Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#531998  by rail10

My question is will computerized subway cars like those found in the washington metrorail and Marta in Atlanta subway cars will run on a conventional subway like the NYC one?

#532054  by Kamen Rider

#532090  by RearOfSignal

I think he means subway trains without a motorman. Not even OPTO, rather NPTO(No Person Train Operation). L Line still has someone at the controls.

#532095  by Kamen Rider

well, thats what those are, they just don't run that way at the moment, but they most likely could if they had to.
 #589015  by Disney Guy

(copied from another forum)

I'm told that San Francisco's BART and Washington DC's subway are capable of driverless operation, but still have a driver because the public is apprehensive about riding on driverless trains.

Something like 15 years ago I heard someone in SF telling of a time when the driver got out of the train to inspect something and the train closed its doors and left him behind. No one at any of the later stations realized anything was different.

Both SF and DC are conventional in that there are no partitions on the platform edge to close off the trackway when there is no train in the station.
 #589043  by 3rdrail

Disney Guy wrote:(copied from another forum)

I'm told that San Francisco's BART and Washington DC's subway are capable of driverless operation, but still have a driver because the public is apprehensive about riding on driverless trains.

Something like 15 years ago I heard someone in SF telling of a time when the driver got out of the train to inspect something and the train closed its doors and left him behind. No one at any of the later stations realized anything was different.

Both SF and DC are conventional in that there are no partitions on the platform edge to close off the trackway when there is no train in the station.
A good example of that is the SF Airport Tram (AirTrain):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orU05H89wls
 #589058  by arrow

Washington's Metro is computer controlled. Operators sit in the front cab, but only make announcements and open and close the doors. They can, however, take control of the train if need be.
 #589249  by jonnhrr

Also the PATCO line in Philadelphia/Camden NJ the first in this country at least.

In London the Central line and I believe the Jubilee and Victoria lines are automatic although they still have a person in the cab.

In London the Docklands Light Railway (which is spite of its name is in many ways more like a heavy rail system) is completely driverless although there is a train attendant who rides on the train (although not in the front seat) and can take over in case of problems.

Jon
 #594034  by hi55us

the airtran in jamaica and the airtran in newark is computer controled (I'm pretty sure). Maybe automated trains are the answer to the mta's budget problem.
 #594133  by Radioguy

The Taxi & Limousine Commission would love that. :)

I know I would ride the subway less often if there were no conductor, and I think most would agree. (especially at night) All too often they are the last vestige of the civilized world on a moving train.
 #594759  by arrow

Radioguy wrote:The Taxi & Limousine Commission would love that. :)

I know I would ride the subway less often if there were no conductor, and I think most would agree. (especially at night) All too often they are the last vestige of the civilized world on a moving train.
I agree that a conductor is required - if for nothing else than to give the passengers some peace of mind. That's why I like the way the Washington DC Metro operates. They have a conductor in the front car still, even though the train operates itself. He/she still makes announcements, opens and closes the door, and ensures the platform is clear before allowing the train to depart for the next stop.

Although of course in NYCT world, the conductor is in the middle car so unless you're in one of the two middle cars, there's really not much the conductor can do to help if you need it.
 #594822  by Radioguy

arrow wrote:That's why I like the way the Washington DC Metro operates. They have a conductor in the front car still, even though the train operates itself. He/she still makes announcements, opens and closes the door, and ensures the platform is clear before allowing the train to depart for the next stop.

Although of course in NYCT world, the conductor is in the middle car so unless you're in one of the two middle cars, there's really not much the conductor can do to help if you need it.
You mean the operator handles both duties? In NYC we have both an operator and a conductor, and short of a roaming conductor, it's better than just an operator at the front. Occasionally, I see another employee in a rear cab as well. Can't beat that even if he's off duty.
 #594831  by arrow

The operator basically does the NYCT conductor's duties, they don't drive the train. I like having the conductor in the middle of the train in our (NYC) subway though like you said.
 #594911  by 3rdrail

In the pre-budget crisis past, it was common to see a pair of uniformed New York Transit Police Officers walking from car to car at any given time prior to the merger. They would randomly roam the system. The bad guys never knew where they were going to be and many crimes in progress were intercepted. Armed with 36" batons, when they entered a car, they had a stabilizing influence on whatever disturbance might be taking place - everything from drunks and panhandlers to armed robberies and rapes.

Do you think that the riding public would accept an automated train without a conductor, but with similiar police patrol ?

http://www.fotomundo.net/Galleries/Cube ... ay_std.jpg