Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#523652  by nikon01

As a frequent rider of the NYC Subway, I am always interested in the way that operations are run. I ride the 6 train everyday, and was always under the impression that the automated announcements on the new trains were operated by the conductors. However, I read in another thread that the announcements were actually run by transponders on the tracks. Does anyone know how these annoucements are played? And what about the other announcements, such as the "Remain Alert" and "Do not block the doors" announcements? Are they run by the conductor or the system?

#523823  by Kamen Rider

the "This is " " " is controled by the train's odimiter. they know exactly how far the train has travled and the annoucment is trigered automaticly.

The "This a " bound " ect, is connected to the doors opening.

the rest are triggered by the crew.

#525613  by SheWhoCommutes

The odometer thing makes sense. More than once, I've been on a train where the announcements are just "off" enough that they're one stop ahead of / behind where the train actually is - e.g. the announcement says "This is Fulton St." when it's actually Wall St. I guess there's a way for the crew to override it if they notice it's out of sync?

I would think that the "stand clear of the closing doors" announcement would be linked to the doors closing.

I must say, the automated announcements are really nice... you can actually understand what they say!

#525987  by Kamen Rider

the stand clear annoucment attached to the door controls would be a little wacky (for lack of a better word). while it would be one less button to press, then there would be no overriding it, and it would keep repeating if the doors were recycled.

#525998  by SheWhoCommutes

A little software change could fix that. If the train hasn't moved since the "stand clear" announcement was played, assume the doors were recycled, and don't replay it.

Can you tell I'm a software engineer? :wink:

If it's just a matter of one less button to press, it's probably more trouble than it's worth to make the change. Once you touch the software, all kinds of things can go wrong.

#528943  by b&p rupture

Kamen Rider wrote:the stand clear annoucment attached to the door controls would be a little wacky (for lack of a better word). while it would be one less button to press, then there would be no overriding it, and it would keep repeating if the doors were recycled.
SheWhoCommutes wrote:A little software change could fix that. If the train hasn't moved since the "stand clear" announcement was played, assume the doors were recycled, and don't replay it.
Manual control is better, as there are times, after initiating the closing doors sequence, the doors must re-open and sometimes remain open.
(Holding lights, investigating a door problem, connection, etc.) When it's time again to reclose, no announcement now, as it's being overridden by the software ASSUMING it was solely due to "recycling" of the doors.

As to auto announcements being ahead or behind, a crew member would have to reset the location of the train, to overcome this. And for reroutes and other things as well. It's not an odometer in the strictest sense, it constantly measures the distance travelled since last resetting to "locate itself", so to speak, counting feet and comparing the distance (Using the previous example) of say Fulton St. to Wall St, based on the selected route, direction, and type of service (lcl or exp).