Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Head-end View

Word had it last month in these threads that R-40's were disappearing from the B-Line. Apparently not so........at least not yet. I rode that line today from mid-Manhattan to Brighton Beach and back on an R-40 train (lead units were 4331 south and 4241 north). And I'm happy to note that every other B train I saw on the route in both directions was either an R-40 or R-40M. So all is not lost yet.

But they do seem to be gone from the W-line. They're all R-68's now and even the translucent/blurry cab windows are mostly covered with a black patch; they're no fun to ride. So I rode an N-train, my first R-160 ride from midtown to Queensboro Plaza and back. Lead units 8868 north and 8742 south. That 8868 must have just went into service this week. The interior was the most clean and shiny subway car I've ever ridden; except for my first R-40 ride when they went into service on the E-F lines in the spring of 1968!

The R-160 is a nice car. And you can even see half decently thru that blurry cab door window when you're outside the tunnel at least, like at Queensboro Plaza. But I predict those electronic info displays are too high-tech for NYC subways, and will all crap out in a couple of years and not get fixed. I bet they'll be replaced with standard paper route strip maps. Those cars have a good sound to them BTW. Those AC motors have a pleasing whine similar to the LIRR's M-7's.

Anyway, a good day's riding, all things considered. :-D

by jtrain22

Well it looks like you had a great trip. As for those R68/As they are fun to ride on the Q D and B lines when they go outside.Since you can look out the side windows. And 8868 is an siemens set which was OOS with gearbox problems but it just came back into service. And those elerontic display is called the FINDs and some already dont even work they get stuck a lot.

Btw how did the motors sound on the pre GOH R40s? Does it sound diffient than they do today?

by Head-end View

Sorry jtrain, I don't remember much about motor sounds in the pre-AC powered era at all. I only started noticing that on AC powered trains because they're higher pitched.

The R-68's were nice when they were new 20 years ago, and they only used the corner cabs at that time. Yes you can see out the side windows on the els, but that doesn't compare to watching track and signals from the front.

BTW, as was mentioned in an earlier post, those worn out R-40's do have their roofs sealed with duct tape. I couldn't believe it!

by Robert Paniagua

Oh wow, Ian I'm glad you had a good time on board an R160, I haven't been on one yet, but I look forward to ride one, especially that you can still see out front despite the fuzzy window but it's great for filming and pictures.

by midnight_ride

Word had it last month in these threads that R-40's were disappearing from the B-Line. Apparently not so........at least not yet. I rode that line today from mid-Manhattan to Brighton Beach and back on an R-40 train (lead units were 4331 south and 4241 north). And I'm happy to note that every other B train I saw on the route in both directions was either an R-40 or R-40M. So all is not lost yet.
I take the B to and from work every morning and evening, and while I do get an R68 every so often, it has mostly been R40Ms-- the slants seem to be less of a presence than they used to.

I'll tell you what, though, I'm not looking forward to having the R68 eventually replace the R40s-- those 68s have a terrible seating arrangement and not much room to stand. Bench seating seems to be much better for swallowing the crowds. I've often wondered if they couldn't modify the seats in the R68s (or the R46s and R44s for that matter) for bench seats. With more people riding the subway than ever, seems like it could be a good way to increase capacity, even if only slightly.

by Tom6921

Also, are any R32s and R40s slated for preservation. I believe the New York Transit Museum should get some and not have every R32 and R40 reefed.
  by illinidorry

Anyone know if there are any R40 slants left on the N line? I usually find myself on the N on the weekends visiting a friend in Astoria for maybe the past 6 months and have been on the lookout for slants and I don't think I've seen any since I've been riding the N.