting a transit membership just to see the old city hall station I see they have a tour this year coming up.

#538320  by RearOfSignal

If you want to try stay in the conductor's car and ask if you can? It might be going through or looping or being yarded, wouldn't want to get left on a yard track in the tunnel.

#538423  by Kamen Rider

the city hall loop is mainline track. You may stay on the train. the announcment is "This is the last downtown stop on this train. the next stop is Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform.

South Ferry inner loop from Bowling Green is not a rideable route.

#538514  by devbeep2

The yard tracks just south of the Brooklyn Bridge station are out of service, and have been for a long time. It's very easy to stay on the 6, and I doubt anyone would care.

#538543  by Trainmaster5

The yard(lay-up) tracks are in service and 3rd rail power has not been removed. You may ride around the City Hall loop unless the train is being removed from passenger service for some reason.

#539364  by SubaruWRX

Thanks

#539453  by b&p rupture

Kamen Rider wrote:the city hall loop is mainline track. You may stay on the train. the announcment is "This is the last downtown stop on this train. the next stop is Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform.

Follow any instructions given, by crew or Sta PA, as the status of the City hall loop track (mainline or not) has changed several times over the years.

The 2 yard tracks S/O BBDGE station, were restored to service about 10 years ago, and in fact a train was stored there weekdays during midday hours for a while.

#539501  by Kamen Rider

b/p rupture wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:the city hall loop is mainline track. You may stay on the train. the announcment is "This is the last downtown stop on this train. the next stop is Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall on the uptown platform.

Follow any instructions given, by crew or Sta PA, as the status of the City hall loop track (mainline or not) has changed several times over the years.

The 2 yard tracks S/O BBDGE station, were restored to service about 10 years ago, and in fact a train was stored there weekdays during midday hours for a while.
I've had two TSSs, six months apart, give me the same information about the loop being main line and that it will stay like that (untill the HLS situation hits the fan again :roll: ).

#539562  by Robert Paniagua

Trainmaster5 wrote:The yard(lay-up) tracks are in service and 3rd rail power has not been removed. You may ride around the City Hall loop unless the train is being removed from passenger service for some reason.
Yeah, unlike the Bowdoin Loop uphere in Boston's Blue Line, even if the train is not being yarded, MBTA Admins strictly forbid any non-employee (civilian customer rider) from riding in the Bowdoin lood, if you don't get off, they'll call a supervisor on you. But on the #6 at Brooklyn Bridge, it's nice to know you can ride on a loop other than at South ferry, as long as they don't pull a Bowdoin MBTA Blue line there (Last stop no passengers).

#539741  by RearOfSignal

Robert Paniagua wrote:if you don't get off, they'll call a supervisor on you.
Oh no, not a supervisor! :P